Subject: "Law clarification" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63774
Show all folders

Serial arsonist (Anonymous)Tue 07-Jun-16 08:20 AM
Charter member
#63774, "Law clarification"

Can we have some clarification on the laws applied to ignite? It is common practice that outlanders get their warrant for igniting the cities. The law #3 is applied, with ignite counted as offensive (or harmful) power even though unlike fireball the skill itself is not harmful.

Considering the harm done is indirect and does not match the given examples, could help laws be adjusted to address this ambiguation?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Law clarification, Umiron, 07-Jun-16 12:52 PM, #8
Reply Gotcha, thanks!, Serial arsonist (Anonymous), 07-Jun-16 12:54 PM, #9
Reply Go start a fire at Walmart and explain to them why it i..., Lhydia, 07-Jun-16 11:03 AM, #2
Reply The help file is ambigious, Serial arsonist (Anonymous), 07-Jun-16 11:39 AM, #3
Reply Yeah this question made me chuckle for this reason Nt , TJHuron, 07-Jun-16 02:24 PM, #10
Reply Starting a fire in Walmart would do wonders for the hum..., lurker, 09-Jun-16 12:57 AM, #11
Reply What's ambiguous about setting buildings on fire?, laxman, 07-Jun-16 09:05 AM, #1
     Reply Read law # 3, Serial arsonist (Anonymous), 07-Jun-16 11:40 AM, #4
          Reply Seriously...what part of setting things on fire isn't o..., Lhydia, 07-Jun-16 12:11 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Read law # 3, Drehir, 07-Jun-16 12:20 PM, #6
               Reply RE: Read law # 3, Serial arsonist (Anonymous), 07-Jun-16 12:34 PM, #7
                    Reply Think in terms of life, not game mechanics, and you'll ..., Doof, 10-Jun-16 05:07 AM, #12
                    Reply Thinking in terms of life is useless, Serial arsonist (Anonymous), 10-Jun-16 05:29 AM, #13
                         Reply Ah the 'Never use common sense IC' argument. , Lhydia, 10-Jun-16 05:45 AM, #14
                              Reply It's another argument, Serial arsonist (Anonymous), 10-Jun-16 10:19 AM, #15
                    Reply RE: Read law # 3, Drehir, 10-Jun-16 11:57 AM, #16
                         Reply Yeah I get the idea, Serial arsonist (Anonymous), 10-Jun-16 03:46 PM, #17
                         Reply what's amusing is that attacking someone technically is..., Dallevian, 10-Jun-16 03:50 PM, #18
                              Reply I'm well aware, Drehir, 12-Jun-16 09:10 AM, #19
                                   Reply Totally, Kstatida, 12-Jun-16 10:23 AM, #20

UmironTue 07-Jun-16 12:52 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63784, "RE: Law clarification"
In response to Reply #0

The second law applies and I'm perfectly happy with the language (specifically, "... or harmful powers ..."). Thanks, though.

Serial arsonist (Anonymous)Tue 07-Jun-16 12:54 PM
Charter member
#63785, "Gotcha, thanks!"
In response to Reply #8

gr

LhydiaTue 07-Jun-16 11:03 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63777, "Go start a fire at Walmart and explain to them why it i..."
In response to Reply #0

Gr

Serial arsonist (Anonymous)Tue 07-Jun-16 11:39 AM
Charter member
#63779, "The help file is ambigious"
In response to Reply #2

My suggestion is about making it clear in a helpfile that damaging the city itself is a crime. By the way, through this vandalize may also become a felony.

TJHuronTue 07-Jun-16 02:24 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63790, "Yeah this question made me chuckle for this reason Nt "
In response to Reply #2

Nt

lurkerThu 09-Jun-16 12:57 AM
Member since 13th Mar 2006
249 posts
#63803, "Starting a fire in Walmart would do wonders for the hum..."
In response to Reply #2

A lot of undesirable recessive traits would be eliminated

laxmanTue 07-Jun-16 09:05 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#63775, "What's ambiguous about setting buildings on fire?"
In response to Reply #0

The fires can do damage to anyone who stands in them.

Serial arsonist (Anonymous)Tue 07-Jun-16 11:40 AM
Charter member
#63780, "Read law # 3"
In response to Reply #1

As it is now, ignite is definitely a grey area. My suggestion is about fixing a help file so it is not, not about decriminalizing ignite.

LhydiaTue 07-Jun-16 12:11 PM
2390 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63781, "Seriously...what part of setting things on fire isn't o..."
In response to Reply #4

I thought trolls were afraid of fire.

DrehirTue 07-Jun-16 12:20 PM
Member since 19th Jul 2015
85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63782, "RE: Read law # 3"
In response to Reply #4

>As it is now, ignite is definitely a grey area. My suggestion
>is about fixing a help file so it is not, not about
>decriminalizing ignite.

2. No offensive area spells or harmful powers will be used in any protected
area. This includes area spells from charmed, summoned or attacked
creatures.

I really have no idea how you came to that determination.

Serial arsonist (Anonymous)Tue 07-Jun-16 12:34 PM
Charter member
#63783, "RE: Read law # 3"
In response to Reply #6

>I really have no idea how you came to that determination.

Well ignite is definitely not an offensive area spell. And the damage is indirect and postponed and may even be beneficial if firetap is utilized, so the definition of "harmful power" seems to be somewhat stretched here. Following this logic to the extremes, I might warrant people for slowing their trusting groupmembers, because slow can definitely be considered a harmful power.

Once again, I'm not advocating that outlanders should not be marked for arson. I'm suggesting making the helpfile more clear, for example with:

No offensive area spells or harmful powers will be used in any protected area. This includes creating various harmful conditions and also area spells from charmed, summoned or attacked creatures.

DoofFri 10-Jun-16 05:07 AM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#63810, "Think in terms of life, not game mechanics, and you'll ..."
In response to Reply #7

Serial arsonist (Anonymous)Fri 10-Jun-16 05:29 AM
Charter member
#63811, "Thinking in terms of life is useless"
In response to Reply #12

Because it's not life. Judgment and RP should be done based on game rules, not common sense.

LhydiaFri 10-Jun-16 05:45 AM
2390 posts
#63812, "Ah the 'Never use common sense IC' argument. "
In response to Reply #13

Invented by Valg for game economy purposes, fine tuned by crazies every year ever since.

Serial arsonist (Anonymous)Fri 10-Jun-16 10:19 AM
Charter member
#63813, "It's another argument"
In response to Reply #14

Between game rules and common sense, game rules have priority.

If game rules match common sense - Lord be praised, if they don't - see the earlier.

DrehirFri 10-Jun-16 11:57 AM
85 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63814, "RE: Read law # 3"
In response to Reply #7

There is an obvious reason why the laws are vague. Offensive area spells or harmful powers covers pretty much anything that someone MIGHT try to get away with. Which is why we do not have a list of every harmful power in the game listed or a crazy amount of explanations. Otherwise you would run into situations like "Hey, fireball was not on the list of offensive area spells. Why did you warrant me?"

You could totally try to follow that logic to the extremes, but I think you'd get kicked out of Tribunal because the cabal would expect you to exercise common sense of a magistrate IC. If you don't understand what that means, I suggest you play one and learn from other people.

Serial arsonist (Anonymous)Fri 10-Jun-16 03:46 PM
Charter member
#63815, "Yeah I get the idea"
In response to Reply #16

I just thought that ignite was kind of unique.

DallevianFri 10-Jun-16 03:50 PM
1639 posts
#63816, "what's amusing is that attacking someone technically is..."
In response to Reply #16

1. Murder, Theft and Looting in a protected city are against the law. This
includes looting the pit of equipment that is not your own. You will be held
responsible for your groupmate's actions.

2. No offensive area spells or harmful powers will be used in any protected
area. This includes area spells from charmed, summoned or attacked
creatures.

murder implies killing, otherwise it is attempted murder. if you get away, i didn't murder you. pincer is not a spell or harmful power. i've always said that the laws need updating to include 'Attacking' or 'Trying To Hurt'. 'Harming' is not sufficient enough because i could try to cranial you, miss, and one of us flee and you still be perfect health.

anyway. food for thought. and yes i have argued the above just for the fun of it.

DrehirSun 12-Jun-16 09:10 AM
85 posts
#63819, "I'm well aware"
In response to Reply #18

I also find that amusing coming from the Outlander perspective. Arguing a point like that in game is fine as an Outlander. To argue it as a Magistrate, I'd be concerned that the direction of the character is not going to go in the direction you want it to.

It is the same for you missing a blackjack. If they flee before any attacks are made, is it really attempted murder? It does initiate combat. There are also a couple different things to keep in mind as well. What is the Tribunal's definition of Murder? Does attempted murder fall under its definition? I'd assume yes. Still an interesting thought.

Regardless, it is fun to make the arguments and keep things playful IC.

KstatidaSun 12-Jun-16 10:23 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63820, "Totally"
In response to Reply #19

There are some roles, however, that do not allow for that kind of communication. I couldn't mock trib decisions as Gromm, for example, because the laws were non-existent for the character, cities were just hunting grounds made of stone. The character did not comprehend reason behind manacles.

It's totally fun to play that angle as a character with more social intelligence though.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63774 Previous topic | Next topic