Subject: "Coupon idea" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #64139
Show all folders

QuixoticThu 14-Jul-16 02:57 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
837 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64139, "Coupon idea"

Whenever you have a character hit 100 hours, you get issued an eCoupon which you can transfer via email.

This email invites someone to create a new character, and if they redeem the eCoupon from a new IP, it gives that new character 100% learning bonus for 20 login hours or until they initiate their first PK.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

KstatidaThu 14-Jul-16 03:41 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64148, "This is actually a good larva of an idea, because"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 14-Jul-16 03:41 PM

I, for example, am greatly embarassed to invite anyone to play CF and would never do so for a number of reasons.

But if there is an automated way to invite someone - that's a lot of psychological pressure taken off, and I can always say "What? No, I stopped playing it ten years ago. The scoundrels seem to hack my gmail account for contacts like LinkedIn. But the game is great by any means, do try it!"

QuixoticThu 14-Jul-16 03:29 PM
837 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64144, "Fleshing it out"
In response to Reply #0

Carrionfields will send the email, but the 100 hour character will be prompted to put in

- his/her name
- the target email address
- a personal message

To: Bobby_@bogus_email.com
Subject Jeff has given you an eCoupon for Carrionfields!

Jeff invites you to create a new RPG character at Carrionfields.net port 4444. If you are new to mudding or you are a seasoned player looking for for more detailed information, contact Jeff or consult the help files available at http://carrionfields.com.

To help you get started, enter the Redemption Code below to receive enhanced rates at skill learning for 20 hours or until you attack your first player character.

Redemption code: A76moP

Enjoy!

UmironThu 14-Jul-16 03:21 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
#64143, "RE: Coupon idea"
In response to Reply #0

>Whenever you have a character hit 100 hours, you get issued
>an eCoupon which you can transfer via email.
>
>This email invites someone to create a new character, and if
>they redeem the eCoupon from a new IP, it gives that new
>character 100% learning bonus for 20 login hours or until they
>initiate their first PK.

I'm sorry but this sounds like the Rube Goldberg machine of learning bonuses.

A brand new player doesn't need this (or even know they might want it). They need guidance and interactions and a fun experience so that they'll want to keep playing.

Nor do I necessarily want to reward people for reaching 100 hours, even if the "reward" goes to someone else. History has taught us that the carrot on a stick method doesn't work well in CF because the carrot quickly becomes an expectation.

And of course there's the subset of players that will inevitably abuse this for the advantage it provides, which would be pretty trivial to do.

I like ideas that revolve around helping newbies and making the game more fun for one's fellow player instead of themselves, but I'm just not picking up what you're putting down on this one.

QuixoticThu 14-Jul-16 03:32 PM
837 posts
#64147, "Gotcha."
In response to Reply #1

Yes, some people would try to abuse it, but I figured 20hrs or your first pk would limit the abuse.

My big push would be for CF to have a means of systematically inviting people.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #64139 Previous topic | Next topic