Subject: "Question about summon" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #65609
Show all folders

AncientNewbieSun 27-Nov-16 09:06 AM
Member since 26th Oct 2010
29 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65609, "Question about summon"

What's the difference between the 3 different summon fail messages?

You failed to summon Petrom the butcher.
You failed to summon anyone. (when trying to summon things I know have those key words)
You failed.

Do some of these mean it's possible and keep trying while others mean give it up?

Thanks

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

UmironSun 27-Nov-16 01:24 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65612, "RE: Question about summon"
In response to Reply #0

>You failed to summon Petrom the butcher.

The thing you are trying to summon can't be summoned under your current circumstances.

You would see this if you tried to summon someone into a no_summon room, if they were in a no_summon room, if either of you were underwater, etc.

>You failed to summon anyone. (when trying to summon things I
>know have those key words)

You tried to summon a thing that doesn't exist or that you cannot see.

You would see this if you tried to summon "qweopiasdflkjh" or a PC who is invisible to you.

>You failed.

Typically a save and worth retrying, but sometimes this echo is deceptive because it includes scenarios like Charnel Sanctum where you will never be able to summon the person out of a grave.

incognitoSun 27-Nov-16 11:34 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#65611, "Iirc"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 27-Nov-16 11:38 AM

One is when the target is visible to you,can be summoned from where it is to where you are, and makes a saving throw to avoid your summon attempt.

One is when the target doesn't exist or isn't visible to you. You can check which one by typing c summon fuleykajetjafhrq or some gibberish.

One is when the summon is not possible because either you, or the target, is in a room that blocks the summon. Iirc trying to summon a target with deny summoning gets the same effect.

Also when the PC isn't in the same area as you you get the "you failed" iirc. I know I intentionally move in and out of an area to get a guy to waste mana summoning before engaging them.

In conclusion, yes, normally one of the echoes means "give up" and another means keep trying if you are happy to have probably lost the elect of surprise and don't mind blowing your mana.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #65609 Previous topic | Next topic