Subject: "What are you looking for in roles lately?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63836
Show all folders

QuixoticTue 14-Jun-16 06:30 PM
Member since 09th Feb 2006
837 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63836, "What are you looking for in roles lately?"

I've won role contests several times over the years, but my last three characters haven't even been acknowledged for having a role after 200 hours.

Do you divide out who is in charge of reading which roles? Do you look at characters at 20 hours and determine if you will bother reading anything they write? Am I, the player, on someone's #### list?

Some people are being noticed, and if I'm lacking in some category, I'd rather get negative feedback that I can learn from than crickets.

Thanks

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: What are you looking for in roles lately?, Aarn, 15-Jun-16 10:36 PM, #2
Reply I will add., Drehir, 16-Jun-16 11:34 AM, #
Reply Advice so nice you had to add it thrice, Swordsosaurus, 02-Jul-16 12:45 AM, #5
Reply I will add., Drehir, 16-Jun-16 11:34 AM, #
Reply I will add., Drehir, 16-Jun-16 11:34 AM, #3
Reply Novel-length roles are selfish, given the seeming short..., Doof, 01-Jul-16 07:00 AM, #4
Reply Same thing as before, Destuvius, 14-Jun-16 07:33 PM, #1

AarnWed 15-Jun-16 10:36 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63851, "RE: What are you looking for in roles lately?"
In response to Reply #0

Roughly in order of importance:

-Tell me something useful about the character and their motivations. This is, after all, the point. Your role should ideally make watching you in action make more sense.

-To the point. You might enjoy writing a novel, but I don't really want to have to read one every time I check out a character's role.

-Realistic. By CF standards, that is. If your role involves you slaying a dragon at, essentially, level 0, you're immediately starting your reader off with an eye-roll.

-Quality writing.

-Formatting. Please take pity on your readers and adhere to 80 characters max per line.

DrehirThu 16-Jun-16 11:34 AM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63854, "I will add."

I think motivations trump character backstory. I don't mind if you write a little bit longer of a story, but if that story has nothing to do with the character it defeats the purpose. The backstory is really there to set mood, placement, and to show off the character, imo.

For hypothetical example: If your character had rich parents but you never met them and they are dead. Most of the role should probably not be about the mostly irrelevant parents.

I've read a few really well-written, long stories where the role had almost nothing to do with the character.

SwordsosaurusSat 02-Jul-16 12:45 AM
Member since 16th May 2010
295 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#64012, "Advice so nice you had to add it thrice"
In response to Reply #0

I used to write stories that had nothing to do with motivation, but over the years have started to favor motivation over backstory. Good to hear I steered in the right direction. Only took 10+ years to pound that logic in my head.

85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63855, "I will add."

I think motivations trump character backstory. I don't mind if you write a little bit longer of a story, but if that story has nothing to do with the character it defeats the purpose. The backstory is really there to set mood, placement, and to show off the character, imo.

For hypothetical example: If your character had rich parents but you never met them and they are dead. Most of the role should probably not be about the mostly irrelevant parents.

I've read a few really well-written, long stories where the role had almost nothing to do with the character.

85 posts
#63856, "I will add."
In response to Reply #2

DoofFri 01-Jul-16 07:00 AM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#64011, "Novel-length roles are selfish, given the seeming short..."
In response to Reply #2

DestuviusTue 14-Jun-16 07:33 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#63837, "Same thing as before"
In response to Reply #0

Just less people doing the work than in the past.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63836 Previous topic | Next topic