Subject: "Looking for a client that could help with aliases/trigg..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69959
Show all folders

CptainTwizzleMon 26-Feb-18 11:07 AM
Member since 26th Feb 2018
6 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69959, "Looking for a client that could help with aliases/triggers well, what works good with CF?"

Right now I use mudlet, but i've heard other work well too. I'm trying to get better with setting up aliases and triggers, so suggestions to what could be useful triggers/aliases will also help because i'm pretty new still and you'd guys know better. Also, semi-new at making aliases too so a client that makes it relatively easy would be nice also. If not it's fine, I could learn. But what client works really well with CF for you and why?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply All Russians use JMC, Kstatida, 27-Feb-18 01:57 AM, #11
Reply Not all., Murphy, 02-Mar-18 06:52 AM, #12
     Reply All, Kstatida, 02-Mar-18 07:39 AM, #13
          Reply Wow, #### you too Boris., Murphy, 02-Mar-18 07:17 PM, #14
Reply JMC, Sertius, 26-Feb-18 06:19 PM, #9
Reply RE: Looking for a client that could help with aliases/t..., Thaedan (Anonymous), 26-Feb-18 04:53 PM, #7
Reply RE: Looking for a client that could help with aliases/t..., Thaedan (Anonymous), 26-Feb-18 04:54 PM, #8
Reply RE: Mudlet aliases., Seriphax, 26-Feb-18 01:49 PM, #2
Reply RE: Mudlet aliases., CptainTwizzle, 26-Feb-18 02:57 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Mudlet aliases., Seriphax, 26-Feb-18 04:47 PM, #6
     Reply Aliases explained., Seriphax, 26-Feb-18 09:15 PM, #10
Reply Clients, Relio, 26-Feb-18 12:23 PM, #1
     Reply Zmud aliases., Seriphax, 26-Feb-18 01:53 PM, #3
     Reply Mushclient has been very good to me, Mcbeth, 26-Feb-18 04:20 PM, #5

KstatidaTue 27-Feb-18 01:57 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69976, "All Russians use JMC"
In response to Reply #0

Join the club. It's VERY easy to configure and set up.

MurphyFri 02-Mar-18 06:52 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69987, "Not all."
In response to Reply #11

NT

KstatidaFri 02-Mar-18 07:39 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69988, "All"
In response to Reply #12

Those who don't aren't Russian.

MurphyFri 02-Mar-18 07:17 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#70001, "Wow, #### you too Boris."
In response to Reply #13

NT

SertiusMon 26-Feb-18 06:19 PM
Member since 17th Nov 2008
360 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69973, "JMC"
In response to Reply #0

Amazingly easy to set up

Thaedan (Anonymous)Mon 26-Feb-18 04:53 PM
Charter member
#69971, "RE: Looking for a client that could help with aliases/t..."
In response to Reply #0

I'm on Mac and I use tintin++. Not sure if they have a pre-built binary available for download. If not, then you'd have to build it yourself, which is a pain.

When I was on Windows I used yTin, which is a port of tintin++ for Win32.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Mon 26-Feb-18 04:54 PM
Charter member
#69972, "RE: Looking for a client that could help with aliases/t..."
In response to Reply #7

tintin++ is the same thing Relio referred to as "tt++" below. "tt++" is the name of the executable file.

SeriphaxMon 26-Feb-18 01:49 PM
Member since 26th Feb 2017
145 posts
#69963, "RE: Mudlet aliases."
In response to Reply #0

I also use Mudlet, and to learn alias and trigger use I looked up mudlet triggers on YouTube and watched some of the videos from one of their devs, Vadim. The one thing that I didn’t like about Mudlet was the logs didn’t wrap properly when viewed in notepad. I was on the MUD channel on discord I asked Vadim who is part of that discord server about it and he said it was an issue with notepad, and to use notepad ++ instead and it works great.

If you watch the videos and still can’t figure it out just mention it here and I can try to help out some. The videos aren’t amazingly edited, but they are pretty easy to follow, and I’m not adept at any kind of coding.

CptainTwizzleMon 26-Feb-18 02:57 PM
Member since 26th Feb 2018
6 posts
#69965, "RE: Mudlet aliases."
In response to Reply #2

Thanks, i'll def check those out. I'm more confused about how to setup skill/spell aliases towards a target since CF doesn't really have a targeting system, how did you go about that?

SeriphaxMon 26-Feb-18 04:47 PM
145 posts
#69969, "RE: Mudlet aliases."
In response to Reply #4

It’s part of the string that you put your alias into. I don’t remember off hand, but give me about 3 hrs and I’ll be off work, then I can check what the actual input is. It’s a couple symbols. Not hard once you know what they are.

SeriphaxMon 26-Feb-18 09:12 PM
145 posts
#69975, "Aliases explained."
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Mon 26-Feb-18 09:15 PM

To set up aliases that allow you to target someone/thing you have to use a wildcard. Create a new alias, and where it says Pattern you will enter your alias as well as the wildcard symbol.
I'll use sanctuary as an example, with my preferred alias being 'sanc'.

Beside where it says pattern you would write this:

^sanc (.*)$

The carrot starts the string, sanc is our alias, the (.*) part is the wildcard, which will allow you to enter a target, and the $ symbol closes the string. Skip over the space that says substitution, that's the easy mode way to set them up. The big blank box is where we will tell our alias what it is going to do. In that space we write this:

send ("commune 'sanctuary' " .. matches<2>)

To explain, send tells mudlet that we are sending the following to the mud, as opposed to something like echo which will only display to you, the user. The brackets starts our equation of sorts, everything in the brackets will be sent to the MUD. The quotations act just like their name, everything you type into the quotations will be sent as you type it including spaces, so be mindful of how you present that part. You'll notice that I put a space after sanctuary, if I didn't do that it would add the target to where it says 'sanctuary'. A space and two periods followed by a space separates the commands in the equation. Matches<2> is what represents our wildcard, which allows you to type anything after sanc. That anything will take the place of matches<2> in the equation. Another bracket closes the equation, and we are done.

So now you can type sanc followed by whatever you like and it will send to the mud commune 'sanctuary' . You don't have to use the wildcard if you don't have a different target. If you type sanc by itself then the supplication will target you, just like if you were to type it in the mud without a target.

To set up a targetting alias you have to now incorporate variables. For example, we'll say that t will be your alias to enter a target. In the space next to pattern, type:

^t (.*)$

This works the same as above. The variable comes into play when we enter our script. For that it should look like this:

target = matches<2>

This tells mudlet that you are creating the variable target and that your wildcard is what it will use in place of that variable. I personally would add an echo for your own use, so that you have a visual confirmation of your target. For that just addend the echo after your variable:

target = matches<2>
echo ("Your target has been set to " .. target)

So now when you type t newbie, you are setting the target variable to newbie, and you should as well see "Your target has been set to newbie" on the client. From here you can set up different aliases that incorporate the target variable. So you could set up a murder alias that uses your target variable, and with a couple short commands be attacking other players with a minimum amount of keystrokes. I'll give an example of that. Beside pattern type:

^xx$

Notice that I didn't use a wildcard. That's because we already have the target saved via the target variable. Unless you close your client or change it, mudlet will remember the variable that you input. In the script, you would write:

send ("murder " .. target)

So now when you see Newbie walking around in your PK range, all it takes to jump them is for you to type t newbie and then xx when you see them, and you will automatically try to "murder newbie".

That is the quick version. Hope that it makes sense. I'll leave the link for Vadim's video just in case. I just watched it again for a quick fresher, because I am trash for remembering any kind of codey stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzmcfU_Ri4Q

This of course is just the tip of the iceberg of what someone can do with aliases and triggers, but personally I don't go too deep. Some aliases and a couple quality of life triggers are all that I roll with. I haven't messed around with the mapping utilities of mudlet either, so I have no advice to offer there. I try to memorize everything so that I can just count steps when I run around so that I don't have to rely on sight to get where I want to go.

Any other questions feel free to ask, but I am not especially adept at this kind of thing, it's just something that I also went through not so long ago in my quest to be more than a catchers mitt of PK in the Fields.

Edit to add: the symbols on the page are wrong for matches<2> in the above, instead of greater than and less than symbols they should be square brackets.

RelioMon 26-Feb-18 12:23 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2014
246 posts
#69961, "Clients"
In response to Reply #0

PC:

Cmud
Zmud
wintin

Mac:

tt++

Those are your options. Any work.

SeriphaxMon 26-Feb-18 01:53 PM
145 posts
#69964, "Zmud aliases."
In response to Reply #1

If you end up using Zmud or possibly Cmud as well, this is their page explaining how to set up aliases, there are links on the page that cover triggers and variables as well.

https://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/help6/Intr0179.htm

McbethMon 26-Feb-18 04:20 PM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
#69966, "Mushclient has been very good to me"
In response to Reply #1

I used to use cMUD but found it a little limited in terms of scripting. Plus it kept crashing on me.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69959 Previous topic | Next topic