Subject: "shapeshifter idea: "assume form"" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #66170
Show all folders

IsildurSat 07-Jan-17 01:10 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66170, "shapeshifter idea: "assume form""

Syntax: assume {target}

With great concentration, the shape shifter is able to assume the form of an arbitrary animal. To the untrained eye, he or she will be indistinguishable from any other such creature.

Mechanics:

1. Mob must consider below "perfect match".

2. Only works on mobs flagged as "animals".

3. Can't be used whenever the mage would be prevented from quitting due to recent PK engagement.

4. When the mage has assumed a mob's form he remains in the "who" list but doesn't show up on "where" unless the person using the "where" command is a shapeshifter or ranger or has "detect magic" or "piercing gaze" up.

5. Reverting from or shifting out of an assumed form has some additional lag, roughly equivalent to coming out of duo-dimension.

6. Being attacked while in an assumed form causes the mage to immediately revert and incur the additional lag.

This would mainly be a stealth skill shifters would use to sneak up on people.

If deemed too powerful there could be some movement lag added while in an assumed form.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Shifters are fine., Murphy, 10-Jan-17 10:41 PM, #11
Reply How about just let them have multiple partial shifts up..., TMNS, 10-Jan-17 12:57 PM, #8
Reply Well, as I am around I can pitch a shifter idea I had i..., Abernyte, 10-Jan-17 12:31 PM, #7
Reply RE: Well, as I am around I can pitch a shifter idea I h..., AncientNewbie, 10-Jan-17 02:28 PM, #9
Reply RE: Well, as I am around I can pitch a shifter idea I h..., Isildur, 10-Jan-17 08:22 PM, #10
     Reply Yeah, that would work and wouldn't be too much like eas..., Abernyte, 15-Jan-17 11:52 AM, #12
Reply RE: shapeshifter idea: , Drehir, 07-Jan-17 10:29 PM, #4
Reply RE: shapeshifter idea: , incognito, 07-Jan-17 03:18 AM, #1
     Reply RE: shapeshifter idea: , Isildur, 07-Jan-17 11:04 AM, #2
          Reply It's a neat idea..., Onewingedangel, 07-Jan-17 04:48 PM, #3
          Reply RE: shapeshifter idea: , incognito, 08-Jan-17 03:12 AM, #5
               Reply RE: shapeshifter idea: , Isildur, 08-Jan-17 04:13 AM, #6

MurphyTue 10-Jan-17 10:12 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66186, "Shifters are fine."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 10-Jan-17 10:41 PM

Just make -age gear work in form and they'll be ideal.
And also please remove the immxp requirement to emote in form. It's ridiculous to have such a high entry barrier to merely being able to enhance your roleplay while in form.

Stock form socials SUCK.

TMNSTue 10-Jan-17 12:57 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66182, "How about just let them have multiple partial shifts up..."
In response to Reply #0

Pretty, pretty please?

As far as I know, only like two players have ever heroed a shifter with no forms.

That being said, I'd love if there was a super expensive edge that would allow you to pick your form at the expense of losing your final minor focus form.

As in, say I go Offense Major. I get Dire Wolf but really had my heart set on Silverback because trip is for lames. So, I take the edge and get Silverback instead of Dire Wolf, but then I will not recieve a final minor form.

AbernyteTue 10-Jan-17 12:31 PM
975 posts
#66181, "Well, as I am around I can pitch a shifter idea I had i..."
In response to Reply #0

I would rather see shifter be able to force learn a new form. Risks come with a sliding scale depending on the form you are trying to force to learn. If you have already force learned one form then the penalty for a subsequent form increases too.

It could be locked out to only above 44th level and you can force shift into any form that you do not have (that is non-special).

If it fails it costs you one con.
You only need to succeed once to unlock the form but if you succeed but die in that form it costs you 1 con until you are confident then it will cost you 2/3 con per death in that form. Learning rates of that form are reduced compared to normal.

When trying to force learn a new shape your chances of failure is quite high and it increases if you are under 150 hours or if you are learning a form outwith your two foci. Imms could reduce the % chance of failure as a reward instead of a special form that often imbalances things quickly.

AncientNewbieTue 10-Jan-17 02:28 PM
Member since 26th Oct 2010
29 posts
#66183, "RE: Well, as I am around I can pitch a shifter idea I h..."
In response to Reply #7

Hellllloooo Pachy/Diamondback/Porc/Cheetah/Wildcat!

I'd sacrifice 10 trains on a gnome to try and secure all those

Very much like the idea, but agree it would need to have some pretty steep risks or limitations involved though.

IsildurTue 10-Jan-17 08:22 PM
5969 posts
#66184, "RE: Well, as I am around I can pitch a shifter idea I h..."
In response to Reply #7

Could just give every shifter 2 "free" (i.e. no edge point cost) uses of "roll the bones" and "spin the wheel". Keeps some amount of randomness, but reduces the likelihood of you getting stuck w/ something you didn't want.

If the forms are balanced then there should be no strong preference for one over the other.

Giving *every* shifter two free uses of each would also generate a lot more data that the staff could use to gauge which forms the players seem to "dislike".

After a couple months you could mini-nerf the forms that people are disproportionately *unlikely* to roll/spin and mini-boost those that people are disproportionately *likely* to roll/spin.

AbernyteSun 15-Jan-17 11:52 AM
975 posts
#66379, "Yeah, that would work and wouldn't be too much like eas..."
In response to Reply #10

/'

DrehirSat 07-Jan-17 10:29 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66175, "RE: shapeshifter idea: "
In response to Reply #0

That is really powerful.

To balance that out you would need a major drawback. Like that you do show up on where and your hp is set to 10.

Or that you can only revert, not shapeshift out of the form and get lag like coming out of duo dimension, and you have very little hp while in that form.

I think the bigger point is that shapeshifters do not really need this... A lot of utility forms have a "blend" like ability, which essentially does this. Having something like this would more or less undermine the usefulness of those forms.

incognitoSat 07-Jan-17 03:18 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66172, "RE: shapeshifter idea: "
In response to Reply #0

That's pretty powerful.

It means the shifter can approach to within a room then give the target almost no time to spot them on where. With the shifter giving nothing up in return for this boost.

When I proposed a similar but weaker racial trait I nerfed their stats significantly in return.

I mean, stealth silverback? It would be carnage!

IsildurSat 07-Jan-17 11:04 AM
5969 posts
#66173, "RE: shapeshifter idea: "
In response to Reply #1

Well, a decent number of people could see him on "where". Any mage, since they all get detect magic. Non-mages could keep detect magic on tap via preps if they know there's an enemy shifter online, but I agree that's irritating.

Could also make it more dangerous for the shifter. Maybe he takes a large amount of initial damage if someone attacks him while he's in an assumed form.

Another idea would be to make it a fixed duration. That is, the shifter can't control when he comes out of the assumed form. He assumes it and then has to live in that form for N hours until it wears off, at which point he automatically reverts and suffers whatever lag we've attached to reverting-from-assumed-form.

OnewingedangelSat 07-Jan-17 04:48 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
#66174, "It's a neat idea..."
In response to Reply #2

But we all know getting the jump on someone can drastically change how ghe fight goes. Shifters alreay get forms that can hide and camo. And some even sneak. I just don't think it can be balanced right.

incognitoSun 08-Jan-17 03:12 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#66176, "RE: shapeshifter idea: "
In response to Reply #2

Ok, detect magic could balance it. I must have missed that.

However, it does mean that there's no one more prep to worry about for those who don't have it inherently.

Perhaps a drawback could be that if you are in an insignificant animal form, your hp are halved until you revert, and hp don't increase on reversion unless you are in full health.

IsildurSun 08-Jan-17 04:13 AM
5969 posts
#66177, "RE: shapeshifter idea: "
In response to Reply #5

That could work. My main goal with this wasn't necessarily to introduce a specific mechanic. It just always seemed dumb to me that shifters are limited to only specific forms. Seems like they should be able to turn into all kinds of things, albeit with all the attendant limitations and weakness.

So if you take the form of a common pigeon (as opposed to a giant magical falcon) then while in that form you're approximately as weak and vulnerable as any other common pigeon. But you're also indistinguishable from any other common pigeon to someone without the expertise needed to tell the difference.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #66170 Previous topic | Next topic