Subject: "What's your favorite race?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73660
Show all folders

ShandaeThu 05-Dec-19 09:47 AM
Member since 11th Nov 2019
126 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73660, "What's your favorite race?"

I've always been partial to Gnomes and Elves. I like all the practices for gnomes and I'm a sucker for seeing an entire skill list of 100%'s heh. What's your go to and why?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Drow, then any race with sneak or quiet movement, incognito, 10-Dec-19 06:18 AM, #20
Reply You think everyone uses triggers, Bemused, 10-Dec-19 07:34 AM, #21
     Reply You clearly lack the ability to distinguish everyone fr..., incognito, 11-Dec-19 03:14 AM, #22
Reply Fire giant for me, robdarken_, 09-Dec-19 03:24 PM, #18
Reply RE: Fire giant for me, Shandae, 11-Dec-19 09:08 AM, #23
Reply RE: What's your favorite race?, Ergush, 09-Dec-19 07:18 AM, #17
Reply Halfies, cause I'm an idiot. (n/t), Onewingedangel, 05-Dec-19 04:22 PM, #11
Reply Any elf, but mostly W-Elf, lasentia, 05-Dec-19 02:18 PM, #5
Reply RE: What's your favorite race?, Illanthos, 05-Dec-19 12:55 PM, #4
Reply RE: What's your favorite race?, Jhyrbian, 05-Dec-19 11:50 AM, #3
Reply But for why? n/t, Shandae, 05-Dec-19 03:18 PM, #6
     Reply RE: But for why?, Jhyrbian, 05-Dec-19 03:54 PM, #7
          Reply Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest giant ..., Lhydia, 05-Dec-19 03:58 PM, #8
               Reply RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi..., Jhyrbian, 05-Dec-19 04:10 PM, #9
                    Reply RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi..., Shandae, 05-Dec-19 04:22 PM, #10
                    Reply RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi..., Jhyrbian, 05-Dec-19 05:06 PM, #12
                    Reply Because align., Jormyr, 08-Dec-19 10:37 AM, #16
Reply Orcs., Ishuli, 05-Dec-19 11:07 AM, #2
Reply Hey!, Jormyr, 08-Dec-19 12:09 AM, #13
     Reply Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?, rex spangler, 08-Dec-19 10:25 AM, #14
          Reply RE: Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?, Jormyr, 08-Dec-19 10:32 AM, #15
               Reply RE: Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?, Jhyrbian, 09-Dec-19 03:34 PM, #19
                    Reply Bit of both, Jormyr, 12-Dec-19 01:11 AM, #24
Reply Felar, JohnEveryMan, 05-Dec-19 10:05 AM, #1

incognitoTue 10-Dec-19 06:18 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73681, "Drow, then any race with sneak or quiet movement"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 10-Dec-19 06:18 AM

Unless I have word of recall in my class abilities or a wand.

Because I detest chase triggers/aliases.

Drow over elf for more pk freedom.

BemusedTue 10-Dec-19 07:34 AM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
663 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73682, "You think everyone uses triggers"
In response to Reply #20

You clearly lack the ability to decipher who uses them and who doesn't.

incognitoWed 11-Dec-19 03:14 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73687, "You clearly lack the ability to distinguish everyone fr..."
In response to Reply #21

I die far less often when someone can't just hit a key to dash murder me.

Also I've seen evidence of triggers in logs from my enemies' perspectives, like where they attempt an opening attack on me each time I walk in and out of the room even though they are held by a fillet.

They are used enough that it makes a difference. I also know a lot of people escape me because I don't use pursuit triggers or aliases.

robdarken_Mon 09-Dec-19 03:20 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#73678, "Fire giant for me"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Mon 09-Dec-19 03:24 PM

Because they can be anti-paladins, and therefore mages. Sure, Giant rangers can cast some spells, but anti-paladins have sleeks and are clearly more magey. I think some of the latest anti-paladin spells come from more of a pact with evil outsiders, but a non-mage couldn't handle them, and the lot of them are pure magic anyway.

I always found it appealing that one of the very dimmest races, even among the giants, can brute force their way through the doors to some of the most powerful magic around, and overcome their obvious limitations with sheer willpower.

Even the most heroic Fire Giants have an INT score approximating only the human average, but they are capable of being wise. A level one Fire Giant is something like 100 years-old, so I like to imagine the best of them learn a lot in that time, the hard way, with hundreds of years left to experience.

I like to think that this experience, their personal intensity, and that the anti-paladin class almost mirrors them philosophically is what allows them to claw out their place as the only real Giant mages.

There's a place for really intellectual, or sneakier anti-paladins, but I feel the class would be thematically poorer without Fire Giants. And if my character is going to be smart I'd rather just be a necromancer.

ShandaeWed 11-Dec-19 09:08 AM
126 posts
#73688, "RE: Fire giant for me"
In response to Reply #18

That was very thorough, thank you for the look through your lens. Well spoken.

ErgushMon 09-Dec-19 07:18 AM
Member since 31st Aug 2017
101 posts
#73677, "RE: What's your favorite race?"
In response to Reply #0

I like a race that I can manually put in a language change. Dwarf, Orc, Gobbys, felar(who would have guessed!), fire giant, cloud giant, etc.

I find that having to think about a specific way to type makes more get more immersed in the RP for that character. While i Have tried to add an "accent" to humans and other characters, I never seem to stick with them.

OnewingedangelThu 05-Dec-19 04:22 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
#73671, "Halfies, cause I'm an idiot. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0

Nothing

lasentiaThu 05-Dec-19 02:17 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73665, "Any elf, but mostly W-Elf"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 05-Dec-19 02:18 PM

Can't argue with 23 int, 24 dex, 22 Chr and acute vision.
Acute vision alone is really pretty great. I do wish they had perma sneak like the other elves, but oh well.

High elves for 25 int, and swiftstrike. Perma sneak is nice too. Resist curse is just a little extra bonus.

And dark elves are also nice for the 24/24, but I find faerie fire lacking compared to swiftstrike. And there are no d-elf bards. I do think d-elf lends itself to the best RP arcs though, compared to the others, but I never could play evils well.

IllanthosThu 05-Dec-19 12:55 PM
Member since 14th Oct 2011
274 posts
#73664, "RE: What's your favorite race?"
In response to Reply #0

I used to play a lot of arials before the int nerf.

I like theorycrafting (but rarely playing) felar.

For RP I enjoy elves and fire giants.

JhyrbianThu 05-Dec-19 11:50 AM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73663, "RE: What's your favorite race?"
In response to Reply #0

#stormgiantmasterrace

ShandaeThu 05-Dec-19 03:18 PM
126 posts
#73666, "But for why? n/t"
In response to Reply #3

n/t

JhyrbianThu 05-Dec-19 03:54 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73667, "RE: But for why?"
In response to Reply #6

because I dunno any other races with near immunity to an element, physical resist are giant sized and have no vulns.

LhydiaThu 05-Dec-19 03:58 PM
2379 posts
#73668, "Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest giant ..."
In response to Reply #7

gr

JhyrbianThu 05-Dec-19 04:10 PM
917 posts
#73669, "RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi..."
In response to Reply #8

the question really should be, why doesn't everyone play storm giants?

ShandaeThu 05-Dec-19 04:22 PM
126 posts
#73670, "RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi..."
In response to Reply #9

Excellent answer heh. I was legitimately asking why not being a sarcastic jerk lol. I'll have to try one some day. I've never played a single giant.

JhyrbianThu 05-Dec-19 05:06 PM
917 posts
#73672, "RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi..."
In response to Reply #10

yea it's cool, I, on the otherhand, am a sarcastic jerk. but yea, #stormgiantmasterrace

JormyrSun 08-Dec-19 10:37 AM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
419 posts
#73676, "Because align."
In response to Reply #9

Would probably be my #1 reason. You mean to tell me murdering people for their shinies is BAD?? WTF is wrong with you!?

Secondly, I swear Neppy said once that they have among the worst stat setups due to the generally exponential scaling of stats. IE: Anything storm can do, someone else is better at, so you're pretty much a human with some awesome resists.

IshuliThu 05-Dec-19 11:07 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2147 posts
#73662, "Orcs."
In response to Reply #0

I like the others, but Orcs are just the best.

JormyrSun 08-Dec-19 12:08 AM
419 posts
#73673, "Hey!"
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Sun 08-Dec-19 12:09 AM

You can't call orcs, everyone knows they're my favorite! Get your own race!

I mean...I guess after that, I'm a sucker for anything unique and different. Might be why I play Frost Giants and Centaurs, too.

I do play a simply ridiculous number of aerials, too. 25 Dex, permafly, 3 pracs per level, 1 prac per skill, reasonable con and str still? Deal.

rex spanglerSun 08-Dec-19 10:25 AM
Member since 17th Jun 2018
95 posts
#73674, "Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?"
In response to Reply #13

I don't think I'd have the patience for that, but I've never tried.

JormyrSun 08-Dec-19 10:32 AM
419 posts
#73675, "RE: Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?"
In response to Reply #14

Heh. I do one prac for half my skills with orc 16 int :p

So yeah, unless it's stuff that I know is super hard to improve or hard to practice up, once. Sword, enhanced damage, wall of fire, blindness 1'll do fine. Something like maybe...defenses, riposte, maybe flurry, maybe the invoker cloud spells, PW:K, leech unholy blessing or such would be more likely 2.

Gotta get those extra like 5hp in trains! Or save to restore con...which is probably necessary because I only have like 60% in 2nd attack...but hey, feels good.

I just get my highs off the "You have become better at X!"

JhyrbianMon 09-Dec-19 03:34 PM
917 posts
#73679, "RE: Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?"
In response to Reply #15

how much soloing do you do or do you just drag down groups with your chars that have 30% skills?

JormyrThu 12-Dec-19 01:11 AM
419 posts
#73691, "Bit of both"
In response to Reply #19

These characters were often during my days of 12am-3am playing, so watching the skill improvements gave me something to do and happy-times, but those hours if someone wanted a group, no-one ever complains who they get. You notice the difference, but also skills go up pretty quick so most of these would be 60-70 quickly. From there, it's not so "drag down".

JohnEveryManThu 05-Dec-19 10:05 AM
Member since 25th Aug 2012
247 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#73661, "Felar"
In response to Reply #0

One of the dumber (mechanically) races. But enough wis for 3 pracs per level. The high HP and good natural
melee make them very easy to play, I honestly can't think of a better newb/noob friendly combo than felar assassin.

Beyond mechanics they have a great history and racial quirks but aren't completely locked into any stereotypes.

My second favourite is SAURIANS. Whenever they get implemented
Fingers crossed.

Sent from my Iphone

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #73660 Previous topic | Next topic