Subject: "Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #65700
Show all folders

rsmithWed 07-Dec-16 03:34 PM
Member since 31st Oct 2015
8 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65700, "Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?"

Wrath was toned down to every two rounds.

With earthrend a once a round spell that
does insane damage to everyone present and
it also lags, I think it is a bit too
powerful in the current environment. I am
not a summoner so I can't just summon a
bunch of mobs and sit by them waiting for
a shaman to try and ruin my day. What are
peoples thoughts on this commune from a
gameplay and balance perspective? Thanks
in advance.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Earthrend, Umiron, 10-Dec-16 11:35 AM, #15
Reply RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?, Destuvius, 09-Dec-16 04:07 AM, #11
Reply RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?, Tronimal, 08-Dec-16 02:55 PM, #9
Reply RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?, incognito, 08-Dec-16 02:59 AM, #5
Reply RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?, amazingdonnie, 07-Dec-16 04:58 PM, #2
Reply RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?, Ignolmeer, 07-Dec-16 04:23 PM, #1
     Reply Shaman kind of suck vs groups, earth tend gives them a ..., laxman, 07-Dec-16 07:34 PM, #3
     Reply RE: Shaman kind of suck vs groups, earth tend gives the..., incognito, 08-Dec-16 03:02 AM, #6
     Reply RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?, Wasted, 07-Dec-16 07:59 PM, #4
          Reply So dispel, then earthrend., lasentia, 08-Dec-16 07:10 AM, #7
               Reply RE: So dispel, then earthrend., incognito, 08-Dec-16 08:30 AM, #8
                    Reply RE: So dispel, then earthrend., Jhyrbian, 08-Dec-16 10:44 PM, #10
                         Reply Except that he doesn't play NT, Kstatida, 09-Dec-16 04:47 AM, #12
                              Reply RE: Except that he doesn't play NT, Jhyrbian, 09-Dec-16 07:19 PM, #13
                                   Reply The point is making fun of people, Kstatida, 10-Dec-16 10:14 AM, #14

UmironSat 10-Dec-16 11:29 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65738, "Earthrend"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sat 10-Dec-16 11:35 AM

Earthrend is pretty powerful, not only because it deals decent damage but because it can do a variety of interesting things.

But its effectiveness can be mitigated. The damage is largely based on the victim's size, so reducing can help a lot in curbing the damage. Likewise, both the damage and the special affects have a save check so you can bring down the pain quite a bit by gearing for saves which you should be doing anyway if you are fighting shaman.

So my two cents is no, it's not overpowered. Both for the reasons Destuvius pointed out and because not only can it be defended against, but it can be defended against cheaply and without sacrificing much.

EDIT: Spell check.

DestuviusFri 09-Dec-16 04:07 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65714, "RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?"
In response to Reply #0

Wrath is a standard part of the paladin class toolkit and exists whether or not they opt to go down the empowerment road.

Earthrend requires empowerment to gain, and you need to follow an immortal who offers that path.

But no, I don't think earthrend is too good. I think its a powerful sup that comes with a lot of potential bad to match its potential good.

TronimalThu 08-Dec-16 02:55 PM
Member since 03rd Apr 2016
75 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#65712, "RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?"
In response to Reply #0

Only if you take the Nage Waza edge, and get a successful ground control for perma lag.

incognitoThu 08-Dec-16 02:59 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65708, "RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?"
In response to Reply #0

I think it is fine as is.

Unless you have a shaman thief or shaman bash perma, but the solution to that isn't to get rid of earthrend. (Not saying there's a perma but in the absence of that the solution to big damage is to run away, or in this case, fly.

Also I think dex and saves -might- both help?

amazingdonnieWed 07-Dec-16 04:58 PM
Member since 19th Nov 2013
148 posts
#65702, "RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?"
In response to Reply #0

Many factors can mitigate the usefulness of earthrend and as powerful as it is, it's also extremely limiting in certain situations. I think it is fine as it is.

IgnolmeerWed 07-Dec-16 04:23 PM
Member since 16th Nov 2016
77 posts
#65701, "RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?"
In response to Reply #0

Flying reduces damage.

laxmanWed 07-Dec-16 07:34 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#65706, "Shaman kind of suck vs groups, earth tend gives them a ..."
In response to Reply #1

The damage is comparable to denonfire so in a one on one it's not much of a difference. You generally can't afford to maldicts much when facing groups but earthrend gives you a shot. It's pretty decent for ambushing ranking groups but in more coordinated battles numbers still generally overwhelm.

incognitoThu 08-Dec-16 03:02 AM
4495 posts
#65709, "RE: Shaman kind of suck vs groups, earth tend gives the..."
In response to Reply #3

I think shaman is decent vs groups.

You have good lag protection, summon, ability to heal, good defenses and dam redux.

You won't avoid having to flee but shaman excels at drawing out a fight and gradually adding to the maladictions.

WastedWed 07-Dec-16 07:59 PM
Member since 21st Jun 2015
111 posts
#65707, "RE: Is earthrend too powerful for today's CF?"
In response to Reply #1

Fly HUGELY mitigates the damage of it to the point that it would quickly become the least dangerous option in a shaman's arsenal-- we're talking lowercase damage.

lasentiaThu 08-Dec-16 07:10 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65710, "So dispel, then earthrend."
In response to Reply #4

People just need to pay attention to getting dispelled.

incognitoThu 08-Dec-16 08:30 AM
4495 posts
#65711, "RE: So dispel, then earthrend."
In response to Reply #7

I've had people try to do that. Flight isn't a prep you are likely to run short of.

In fact, I'd be quite happy if a shaman kept doing that as it means I can run down the timer on his other supps at the cost of just flight preps. If they fall the shaman can get in a lot of trouble fast.

JhyrbianThu 08-Dec-16 10:44 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65713, "RE: So dispel, then earthrend."
In response to Reply #8

you're probably one of the few people willing to drag out a fight for 2 real life hours to do this though.

KstatidaFri 09-Dec-16 04:47 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65715, "Except that he doesn't play NT"
In response to Reply #10

NT

JhyrbianFri 09-Dec-16 07:19 PM
917 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65730, "RE: Except that he doesn't play NT"
In response to Reply #12

But he did... and to do what he was suggesting he would have to, so what's your point?

KstatidaSat 10-Dec-16 10:14 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65736, "The point is making fun of people"
In response to Reply #13

Even if he's willing to spend 2 hours on that, he doesn't play, so he won't do it anyway.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #65700 Previous topic | Next topic