Subject: "So I have this idea..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68379
Show all folders

TMNSThu 01-Jun-17 03:29 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68379, "So I have this idea..."
Edited on Thu 01-Jun-17 03:31 AM

Disclaimer: I will be throwing some words in faces. Sometimes completely accidentally on purpose.

So, I have a character. It's a #### character at the moment, but I have this idea. This idea would involve me playing a decent amount, RPing my butt off, and trying to involve other characters within the game in a long-reaching movement.

This idea is similar to many ideas that IMMs have proposed to followers/players/anyone in the past, when asking for submissions for certain in-game accoutrements.

My idea is to change a single room in the game to a submission that I myself would create. As in I would rename/add mobs to the room, I would create 1-2 unique progs for said mobs (at least the idea for the prog...and by prog I mean for quests or #### like that not PROGSLAYALLRUSSIANIPONENTRANCE or stupid stuff), I would create a room description, etc etc.

It would be up to the IMM staff to take my work and implement it. I wouldn't ask for any IMM powers, nor really any IMM involvement other than the final act.

Is this something that would be possible?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

IshuliSat 03-Jun-17 02:03 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2017
2256 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68397, "RE: So I have this idea..."
In response to Reply #0

There are a few tricks to this that make the request less than 'simple'.

To start, changing a room means you're editing someone else's work. In general, assume that can't be done without their permission. So if you're picking a given area, you should try to talk to the author.

Then, it's totally possible that your idea sucks. I'm not assuming it will, but there is a quality requirement in general for things to work out. Even if I personally accepted the room addition, I'd go through a back-and-forth process to make it 'fit'.

Progs make it even trickier. That requires more work on the part of other people. So now you're effectively having to go through multiple imms (author, reviewer, coder). If the prog is a quest, that's even more of a demand.

So in terms of possibility - I'm more than glad in general to take player-submission related things IC, but that's limited to areas I have control over. If you're looking for something like what you mentioned, the tavern on eastern, I think you'd need to email up the chain with your idea and what you'd like to have done.

Ideally, the less people needed to help you with your stuff the better, so I'd aim for more 'simple'. But, if you're intent, I'll toss up a discussion with the other imm-folk and let you know what comes of it.

lasentiaThu 01-Jun-17 02:33 PM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#68387, "I would guess this is extremely rare"
In response to Reply #0

From what I have seen though, it has been done before. I think it was Quird who worked with an Imm (through RP) and got three rooms added that still exist today.

I think player submissions in rooms have been done in smaller scales though. Scar's statues in Hamsah, I think Dest did some stuff in the lands, Lyceum works and player contributions in Imm shrines.

But full on room changes by a player seems pretty far rare. Maybe this is because you're altering another area authors work which might require the original author's permission, I have no idea how authorship works in CF, but it seems very often the Imms let stand author's work as written, unless they do a complete overhaul.

I couldn't get Dwunot a room in Silverwood or the goblin village for all my effort. I always wished PCs could become NPCs in areas, but that's something I've never seen done.

KoeKhaosThu 01-Jun-17 02:39 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
#68388, "Go to Ishuli's Shrine. A couple of players were turned ..."
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Thu 01-Jun-17 02:42 PM

I believe there are plenty more in game too like a bunch of guildmasters are previous characters. I also feel like I recall that crazy guy in that pine forest being based on an entropy player back in the day.

TMNSThu 01-Jun-17 04:29 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#68389, "Don't want to give too much away (due to my char being ..."
In response to Reply #2

But the plan would be to change the Tavern of the Five Chickens (isn't that what's called) on Eastern to something else.

Pretty sure no IMMs would feel I stepped on their toes. How often do people even check out the mobs/descs in that room unless the Empire is summoning them there?

KoeKhaosThu 01-Jun-17 02:32 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
#68386, "Gaspare did this with his library."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 01-Jun-17 02:41 PM

Ishuli also accepts interesting ideas for her shrine and several rooms and objects there were designed by players. Nothing is outside the realm of possibility if you are willing to put in the work IC and HAVE PATIENCE. And by patience I mean expect up to a couple weeks time to even get a real response to your inquiry and possibly a month or more once approved to even see your idea implemented. Remember, these are real people with real lives behind the scenes so catching the ones that can do any high level things can be difficult and the lower level imms can't do so much so have to rely on the higher imms to do it for them. An example is giving out rewards beyond a little bit of immexp or charm of knowledge can't be done by lower level imms. And of course, this is all assuming you catch an imm who is interested and approves of your idea and has the time to work with you to see it implemented. This is mainly having an interesting character that is fun to interact with IC I'd say.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #68379 Previous topic | Next topic