Subject: "TJ's game improvement ideas for the dwindling playerbas..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #64119
Show all folders

TJHuronThu 14-Jul-16 11:47 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64119, "TJ's game improvement ideas for the dwindling playerbase"

We all know the playerbase is shrinking as we all get older and have less time to play. Here's three ideas to throw around.

Learning/exp bonus - the staff has done well in increasing the frequency of these bonus times. I suggest we take it a step further and on days where there are no scheduled long term bonuses the staff implement 2 - 1 hour learning/exp bonus period.

The first will be both learning and exp at the peak playtime for the game. Whatever hour the users command shows has most players for the week gets it.

The second bonus will be an hour that cycles through the clock and alternates back and forth between learning and exp bonus. This hopefully will catch a lot of off time players.

The bonus schedule will be posted for the week on Sunday's.

Mob death penalty - lets get rid of it or reduce it. It's old and makes no sense. It only frustrates players, especially when you are close to tnl. We don't have the time for that crap anymore. If eliminating the penalty is a no go because there should be consequences to dying then at least reduce it to a % of the total tnl instead of going to -20% tnl every time.

PK edge points - just an idea here cuz I know some of the players hate the change and we know PK edge points are not coming back. Instead of edge points for PK milestones have the game automatically award an edge at random for the milestones. The probability of the edge selected scales with its expense and only edges available on a characters current edge list are eligible. The most expensive edges are only eligible at higher PK milestones. So you might get a bonus edge at 25, 50, 100 & 200 PKs. Maybe you get a useful edge. Maybe you don't. This offers a little edge reward for PK, is hard for players to game and puts more niche edges into play.

I hope these ideas are constructive and easily implemented.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply You know what idea I'd love to see that would never eve..., TMNS, 14-Jul-16 06:29 PM, #15
Reply RE: You know what idea I'd love to see that would never..., Umiron, 14-Jul-16 06:44 PM, #16
Reply Oh no doubt., TMNS, 14-Jul-16 10:08 PM, #19
     Reply I'm 100% sure you can do all these things as usual mort..., Shapa, 14-Jul-16 11:22 PM, #20
          Reply Due to recent events I wouldnt be surprised..., Lhydia, 15-Jul-16 08:54 AM, #21
Reply Haha., Iunna, 14-Jul-16 06:45 PM, #17
Reply That's a really neat idea, Sam, TJHuron, 14-Jul-16 06:49 PM, #18
Reply Change cabal war structure of items/inners., Dallevian, 14-Jul-16 12:21 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners., stlucian1992, 14-Jul-16 12:44 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners., Umiron, 14-Jul-16 12:57 PM, #3
          Reply RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners., stlucian1992, 14-Jul-16 01:03 PM, #4
          Reply In fact everyone should knock it off, Kstatida, 14-Jul-16 01:11 PM, #6
          Reply RE: In fact everyone should knock it off, stlucian1992, 14-Jul-16 01:13 PM, #7
               Reply Sorry I'm ESL, Kstatida, 14-Jul-16 01:27 PM, #8
               Reply RE: In fact everyone should knock it off, Umiron, 14-Jul-16 02:08 PM, #10
          Reply RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners., Jormyr, 14-Jul-16 01:45 PM, #9
               Reply RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners., stlucian1992, 14-Jul-16 02:41 PM, #11
                    Reply This is not how to prove you aren't jaded. n/t, Lhydia, 14-Jul-16 03:10 PM, #13
                         Reply RE: This is not how to prove you aren't jaded. n/t, stlucian1992, 14-Jul-16 03:27 PM, #14
          Reply no chip here but i, Dallevian, 14-Jul-16 02:50 PM, #12
     Reply I've got nothing against a cabal war overhaul, TJHuron, 14-Jul-16 01:05 PM, #5

TMNSThu 14-Jul-16 06:26 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64150, "You know what idea I'd love to see that would never eve..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Thu 14-Jul-16 06:29 PM

Alright, for example, say Daphedee kept enjoying her character.

And let's say she didn't get bored after 1000 hrs.

And we all know Iunna is done with IMMing.

So what if we let that character become an NPC? Iunna can still play her, but she's forbidden from carrying (Legendary/Famous) gear, but can still rock rare gear. Character can't PK, but can "stun" players so as not to allow players to grief said NPC.

NPC then can interact and have more control over "questy" stuff and actively work with the immortals on STRICTLY AN RP IMMERSION manner.

Edited to add: You would apply to this in a similar manner to IMMing, but it would not have anything to do with your "trustiness" in not abusing the NDA, mostly because you have no "power".

I've never wanted to be "an IMM", but I've always (well, when I have time) wanted to interact with players and make their experience better.

Edited a 2nd time: The thing that got me interested in playing again (after the Halloween shifter thing ended) was the coolness that was Gaspare and Daphedee. They were both incredibly fleshed out characters that were super long-lived, and actively (at least to me) tried to get other players involved in things. And that's the "Ideal" CF to me.

Edited a 3rd time: I came up with this idea because Murphy hates age-dying

UmironThu 14-Jul-16 06:44 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64152, "RE: You know what idea I'd love to see that would never..."
In response to Reply #15

>And we all know Iunna is done with IMMing.

le sigh

>So what if we let that character become an NPC? Iunna can
>still play her, but she's forbidden from carrying
> Legendary/Famous) gear, but can still rock rare gear.
>Character can't PK, but can "stun" players so as not to allow
>players to grief said NPC.
>
>NPC then can interact and have more control over "questy"
>stuff and actively work with the immortals on STRICTLY AN RP
>IMMERSION manner.
>
>Edited to add: You would apply to this in a similar manner to
>IMMing, but it would not have anything to do with your
>"trustiness" in not abusing the NDA, mostly because you have
>no "power".
>
>I've never wanted to be "an IMM", but I've always (well, when
>I have time) wanted to interact with players and make their
>experience better.

If you can bring yourself to play a character and genuinely not care about equipment, high scores, etc., this is pretty much already possible with the exception of the whole living forever thing (which I just don't buy 99.99% of people would get mileage from) and if it really matters to you, leveling up.

Ironically, controlling NPCs (including custom ones invented by oneself) is one of the powers that immortals get right at 53 and yet very few immortals actively use the mechanic.

Anyway, I don't think this is a bad idea, but I don't see it having much ROI either. Though another thousand hours of Daphedee does sound like a positive thing (though maybe not for Iunna's health).

TMNSThu 14-Jul-16 10:06 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64158, "Oh no doubt."
In response to Reply #16
Edited on Thu 14-Jul-16 10:08 PM

Why I said "what I (key word I) want to see".

My "best" experiences on CF (and really, any MUD though I've only played 2) were when IMMs like Khaso or Thror or Muuloc or who-the-####-ever hop into a mob and interact with me.

That, more than anything else, heightens the Immersion factor.

Unfortunately, some of our players do not like this.

Basically, this idea came about because we've heard time and time again the "actual" work that is involved with being an IMM. And I respect the hell out of IMMs I don't even like for doing that #### without getting paid. But there are many players who want to help without being able to or wanting to go into IMM status.

Now, you're correct in that nothing is stopping any of us from rolling a character to interact with other players (super true), however, I find my biggest joy to be interacting (RPing) and my biggest weakness to be the grind to be able to RP. If I am RPing anything that claims to be "competent" and not a blood-stain on the PK road, I have to be able to not get smoked in PK. And therefore I have to spend time gathering gear or preps, I have to work on my skills (not master), I have to rank, etc.

What if I just want to interact? I can't stay at level 1. No one would take me seriously. But what if I was allowed to play as the Mayor of Dagdan for a couple weeks? What if I was allowed to be Olin for a couple weeks? What if I could send players on quests for stupid #### like gold or a darkened helm or whatever? What if these quests were stupid (but fun) #### like "Find me a book of elemental magic" or something like that (IE Kill certain area explore mob). What if I was the Mayor of Dagdan and someone like TJHuron was the Commander of South Dairein? And we had a mini "War" over control over the two towns where we choose champions and had them fight and ####? I'm totally just spitballing #### now, but you get the gist I assume.

Though I totally understand that the ROI on this IS going to be very low, just was something I've always wanted.

ShapaThu 14-Jul-16 11:22 PM
Member since 22nd Jun 2006
252 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64159, "I'm 100% sure you can do all these things as usual mort..."
In response to Reply #19

1. Why do you think that people will want to RP with the mob under control of Sam? You are not immortal and not even Iunna or Gaspare. And people wanted to rp with Daphadee and Gaspare when they were usual mortals.

2. You can be Emperor and TJHuron Marshall and you can have BIG War over control of Thera, not just two minor cities.

3. You can get darkened helm (or even crown of Baphomet) and make a quest. When people know that the very good item is reward then they'll participate.

4. Gaspare forced my 2 elite warlocks to write a lot of text about future of Black Sect to be able to become Dread Lords. So usual mortal can enforce RP if they gain enough power or wealth to be able to reward with.

5. If we speak about helping newbies than even Emperor of Thera can show good alignment level 1 newbie what to do if he decides to.

6. Iunna i think is the special case. And there is no need to change the game for all Mortals. By the way since Imm team has changed why not become Imm again?

LhydiaFri 15-Jul-16 08:54 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
#64162, "Due to recent events I wouldnt be surprised..."
In response to Reply #20
Edited on Fri 15-Jul-16 08:54 AM

To see Iunna or Cyradia return soon regardless of active participation in threads on cheat site.

IunnaThu 14-Jul-16 06:45 PM
473 posts
#64153, "Haha."
In response to Reply #15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

TJHuronThu 14-Jul-16 06:49 PM
1132 posts
#64155, "That's a really neat idea, Sam"
In response to Reply #15

I like it a lot. It's such a great feeling when you have a character that leaves a permanent mark on the game.

DallevianThu 14-Jul-16 12:21 PM
1639 posts
#64120, "Change cabal war structure of items/inners."
In response to Reply #0

no more 1 big fight at an inner but multiple smaller fights at various inners. each inner item, which there'd be multiple (relics), are tied to different powers instead of 1 for all.

make outer guardians weaker but killing the outer only allows entry into the cabal to then kill a construct (container) which has the piece of item you're after. the weaker inners would defend but they're not the ones that have to be killed, just the construct, to retrieve the item (relic) and regain that subset of power.

this would hopefully make cabal wars more quick and dirty, more manageable for lower numbers, and less overwhelming when in a weaker position. and it'd make it more tactical as in if there's just 1 imperial and it's the war master, i'd take the corresponding relic to his powers instead of all.

stlucian1992Thu 14-Jul-16 12:44 PM
Member since 22nd Dec 2006
170 posts
#64121, "RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners."
In response to Reply #1

I like this idea, I think cabal wars could really use a face life. Either by consolidating cabals or adding in something fresh to the mix. I know there's a lack of coders...but if something fresh could really draw in old people and have the game for us who do still play...feel fresh again.

I'm prepared to have these ideas shot down as they do not appeal to the current IMM fun stick but I'm happy people still have fun and fresh ideas being tossed around in hopes that they're looked at.

UmironThu 14-Jul-16 12:57 PM
1497 posts
#64122, "RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners."
In response to Reply #2

>I'm prepared to have these ideas shot down as they do not
>appeal to the current IMM fun stick

You really need to knock this off.

We sometimes dismiss ideas because we just don't like them, but it's usually not quite that arbitrary. But when you reek of having a chip on your shoulder like this it becomes particularly hard to focus on what you (or others) have to say over the noise of your discontented sighs.

stlucian1992Thu 14-Jul-16 01:03 PM
170 posts
#64123, "RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners."
In response to Reply #3

Knock it off? I've only posted about it twice. After seeing another "It erodes the funstick of the IMM's" response to some sound ideas or advice on where the game can go. Checking my handle you'll see I don't normally post but after seeing the continuous pattern I thought I'd chime up. If that's an issue what's the point of the forums in the first place?

KstatidaThu 14-Jul-16 01:11 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64125, "In fact everyone should knock it off"
In response to Reply #4

Cause I'm pretty sure that attitude was what changed Umiron's take on players in the first place. It's too bad people are not mature enough to understand that badmouthing someone only turns him against you whatever the reasons. We're like one collective funnyone if we behave like that, although we boast being "mature" or even "middle-aged".

stlucian1992Thu 14-Jul-16 01:13 PM
170 posts
#64126, "RE: In fact everyone should knock it off"
In response to Reply #6

I didn't bad mouth him, I use his verbiage on his take to working on CF that's all. If he doesn't like it then I don't know what to say.

KstatidaThu 14-Jul-16 01:27 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
#64130, "Sorry I'm ESL"
In response to Reply #7

Badmouth means snarky comments as well.

UmironThu 14-Jul-16 02:08 PM
1497 posts
#64135, "RE: In fact everyone should knock it off"
In response to Reply #7

>I didn't bad mouth him, I use his verbiage on his take to
>working on CF that's all. If he doesn't like it then I don't
>know what to say.

No, what you did was take a snippet of what I said out of context and used it to make generalizations. Don't be like Fox News.

JormyrThu 14-Jul-16 01:45 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#64133, "RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners."
In response to Reply #4

Actually, that's quite understated. Since April, there's five discussions you've commented on (some repeatedly), and half of those I quickly came across a random "oh, but the Immortals won't listen anyways" comment thrown in there unnecessarily. It doesn't make the actual discussion any more valid, just makes those who you need to convince less interested to listen. This doesn't even start on graveyard posts.

Though I try to keep my mortal times somewhat separate from Jormyr, you and I actually used to talk somewhat often, and you certainly come off more jaded now. Ultimately, a lot of change comes down to coder availability, and that's something we just don't have a lot of.

stlucian1992Thu 14-Jul-16 02:41 PM
170 posts
#64137, "RE: Change cabal war structure of items/inners."
In response to Reply #9

I don't think I've become jaded because I hardly comment on post on Carrionfields. By all means check my graveyard post because I never have placed any scrutiny on an IMM, or developed a stance other than thanking for the game. As of recent I have voiced my opinion after seeing a pattern. As I've said before if I go from being praised and told "we need more people like you both IC and OOC" or that my attitude is "refreshing" to now being told I sound jaded. Just because I have found we are wasting our time majority of the time by posting ideas of a better tomorrow for CF then so be it.

LhydiaThu 14-Jul-16 03:10 PM
2390 posts
#64140, "This is not how to prove you aren't jaded. n/t"
In response to Reply #11

Gr

stlucian1992Thu 14-Jul-16 03:16 PM
170 posts
#64141, "RE: This is not how to prove you aren't jaded. n/t"
In response to Reply #13
Edited on Thu 14-Jul-16 03:27 PM

At this point there's no proving or disproving. I'm very sure at this point everyone has a bit of jaded undertone. I rather be considered jaded here then in game.

I've only just begun voicing my thoughts which after this I'll probably recede back to whence I came and just play the game despite it moving forward, remaining the same, or doubling back.

I do love the game, thanks once more for what the IMM's do. I just guess like everyone else I'm afraid of the game dwindling. In truth there's nothing quite like it.

We're on the premise of virtual augmented games like Pokémon Go, I still run back to CF because it's limitless.

Apologies to those whom got offended. It's really not my style to be stirring up a mess anyways. I'm just going to go back to playing

DallevianThu 14-Jul-16 02:50 PM
1639 posts
#64138, "no chip here but i"
In response to Reply #3

will advocate for my idea! go idea!!

TJHuronThu 14-Jul-16 01:05 PM
1132 posts
#64124, "I've got nothing against a cabal war overhaul"
In response to Reply #1

One of the purposes behind my ideas was that they could (hopefully) be installed quite easily without a massive overhaul of a particular aspect of the game.

Call them a quick fix that might incentivize more people to play or people to play more often.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #64119 Previous topic | Next topic