Subject: "Please consider changing bloodoath..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #66667
Show all folders

SarienMon 23-Jan-17 09:46 AM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66667, "Please consider changing bloodoath..."

So that it no longer "transforms" your ethos. I can't think of any other cabal where you can do that. For example, you can't roll orderly and then just "join" outlander without some heavy IMM involvement/RP

Alternatively, leave it so that it does change your ethos - but hits you with the betrayer penalty for betraying your beliefs. (just the vulns, not the skill/sup loss).

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Please consider changing bloodoath..., Jormyr, 23-Jan-17 04:22 PM, #9
Reply Why would we be glad?, Lhydia, 23-Jan-17 05:14 PM, #10
     Reply News!, Destuvius, 23-Jan-17 05:47 PM, #11
     Reply Yay n/t, Lhydia, 23-Jan-17 05:51 PM, #12
     Reply Hooray!, Kstatida, 24-Jan-17 01:35 PM, #14
     Reply Think of the newbs!, Jormyr, 23-Jan-17 06:43 PM, #13
Reply Why?, Murphy, 23-Jan-17 10:11 AM, #2
Reply because as with every other possible way to change your..., Sarien, 23-Jan-17 10:18 AM, #3
     Reply Being in Empire is a downside enough, Kstatida, 23-Jan-17 10:25 AM, #4
     Reply You still didn't answer the "Why?" question., Java, 23-Jan-17 01:31 PM, #5
          Reply It is my opinion:, Sarien, 23-Jan-17 02:07 PM, #6
               Reply I think it's a great mechanical way to reinforce the Bo..., Mcbeth, 23-Jan-17 02:27 PM, #7
               Reply I think you miss what bloodoath actually is., Java, 23-Jan-17 03:38 PM, #8
Reply As designed, Kstatida, 23-Jan-17 09:52 AM, #1

JormyrMon 23-Jan-17 04:22 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66678, "RE: Please consider changing bloodoath..."
In response to Reply #0

Bloodoath ethos change functions exactly the same as any other ethos
change. 90-99% of people rarely, if ever have an ethos change - much
less hear about it. Ethos is considered a bit less "significant"
than alignment.

Hell, just be glad you can't straight up switch alignment with the
Bloodoath anymore, which hit you with the same penalties as any
alignment change...which hurt. Priests still run into a pretty significant hitch changing ethos.

LhydiaMon 23-Jan-17 05:13 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
#66679, "Why would we be glad?"
In response to Reply #9
Edited on Mon 23-Jan-17 05:14 PM

That change changed the entire dynamic of Imperial RP to the point that Imperial Law, the Imperial Sect Entrance Questions, and Sect Laws are invalid.

Why offer the bloodoath to anyone if they can't actually take the bloodoath? I've had at least 6 people want to take the oath since the change who knowingly understood the mechanical consequences and wanted to take it anyway.

All things Imperial that needed to be updated along with that change have not been.

Destuvius can't even give the oath or change alignments of people seeking it. That wasn't very fun to RP in character, the part where Empire God can't actually do anything to make someone who is evil lawful an Imperial....what?

....not directed at Jormyr, just the situation in general that makes no sense if you're actually RPing an Imperial.

DestuviusMon 23-Jan-17 05:47 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#66680, "News!"
In response to Reply #10

I can totally change peoples alignment now, long live RP and neutrals wanting to join Empire!

LhydiaMon 23-Jan-17 05:51 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
#66681, "Yay n/t"
In response to Reply #11

gr

KstatidaTue 24-Jan-17 01:35 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66690, "Hooray!"
In response to Reply #11

You're 2 years late though.

JormyrMon 23-Jan-17 06:43 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#66682, "Think of the newbs!"
In response to Reply #10

Obviously this is before my Imm-tenure, but I've played long enough
to see both sides of that change. Honestly, I feel like 95% of any
alignment change Bloodoath was random newb that just ended up getting
totally hosed.

And news? Dest has totally been able to change alignments. You're
talking old news! Hell, he's my go-to-guy for changing alignments
when Jormyr corrupts people. *insert evil giant laugh*

MurphyMon 23-Jan-17 10:11 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66670, "Why?"
In response to Reply #0

Empire is designed around the idea of assimilation. It fits with the IC meaning of the bloodoath -- a power that actually sort of lobotomizes you and changes your way of thinking.

SarienMon 23-Jan-17 10:18 AM
740 posts
#66671, "because as with every other possible way to change your..."
In response to Reply #2

There should be SOME downside. It shouldn't be a "free pass".

KstatidaMon 23-Jan-17 10:25 AM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66672, "Being in Empire is a downside enough"
In response to Reply #3

Because then you eat Anathema and oh ####.

JavaMon 23-Jan-17 01:31 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#66674, "You still didn't answer the "Why?" question."
In response to Reply #3

It makes sense in CF as-is, given that Empire's goal is to assimilate everyone (potentially even those who aren't entirely willing). Outlanders don't have that recruitment goal.

I get that it isn't necessarily in tune with other means of ethos change, but so what? And couldn't you just as easily argue that those other means should change instead?

Why does bloodoath specifically need to change?

SarienMon 23-Jan-17 02:06 PM
740 posts
#66675, "It is my opinion:"
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Mon 23-Jan-17 02:07 PM

That from an RP standpoint, on a mud where RP comes first. That some chaotic heathen isn't just going to "submit" to imperial rule.

It makes little sense that someone who has spent their entire life with a "chaotic" ethos breaking imperial law takes the bloodoath and "transforms" into a orderly subject.

Sure, if they decided to RP someone who discarded imperial law, leaning towards the chaotic tendencies that they always have had within them - but that isn't what you get -because that's what gets you anath'd. You get bloodoath/promotion/call blade of the codex. All stemming from a character who just suddenly, somehow turned their life around by uttering a phrase.

There is a reason that ethos/alignment changes outside of this one small "oversight" are painful, and time consuming.

McbethMon 23-Jan-17 02:27 PM
Member since 21st Jul 2015
257 posts
#66676, "I think it's a great mechanical way to reinforce the Bo..."
In response to Reply #6

Like others said, the IC explanation is that taking the Bloodoath invokes the power of the Codex to assimilate the person taking it. I think it's super cool that the Emperor's minions can go out and rough someone up to the point where, in a moment of weakness, they say "My life, my whatever blah blah for the Empire" - and then as a result are bound to the Empire forever even if they would have never made that choice if they hadn't had a bad day.

"All stemming from a character who just suddenly, somehow turned their life around by uttering a phrase." Exactly! The Empire would be waaaaay less interesting of a bully cabal/enemy of literally everyone else who isn't in the Empire if this wasn't a possibility.

JavaMon 23-Jan-17 03:38 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2003
1055 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#66677, "I think you miss what bloodoath actually is."
In response to Reply #6

It isn't just saying some words so you get to wear an Imperial badge. It's a cult-like ritual that changes who the person is.

Think of it as brainwashing. Imperials should be forcing people to say take the bloodoath ("Take it or the pain continues.. yadda yadda"). And when your character takes the bloodoath, even if he doesn't actually believe it and he has ulterior motives, the ritual itself changes them. They become brainwashed to the way the Empire works. It does change them at their core, in some arcane sort of way.

KstatidaMon 23-Jan-17 09:52 AM
2214 posts
#66668, "As designed"
In response to Reply #0

We love Empire as it is. Thank you.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #66667 Previous topic | Next topic