Subject: "Ranking" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74004
Show all folders

ValkenarWed 19-Feb-20 10:47 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74004, "Ranking"

Hey, all, in today's CF how do you deal with ranking? The thought of having to solo/duo up is the thing keeping me from playing even occasionally. Have people just adapted and learned to solo effectively? I never had the stomach for soloing, and I certainly wouldn't know to make it acceptably fast (40-60 hours to hero) these days.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Ranking, Nalasul, 21-Feb-20 07:48 PM, #5
Reply Most mercs now give bonus exp nt, incognito, 19-Feb-20 01:53 PM, #2
Reply Use mercs, but your char impacts this a bit, lasentia, 20-Feb-20 10:03 AM, #3
     Reply Mercs heal super fast anyway, incognito, 20-Feb-20 12:52 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Mercs heal super fast anyway, Java, 24-Feb-20 04:02 PM, #6
Reply RE: Ranking, RandomNewb (Anonymous), 19-Feb-20 12:13 PM, #1

NalasulFri 21-Feb-20 07:48 PM
Member since 07th Nov 2019
215 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74011, "RE: Ranking"
In response to Reply #0

Mercs giving XP bonus helps, as does the constant 40% xp boost and/or even more generous bonus xp periods. You could also just commit to only ranking with groups.

incognitoWed 19-Feb-20 01:53 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74006, "Most mercs now give bonus exp nt"
In response to Reply #0

Nt

lasentiaThu 20-Feb-20 10:03 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74007, "Use mercs, but your char impacts this a bit"
In response to Reply #2

I would say always use a merc, even when they no longer help combat wise. Just drag them around solely for the xp boost. Thats what I did last time I played, and I was doing a thief. Find a low damage high xp NPC, haave the giant rescue, and start using circle. Worked easily enough. I think the Giant from Galadon is neutral so goodies can use that one.

If you are a class that can buff the merc, all the better. Transmuters and bards do well, healer less so at later ranks just cause you suffer from minimal damage output. I could solo rank a bard using a merc in 50 hours pretty easily.Anthem, battaglia and frenzy talismans go a long way in making the merc more useful. I seem to remember healing songs not healing mercs though, but I don't actually remember.

incognitoThu 20-Feb-20 12:52 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#74008, "Mercs heal super fast anyway"
In response to Reply #3

If they survive the fight, they are good to go again without much delay.

I'd agree with your idea of always having a merc, except that my issue is normally that I level up too fast for my skills/spells/supps/songs. Only time I really feel the need to use a merc is if I found some sweet item of limited gear on a sub-level 11 character, and need to hit 11 before a crash or being forced to log off.

But yeah, if you know where low dam high exp mobs are, you can rank nicely with a merc.

I've seen people using the giant to kill the Juju zombie outside the maus, even.

JavaMon 24-Feb-20 04:02 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#74014, "RE: Mercs heal super fast anyway"
In response to Reply #4

I remember being surprised fairly recently that mercs can sleep immediately after combat. That with their super-regen means they can get back to 100% from close to 0 in about 3 ticks. Perfect for something like the Juju at the entrance to the maus.

RandomNewb (Anonymous)Wed 19-Feb-20 12:13 PM
Charter member
#74005, "RE: Ranking"
In response to Reply #0

I haven't had any real trouble ranking, including doing classes such as a necromancer or druid. There's usually some people to group with, and if not, stay logged in a bit and usually someone will come along.

Most of the heroes I've done lately have come in around 50-70 hours, I think. Haven't done an invoker in a while, but that would take longer I expect just from mastering spells. Just be efficient in your ranking, and take advantage of quests and down time to do what you can. I had a shifter doing a few ranks killing one mob over and over (boring) while waiting for a group to come.

Alternately, if you see a certain cabal is in power, you could start with a character for that, get help on the way up, and probably reach the pinnacle in time for the power swing.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #74004 Previous topic | Next topic