Subject: "I’m curious. Question about humans, halfies and ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69953
Show all folders

TJHuronSun 25-Feb-18 07:44 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69953, "I’m curious. Question about humans, halfies and intelligence "

For things like skill learning, mental saves, spell saves and any other roll tied to intelligence is it worth the effort trying to max out at 20 or 21? Is the bonus that much better than sticking at 18 just for the 2 practices to learn a skill?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: I’m curious. Question about humans, halfies ..., Zhana, 27-Feb-18 10:10 PM, #6
Reply Actually, there might be very good reason, TJHuron, 28-Feb-18 06:49 PM, #7
     Reply RE: Actually, there might be very good reason, Thaedan (Anonymous), 28-Feb-18 07:15 PM, #8
          Reply I actually didn’t know about the middle age int ..., TJHuron, 28-Feb-18 08:27 PM, #9
Reply Anecdotally it is worth it for skill learning, Mcbeth, 26-Feb-18 04:22 PM, #3
Reply RE: Anecdotally it is worth it for skill learning, Seriphax, 26-Feb-18 04:52 PM, #4
Reply Why don't you just wear those cool glasses?, Kstatida, 26-Feb-18 02:49 AM, #1
     Reply Of course you’d focus on that part of the questi..., TJHuron, 26-Feb-18 08:33 AM, #2
          Reply I addressed both parts of your question, Kstatida, 27-Feb-18 02:02 AM, #5

ZhanaTue 27-Feb-18 10:10 PM
Member since 02nd Jul 2017
15 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69981, "RE: I’m curious. Question about humans, halfies ..."
In response to Reply #0

Since so many things are affected by INT there is no good reason not to max it out as early as possible.

Spells can be INT checked to work

Everything Masters quicker, Some classes like Invokers shouldn't even ask. All skills have more practice % per point of INT

Saves vs some spells or songs require INT

Help files indicate more '

TJHuronWed 28-Feb-18 06:47 PM
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69982, "Actually, there might be very good reason"
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Wed 28-Feb-18 06:49 PM

It's the opportunity cost of either using the trains for intelligence or not, or dedicating a gear slot to boosting intelligence or something else more needed.

Now, I get as a mage you'll definitely want to because mana gains are directly related to intelligence and every little bit extra helps.

The rest that intelligence does is the purpose of my question.

It's very subjective, I know, but I personally don't feel much difference between the learning rates of an 18 int character and a 20 or 21 int character.

As for the saves, I get there are good bonuses for 22+ intelligence characters. But, for all I know, the difference between 18 and 21 intelligence might only be a 2% difference for svs or svm.

If that were the case, I'd probably be better off using those 3 extra trains for hps or using that gear slot to actually boost my saves, or something I find more important.

Thaedan (Anonymous)Wed 28-Feb-18 07:15 PM
Charter member
#69983, "RE: Actually, there might be very good reason"
In response to Reply #7

You get +1 intelligence at middle-age. So it might be worth practicing it only to (max-1) if you think you'll live that long. It's not hard to come up with +1 intelligence from gear, especially if you're a mage given mage gear is more likely to have +int.

The case for only practicing to (max-1) is stronger for strength and wisdom, since you get +1 in each of those when you transition from young to "Mature".

TJHuronWed 28-Feb-18 08:27 PM
1132 posts
#69984, "I actually didn’t know about the middle age int ..."
In response to Reply #8

But... if I’m playing a melee class sometimes finding a piece of +int gear can be a challenge if I also want to max out strength, dex, damroll. Not always but mostly as gear with +int tends not to be as useful for the melee classes.

Even those eyeglasses that our Russian friend is talking about can be a waste of a slot for melee classes. I’d rather rock one of those +str masks.

McbethMon 26-Feb-18 04:22 PM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69967, "Anecdotally it is worth it for skill learning"
In response to Reply #0

I notice a big difference between 17 and 21 when it comes to spamming up spells and a slight difference when it comes to learning passive abilities such as parry/dodge/weapons. NFC whether that's all in my head or actually in the code.

SeriphaxMon 26-Feb-18 04:52 PM
Member since 26th Feb 2017
145 posts
#69970, "RE: Anecdotally it is worth it for skill learning"
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Mon 26-Feb-18 04:52 PM

Anecdotally, I agree with the above. I noticed skill gains much faster on my halfie assassin with 21 int than I ever did with my storm giant characters, who rock only a 17. It’s also important for enemy skills and spells that use contested intelligence, as far as I can tell, such as fighting an stsf warrior, but don’t take that as absolute, because I’m not 100% certain that that is correct.

KstatidaMon 26-Feb-18 02:49 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69955, "Why don't you just wear those cool glasses?"
In response to Reply #0

"Worth the effort" is totally arbitrary.

TJHuronMon 26-Feb-18 08:33 AM
1132 posts
#69956, "Of course you’d focus on that part of the questi..."
In response to Reply #1

Why even bother to wear those glasses if the benefit is negligible? Which is what I was asking.

KstatidaTue 27-Feb-18 02:02 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#69978, "I addressed both parts of your question"
In response to Reply #2

Saying that "worth the effort" is arbitrary. You should define it if you want to have a clear answer. For a skillspam freak like me, every inch of int matters. Matrik - he doesn't even know how to know what int he has.

So once again, "worth the effort" is arbitrary.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #69953 Previous topic | Next topic