Subject: "Door bashing, battleragers/warriors, and you." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #7287
Show all folders

vargalSat 12-Feb-05 09:02 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7287, "Door bashing, battleragers/warriors, and you."

For a long time now I've lived with the pain that is being summoned into a locked room as a battlerager and being stuck there for eternity. I haven't always suffered in silence, however today is the day I kick a dead horse in the balls yet again.

My idea: Door bash or "overpower door".

1) Only be useable out of combat

2) Have a moderate length, hidden, timer on it (ie. You're still too bruised to batter down another door)

3) Inflict damage of varying intensities on any character who used the skill, with a chance for bleeding depending on what the door was made of. Damage would probably be similiar to that of calling truesight without the head.

4) Be totally useless against many doors, for example the big rock door in front of the troll cave in the pass of Gol'galath perhaps, or maybe just really magical doors in places where solo exploring shouldn't be viable anyhow.

5) Useable without the head.

If anyone else has anything to add to this, I welcome your in put. Just so long as it isn't "battle ragers don't need more powers".

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Door bashing, battleragers/warriors, and you., nepenthe, 12-Feb-05 03:16 PM, #5
     Reply RE: Door bashing, battleragers/warriors, and you., Straklaw, 12-Feb-05 03:44 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Door bashing, battleragers/warriors, and you., Wilhath, 12-Feb-05 04:36 PM, #2
          Reply I had a feeling..., Straklaw, 12-Feb-05 05:19 PM, #3
     Reply You wouldn't have to, The Mass, 12-Feb-05 06:45 PM, #4
          Reply RE: You wouldn't have to, Valguarnera, 14-Feb-05 10:52 AM, #6
               Reply Ok, it might not be as easy to do as we'd hoped, howeve..., Manden, 15-Feb-05 03:46 AM, #7

nepentheSat 12-Feb-05 09:02 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
3430 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7288, "RE: Door bashing, battleragers/warriors, and you."
In response to Reply #0

I'm way too lazy to revisit every door in the game and flag them appropriately bashable or not.

I'm way too lazy to revisit every door in my handful of areas to do that.

StraklawSat 12-Feb-05 03:44 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#7289, "RE: Door bashing, battleragers/warriors, and you."
In response to Reply #5

I'd be happy without the skill, if we could just tear down the relevant rooms in major cities. Honestly, what purpose does it serve (aside from the obvious summon-trap) to have key-less, locked rooms in major cities?

WilhathSat 12-Feb-05 04:36 PM
Member since 19th May 2003
528 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7290, "RE: Door bashing, battleragers/warriors, and you."
In response to Reply #1

The room in Galadon is not keyless.

StraklawSat 12-Feb-05 05:19 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#7291, "I had a feeling..."
In response to Reply #2

Somehow I knew if I posted that, there'd be a key SOMEWHERE that I just never knew about.

The MassSat 12-Feb-05 06:45 PM
74 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7292, "You wouldn't have to"
In response to Reply #5

As much as I don't like the intial idea, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement. Just make the default for every door unbashable, and make the few common doors that ragers get summoned to (Galadon, Balator) bashable. Then, when they complain about not being able to bash down obscure_door in obscure_area, growl and threaten to change it back to the way it was.

ValguarneraMon 14-Feb-05 10:52 AM
6904 posts
#7313, "RE: You wouldn't have to"
In response to Reply #4

As much as I don't like the intial idea, it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to implement.

Pet peeve. If someone like Nep who has been coding here for 700 years thinks it would be a pain to implement, it probably would be. Some things sound hard but are really simple. Other things sound easy until you try to find a spot in the code to do them.

Just make the default for every door unbashable, and make the few common doors that ragers get summoned to (Galadon, Balator) bashable. Then, when they complain about not being able to bash down obscure_door in obscure_area, growl and threaten to change it back to the way it was.

Except now when you get summoned, you have to play a guessing game: Is it a bashable door, or should I throw my favorite opener and cross my fingers? There'd be no IC rationale apparently. I don't like doing a half-assed implementation like that.

The bigger issues:
1) Devalues the ability to pick locks and use Relock, particularly the thieves who invest a number of skills in that sort of thing.
2) Subverts author intent regarding difficulty of exploration. A lot of puzzle-ish areas use keys as puzzle. We don't mind if rare characters (thieves with Advanced Picklock and whatnot) get a freebie, but handing it out to tons of people isn't good.
3) Continuity. A lot of doors are described, but the code doesn't "know" much about them beyond their lock and description. We have systems in place for keeping more information on a door, but they haven't been enforced uniformly. There are some doors that just shouldn't be bashable (stone doors, huge gates, weird magicky stuff, etc.), and establishing a sensible pattern would require hand-updating all the old doors (which number in the thousands). That's a lot of time investment, and I'd want to make sure I was getting something really good for it. Because of #1 and #2, I don't think I'd want to spend the time on it.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

MandenTue 15-Feb-05 03:46 AM
Member since 30th Jul 2004
136 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7346, "Ok, it might not be as easy to do as we'd hoped, howeve..."
In response to Reply #6

We don't know how difficult it would be to do this, that is obvious. Many of us players do know how god damn frustrating it is to be summoned into storage rooms in Galadon and not be able to do a damn thing because there's no one to help or your character can't ask for help.

Bash Door could be neat in a few situations, but what I'd really like to see is for those rooms to be no_summon. Why not?

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #7287 Previous topic | Next topic