Subject: "Chaotic Conjurer - Why don't people play them?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #67588
Show all folders

TJHuronTue 28-Mar-17 06:07 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#67588, "Chaotic Conjurer - Why don't people play them?"

Is it just because of the lack of auto-spells from the archon/devil?

Is so, specifically which are hard to deal without?

You have wands for dam redux.

Is it the healing?

Is it the bash protection?

Is it the flight?

I've only toyed around with the class to level 40 or so but I could see someone make due for all of that in some other way except for the bash protection. Would it make sense to make protective shield a class spell instead?

Especially now that there is a new chaotic mage cabal I wonder what people's thoughts are on this.

I know conjurers are not very popular at the moment as they seem to have taken a heavy nerf making them a challenge to play. But the chaotic versions were never popular at all. Just look at the PK standings. Orderly... Orderly... Orderly...

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply My thoughts echo much of what has been posted., Athioles, 02-Apr-17 06:00 AM, #29
Reply No cabal option, Kstatida, 29-Mar-17 10:41 AM, #13
Reply Entropy now, but I'd bring masters back. NT, wln, 29-Mar-17 02:25 PM, #15
Reply Entropy doesn't allow conjurers, Kstatida, 29-Mar-17 02:43 PM, #16
     Reply I had forgotten about that when I started the thread, TJHuron, 29-Mar-17 02:59 PM, #17
     Reply And tribs don't allow druids. And outlanders don't allo..., wln, 29-Mar-17 03:09 PM, #18
          Reply Sure, but just as restrictive as Outlander Conjurer. , Lhydia, 29-Mar-17 07:15 PM, #19
Reply RE: No cabal option, Isildur, 30-Mar-17 07:19 AM, #21
Reply Wait, Kstatida, 30-Mar-17 12:38 PM, #22
     Reply RE: Wait, Isildur, 30-Mar-17 03:43 PM, #24
Reply RE: Scarab, Scarabaeus, 30-Mar-17 03:42 PM, #23
     Reply RE: Scarab, Isildur, 30-Mar-17 04:34 PM, #25
          Reply That was Jhyrbian, btw. NT, TMNS, 30-Mar-17 05:56 PM, #26
               Reply RE: That was Jhyrbian, btw. NT, Isildur, 30-Mar-17 06:41 PM, #27
                    Reply jhyrb-ster nt, Dallevian, 30-Mar-17 10:17 PM, #28
Reply Our player base skews risk averse, laxman, 28-Mar-17 09:49 PM, #8
Reply Was no bash protection a problem ever? , TJHuron, 28-Mar-17 09:55 PM, #9
     Reply Not really, laxman, 28-Mar-17 10:04 PM, #10
     Reply Having played a successful midlevel basher, Kstatida, 29-Mar-17 12:32 PM, #14
Reply Got nerfed too hard, Sertius, 28-Mar-17 08:35 PM, #5
Reply As I asked below. That nerf just applied to devils, rig..., TJHuron, 28-Mar-17 08:52 PM, #6
Reply Depends on which nerf, I'll list some I can remember., KoeKhaos, 29-Mar-17 04:45 AM, #11
Reply The worst nerf..., Lhydia, 29-Mar-17 06:24 AM, #12
     Reply That change should be reverted, Bemused, 29-Mar-17 07:29 PM, #20
Reply I agree with this, Marcus_, 04-Apr-17 07:31 PM, #30
     Reply RE: I Feel the opposite about edges, laxman, 05-Apr-17 12:30 AM, #31
          Reply So tell us, Kstatida, 05-Apr-17 07:42 AM, #32
               Reply My last conjurer was chaotic, laxman, 05-Apr-17 09:32 AM, #33
                    Reply Which was pre edge nerf, I'm sure :), Kstatida, 05-Apr-17 11:58 AM, #34
Reply Most vets won't play conjurers anymore period. n/t, Lhydia, 28-Mar-17 06:36 PM, #1
     Reply Yeah, well didn't what was changed only impact Devils? ..., TJHuron, 28-Mar-17 07:11 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Yeah, well didn't what was changed only impact Devi..., Jhyrbian, 28-Mar-17 07:22 PM, #3
               Reply Why weren't they ever popular?, TJHuron, 28-Mar-17 08:13 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: Why weren't they ever popular?, Jhyrbian, 28-Mar-17 09:40 PM, #7

AthiolesSun 02-Apr-17 06:00 AM
Member since 09th Jan 2011
392 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#67628, "My thoughts echo much of what has been posted."
In response to Reply #0

1) Mobs targetting archons is a big deal.
2) Lack of essential edges are a bigger deal.

Conjurers are like druids in that you'll see less and less of them until people give up entirely. It's just not the same experience with the edge changes.

KstatidaWed 29-Mar-17 10:41 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#67603, "No cabal option"
In response to Reply #0

Scarab not being a cabal.

wlnWed 29-Mar-17 02:25 PM
Member since 11th Jun 2016
134 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#67610, "Entropy now, but I'd bring masters back. NT"
In response to Reply #13

KstatidaWed 29-Mar-17 02:43 PM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#67611, "Entropy doesn't allow conjurers"
In response to Reply #15

Which is why I don't play it.

TJHuronWed 29-Mar-17 02:59 PM
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#67612, "I had forgotten about that when I started the thread"
In response to Reply #16

Was a reason ever given?

I don't recall. But there has to be SOME reason to start a Mage cabal and exclude one class of mages. Especially one that isn't a very popular build to begin with. It would make more sense to me to allow them in with the hopes more people play it. Especially when so many have such a bad taste about conjies. Most of the reasons given in this thread seem to stem from problems with the orderly servitors. Giving people a reason to play chaotic conjie might help balance out that poor perception. The class just feels trashed right now.

wlnWed 29-Mar-17 03:09 PM
Member since 11th Jun 2016
134 posts
#67613, "And tribs don't allow druids. And outlanders don't allo..."
In response to Reply #16

If you want to play some weird character, like chaotic conjurer, I think it's not a big deal to get into Entropy, if you RP it right.

LhydiaWed 29-Mar-17 07:15 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
#67616, "Sure, but just as restrictive as Outlander Conjurer. "
In response to Reply #18

The roleplay of just dismissing creatures not natural to this world or creature bound to slavery of a master would be an excellent RP opportunity.

But you know...good luck with that ####.

IsildurThu 30-Mar-17 07:19 AM
5969 posts
#67618, "RE: No cabal option"
In response to Reply #13

Fortress?

KstatidaThu 30-Mar-17 12:38 PM
2214 posts
#67621, "Wait"
In response to Reply #21

Chaotic conjurers can be good?

IsildurThu 30-Mar-17 03:43 PM
5969 posts
#67623, "RE: Wait"
In response to Reply #22

http://www.qhcf.net/phorum/read.php?3,864903,864903#msg-864903

That was me getting jumped by Twist and (surprisingly) doing the right thing.

ScarabaeusThu 30-Mar-17 03:42 PM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
#67622, "RE: Scarab"
In response to Reply #13

Pish.

IsildurThu 30-Mar-17 04:34 PM
5969 posts
#67624, "RE: Scarab"
In response to Reply #23

Maybe if you let people gaunt into the Dale Cemetary again, Arolin would come back and roll a Scarab conjie.

(Please don't.)

TMNSThu 30-Mar-17 05:56 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#67625, "That was Jhyrbian, btw. NT"
In response to Reply #25

Just saying.

IsildurThu 30-Mar-17 06:41 PM
5969 posts
#67626, "RE: That was Jhyrbian, btw. NT"
In response to Reply #26

Was Rituraaj, or was there another one before him? I thought sure Arolin had one that abused the Cemetery and got it changed. But I've never been in the know w.r.t. who's playing whom, so I'm probably just misremembering.

DallevianThu 30-Mar-17 10:17 PM
1639 posts
#67627, "jhyrb-ster nt"
In response to Reply #27

nt

laxmanTue 28-Mar-17 09:49 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#67597, "Our player base skews risk averse"
In response to Reply #0

As a result you see few neutral/evil conjurers because the risk of servitor suicide is there (even though not that bad).

Lots of people prefer archon and devil to demon and angel because of the defensive aspects.

Having played chaotic evil and good though I have seen the difference. While you really have the same ceiling regardless of ethos super happy angels rescue a metric ####ton, I had no problem charging groups with not great protections because once you hit gushing the rescue is almost automatic with a happy angel. The gain with demons is not as pronounced, they certainly do stuff much more often but you still won't get a lot of lag from them. The exception is a high level happy challegha, they turn into direct damage monsters easily for a chaotic evil conjurer(my favorite to use against any build with solid defenses in a one on one).

TJHuronTue 28-Mar-17 09:55 PM
1132 posts
#67598, "Was no bash protection a problem ever? "
In response to Reply #8

That seems like a real big draw back the chaotic conjie.

laxmanTue 28-Mar-17 10:04 PM
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#67599, "Not really"
In response to Reply #9

If you are hoping to out damage a pair of servitors and have reliable bash then you are a very rare person or in a gank. Devil doesn't have better for evils against numbers but angel is just as good as archon from all the rescuing.

At hero you also have Clair spells, tesserect, a familiar, and gaunts so you have a lot on your side to help pick and choose engagements. Get ambushed? Teleport, move your familiar around and tess to it or another mob somewhere you would rather be and then stalk and strike back,

KstatidaWed 29-Mar-17 12:32 PM
2214 posts
#67608, "Having played a successful midlevel basher"
In response to Reply #9

My most humiliating defeats came from attempting to bash a conjurer.

Feb 18, 2016|Lv 18|Northern Foothills|vs 1: <26> Zulus (100%, pillar of lightning)
Feb 23, 2016|Lv 18|The Past Grove|vs 1: <32> Telentar (100%, pillar of lightning)
Mar 20, 2016|Lv 23|The Tower of Sorcery|vs 1: <34> Niandre (100%, magic missile)

SertiusTue 28-Mar-17 08:35 PM
Member since 17th Nov 2008
360 posts
#67594, "Got nerfed too hard"
In response to Reply #0

They're basically unplayable now with servitor nerfs and edgepoint nerfs. Specifically:

1) Your friends just kill you when you flee/word out of combat

2) You can't afford to take murderous rep and like five other edges absolutely essential for a conjie

3) Your friends randomly kill you even if they were happy just before

4) Your friends will break out of circles more without you being able to control or dismiss them and after that you die

This leads to a pretty frustrating experience overall unless you enjoy being killed by your pets more than anything else because that's the majority of your action.

TJHuronTue 28-Mar-17 08:52 PM
1132 posts
#67595, "As I asked below. That nerf just applied to devils, rig..."
In response to Reply #5

Demons (or angels and archons) have all remained the same as they always have?

KoeKhaosWed 29-Mar-17 04:31 AM
400 posts
#67600, "Depends on which nerf, I'll list some I can remember."
In response to Reply #6
Edited on Wed 29-Mar-17 04:45 AM

They've had a lot of nerfs since inception that have affected use of all servitors at one or another. I've been playing mostly conjurers since the start, mostly neutral, but I don't really like how hard, self-injuring, they are to play now especially with so few edges. I haven't really done an evil one, so can't talk about them but neutral are definitely quite painful now.

If you want some specifics, these are from a neutral conjurer perspective:
1. First major nerf, though it can be seen as more of an exploit fix, is removing the ability to nofol pets on servitors to get rid of them early. Not a big deal as this makes sense, but did make them more difficult.
2. Next elementals underwater get angrier MUCH quicker than originally. I used to be summon earth elementals with a strong binding and make good use of them underwater just fine. Now they turn within a few hours making underwater very difficult to do anything in anymore since water elementals can't harm anything in the water.
3. Happiness of all archons/angels is much harder now. They get angry a lot quicker. Used to be as long as I got a strong binding on them I could even fight a few goodies and they would be fine as long as it was too many and killed some evils in between. Now they turn very quickly like this.
4. Angels were impossible on my last neutral conjurer. Even if they came happy, strong binding on no mana conjure, and constantly fighting strong evils, the angel would attack me long before timer, like 24 hours. It used to be that a strong binding and fighting evils they would never turn until maybe the last hour of timer.
5. Power of the veil. This implementation hurts as there are no nexus now, and ragers constantly keep the veil kinda ####ty making the veil affect your conjurations. Even when nexus was about it seemed to have affected it badly. This is just pure speculation though since I am not sure exactly what happened, but was a general feeling with my conjurers after veil was implemented.
6. Edges much harder to get for the important edges to help with conjuring/binding/circles/banishing. I have a feeling that a lot of nerfs came after edges were implemented to make the edges not be too OP. In otherwords, the edges became the ability to make a conjurer closer to like pre-edges. Again, just speculation, but it's how I felt as every couple of years my conjurers had more and more difficulties until now I just won't play them.
7. Mobs dirt/bash/etc your servitors. This is the latest and biggest nerf that affects everyone pretty much and had the biggest overall imapact I think on all types of conjurers. Archons and Devils in combat don't aid you or do their cool attacks making this much, MUCH more difficult to deal with. Now even a goodie conjurer fighting in a difficult place will have trouble.

I'm hoping that sometime in the future neutral, and possibly evil since I don't see many of them anymore either, get some loving to make them reasonable again. I actually see few goodies conjurers anymore either even though they are somewhat decent still in many cases.

LhydiaWed 29-Mar-17 06:24 AM
2390 posts
#67601, "The worst nerf..."
In response to Reply #6

..that basically makes the class unplayable for me is mob AI that automatically targets archons.

The class went from being excellent for exploration/gear gathering to 'you can do it but you're gonna die at least once each trip' mode.

The other stuff that makes everything turn on you quicker is stupid as well, and the 'pick your favorite edge or two only' option makes the class stupid too, conjurers had some of the best edge options that made the class go from suck to not suck.

BemusedWed 29-Mar-17 07:29 PM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
665 posts
#67617, "That change should be reverted"
In response to Reply #12

I think it's been in play for long enough for everyone to understand that it wasn't in CFs best interests.

Marcus_Tue 04-Apr-17 07:31 PM
681 posts
#67629, "I agree with this"
In response to Reply #5

Conjurers were probably hit the hardest of all classes by the edge point nerfs as they have so many good (almost mandatory) edges that you can no longer afford.

Also re: Chaotic conjurers, they are brutal early on but fall off at hero. So these days when most of the action seems to be at hero ranks it makes sense they are less popular.

laxmanWed 05-Apr-17 12:30 AM
1867 posts
#67630, "RE: I Feel the opposite about edges"
In response to Reply #30

Most of the edges really boil down to just extra mana pumped into spells. The Clair edges reduce risk of nasties though I have done plenty without them. The loss of familiar edges really only affects the middle tier combat fams (top tier are fine and bottom are terrible even with them in combat).

Murderous rep is still really clutch and banisher and the circle one but getting them is still reasonable.

Low numbers give you plenty of space for conjuring time and slow is silly easy to get. The conjuring edges scarcity will create more of a time sink but your actual in PK chops aren't affected by the EP changes.

Now the mob targeting thing does make Devils trickier but again that is more of a PvE issue.

KstatidaWed 05-Apr-17 07:42 AM
2214 posts
#67631, "So tell us"
In response to Reply #31

Why don't you play chaotic conjurers?

laxmanWed 05-Apr-17 09:32 AM
1867 posts
#67632, "My last conjurer was chaotic"
In response to Reply #32

I don't play at all right now. Yay job hunting.

KstatidaWed 05-Apr-17 11:58 AM
2214 posts
#67633, "Which was pre edge nerf, I'm sure :)"
In response to Reply #33

NT

LhydiaTue 28-Mar-17 06:36 PM
2390 posts
#67589, "Most vets won't play conjurers anymore period. n/t"
In response to Reply #0

gr

TJHuronTue 28-Mar-17 07:11 PM
1132 posts
#67590, "Yeah, well didn't what was changed only impact Devils? ..."
In response to Reply #1

nt

JhyrbianTue 28-Mar-17 07:22 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#67592, "RE: Yeah, well didn't what was changed only impact Devi..."
In response to Reply #2

Chaotic conjurers were NEVER popular.

TJHuronTue 28-Mar-17 08:13 PM
1132 posts
#67593, "Why weren't they ever popular?"
In response to Reply #3

And are there any simple changes that could fix that?

JhyrbianTue 28-Mar-17 09:40 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#67596, "RE: Why weren't they ever popular?"
In response to Reply #4

They don't get as much mileage from archons/devils which are way more powerful and useful than angels/demons in about 90% of circumstances.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #67588 Previous topic | Next topic