Subject: "Ask Me Anything" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63675
Show all folders

AarnTue 31-May-16 04:40 PM
Member since 04th Feb 2005
566 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63675, "Ask Me Anything"

So, borrowing from reddit, I thought I would toss out my own little CF AMA. Like the subject says, ask me anything; CF, Fort, or whatever comes to mind, and I'll try to have an answer. It's been a while since I was around, so if you have questions about my philosophy regarding any of this stuff, ask away. Empowerment, religion? Shoot. Recipes for baking a pie? You can ask, but I wouldn't suggest it.

And do please ask something. I'll feel silly if the thread only gets two replies.

Aarn

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Non-DEX warriors, Retan, 07-Jun-16 07:26 AM, #65
Reply RE: Non-DEX warriors, Aarn, 07-Jun-16 07:32 PM, #66
Reply Would you recommend your own religion to an empowerment..., JohnEveryMan, 06-Jun-16 12:42 PM, #62
Reply RE: Would you recommend your own religion to an empower..., Aarn, 06-Jun-16 08:27 PM, #63
Reply Gnome Warrior, Jaegendar, 05-Jun-16 03:55 PM, #60
Reply Fist/hours, laxman, 05-Jun-16 07:16 PM, #61
Reply What do you like about CF?, Aereglen, 05-Jun-16 03:29 AM, #57
Reply What I like about CF, Aarn, 05-Jun-16 07:11 AM, #58
     Reply Great answer! Thank you, and welcome back., Aereglen, 07-Jun-16 12:59 AM, #64
Reply The eternal question. What the deal is? n/t, Doof, 04-Jun-16 03:49 PM, #56
Reply Quest form, laxman, 02-Jun-16 09:29 AM, #50
Reply RE: Quest form, Aarn, 03-Jun-16 08:18 PM, #52
Reply RE: Ask Me Anything, lasentia, 01-Jun-16 07:18 AM, #49
Reply RE: Ask Me Anything, Aarn, 03-Jun-16 08:24 PM, #53
     Reply You can light forge shields. n/t, Relio, 04-Jun-16 12:41 AM, #54
          Reply Noob, Aarn, 04-Jun-16 08:07 AM, #55
Reply RE: Ask Me Anything, Tolgrumm, 31-May-16 07:18 PM, #47
Reply RE: Ask Me Anything, Aarn, 31-May-16 08:20 PM, #48
Reply Post Removed: TMI, Umiron, 31-May-16 04:42 PM, #43
Reply Didn't think about it, Banned, 31-May-16 05:17 PM, #44
     Reply RE: Didn't think about it, Umiron, 31-May-16 05:22 PM, #45
Reply Two things..., Mjothkalt, 31-May-16 09:59 AM, #42
Reply Velkurah, Aarn, 31-May-16 05:53 PM, #46
Reply Three things., TMNS, 30-May-16 03:25 PM, #36
Reply RE: Three things., Aarn, 30-May-16 09:10 PM, #37
     Reply Help me out, laxman, 30-May-16 10:05 PM, #38
          Reply RE: Help me out, Aarn, 30-May-16 10:12 PM, #39
Reply Regarding dwarven women, amazingdonnie, 30-May-16 11:23 AM, #33
Reply Ride a Lexus, Kstatida, 30-May-16 11:35 AM, #34
Reply What about tatting outside of your spheres?, Kstatida, 30-May-16 02:13 AM, #31
Reply RE: What about tatting outside of your spheres?, Aarn, 30-May-16 09:25 AM, #32
Reply Anti-script code, Saagkri, 29-May-16 08:56 PM, #25
Reply No. (nt), Umiron, 29-May-16 10:10 PM, #26
     Reply Informative posts help. , Grifter, 29-May-16 10:17 PM, #27
          Reply Since I doubt Umi will respond..., Saagkri, 30-May-16 12:37 AM, #29
          Reply WTF? Three Y or N, questions, all answered. Why is th..., Doof, 31-May-16 04:39 AM, #41
          Reply He didn't type "No" three times, lurker, 05-Jun-16 01:55 PM, #59
          Reply RE: Informative posts help. , incognito, 03-Jun-16 01:33 AM, #51
Reply Are you watching non-followers?, Sertius, 29-May-16 07:12 PM, #21
Reply RE: Are you watching non-followers?, Aarn, 29-May-16 08:12 PM, #23
Reply RE: Ask Me Anything, Borkahd, 29-May-16 06:48 PM, #19
Reply RE: Ask Me Anything, Aarn, 29-May-16 08:08 PM, #22
     Reply RE: Ask Me Anything, Borkahd, 29-May-16 08:48 PM, #24
Reply Using a tattoo, tanoomi71, 29-May-16 05:02 PM, #8
Reply RE: Using a tattoo, Aarn, 29-May-16 05:18 PM, #12
     Reply RE: Using a tattoo, tanoomi71, 29-May-16 05:20 PM, #13
          Reply RE: Using a tattoo, Aarn, 29-May-16 05:22 PM, #15
          Reply RE: Using a tattoo, Umiron, 29-May-16 05:41 PM, #16
               Reply RE: Using a tattoo, tanoomi71, 29-May-16 06:22 PM, #17
                    Reply *sigh* (nt), Umiron, 29-May-16 06:35 PM, #18
Reply How Shokai-ish are you?, wareagle, 29-May-16 04:46 PM, #3
Reply RE: How Shokai-ish are you?, Aarn, 29-May-16 05:14 PM, #10
     Reply Also..., Aarn, 29-May-16 05:20 PM, #14
          Reply Yep answered my question., wareagle, 29-May-16 07:04 PM, #20
Reply Biggest pet peeve for would be followers?, JohnEveryMan, 29-May-16 04:45 PM, #2
Reply RE: Biggest pet peeve for would be followers?, Aarn, 29-May-16 04:57 PM, #6
Reply Maran criteria please?, Kstatida, 29-May-16 04:24 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Maran criteria please?, Aarn, 29-May-16 04:55 PM, #4
     Reply Why can't IMMs post on Dio's? NT, Saagkri, 29-May-16 04:57 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Why can't IMMs post on Dio's? NT, Aarn, 29-May-16 04:58 PM, #7
          Reply Oh, and welcome back! NT, Saagkri, 29-May-16 05:00 PM, #9
          Reply On second thought..., Aarn, 29-May-16 05:17 PM, #11
          Reply RE: Why can't IMMs post on Dio's? NT, Umiron, 29-May-16 10:25 PM, #28
               Reply So in essence, you hate Dios and look down on it, Murphy, 30-May-16 02:05 AM, #30
                    Reply RE: So in essence, you hate Dios and look down on it, Aarn, 30-May-16 11:57 AM, #35
                    Reply It's not about Dio's, Kstatida, 31-May-16 03:31 AM, #40

RetanTue 07-Jun-16 07:26 AM
Member since 14th Oct 2011
218 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63773, "Non-DEX warriors"
In response to Reply #0

Do you have any comments you what to throw out on the topic of DEX based warriors vs. Non-DEX warriors?

Lately the DEX warriors (Wood-elves, Arials, etc.) Have been stomping all over the Non DEX ones (Giants, Dwarves, etc.) to the point that a lot of players have commented that they wouldn't want to do things like Storm Giant warrios anymore. I realize this is not always the case, but with a majority of the PB looking at it in this manner do you think that the situation needs tweaking?

Bonus Question:
Polearm has been in the same boat for a while with swords seeming to be the defensive choice now. Any comments on that? Do the two topics go hand in hand?

AarnTue 07-Jun-16 07:32 PM
566 posts
#63793, "RE: Non-DEX warriors"
In response to Reply #65

Sorry, I've basically been away for ten years, and have come back relatively junior.

You'll have to stick to questions I can answer!

JohnEveryManMon 06-Jun-16 12:42 PM
Member since 25th Aug 2012
247 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63762, "Would you recommend your own religion to an empowerment..."
In response to Reply #0

N/T

Sent from my Iphone

AarnMon 06-Jun-16 08:27 PM
566 posts
#63769, "RE: Would you recommend your own religion to an empower..."
In response to Reply #62

Yes. I think I mentioned it elsewhere in the thread, but I intended Aarn's religion to be easy to follow at a basic level (empowerment) but hard to follow at a high level (tattoo).

Basically you can get empowered by Aarn if you've read the helpfile and put actual thought into how it fits with your character. Many of the questions that will be asked in empowerment don't require right answers so much as they require an answer that reveals any thought whatsoever.

JaegendarSun 05-Jun-16 03:55 PM
Member since 30th May 2014
136 posts
#63752, "Gnome Warrior"
In response to Reply #0

Which specs/legacies would make the most deathful gnome warrior in all of Thera's history?

-Jaeg

laxmanSun 05-Jun-16 07:16 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#63753, "Fist/hours"
In response to Reply #60

Hours works around your general blandness with all weapon specs and fist gives you a wider range of choices. With gnome edges and HP you wil have solid passive defense and a lot of room to soak damage. Add hand because it is somewhat stat agnostic and has stun and maybe spear dimly for impale and go to town.

AereglenSun 05-Jun-16 03:29 AM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63747, "What do you like about CF?"
In response to Reply #0

There are a million games out there. Why CF?

AarnSun 05-Jun-16 07:10 AM
566 posts
#63749, "What I like about CF"
In response to Reply #57
Edited on Sun 05-Jun-16 07:11 AM

I like the balance of PK and RP. Each enhances the other, and since experiencing CF I find games that only do one lack lasting appeal.

I also really like how actions have consequences, and loosing is a real setback. You die, and someone maybe takes your stuff. It's frustrating when it happens, but in the big picture that's exactly what makes it meaningful when things go well. Similarly I also used to enjoy playing Eve Online for just this reason; losses are real setbacks and the winner can loot your stuff. But Eve can't really be played seriously unless you can log on regularly for 4+ hours without interruption, I find, so I didn't stick with it.

The shared history of CF is great too, which is why I almost always include references to real players in my areas. Big MMO-style games often have a very impersonal history. On CF the characters who rose to great heights are often still legends today, with their names inscribed in places of prominence. Being able to contribute to that, or remember the role you played in that, is awesome.

And finally, the community. Obviously like all communities, our community has some undesirable elements too, and for some people the internet and especially anonymity brings out the worst in them, but just because they're more vocal doesn't mean they're in the majority. I've met a lot of friends through CF, everything from the casual sort you chat with occasionally online to the sort who you're in each others wedding parties. You forget about the trolls quick.

Aarn

AereglenTue 07-Jun-16 12:59 AM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63771, "Great answer! Thank you, and welcome back."
In response to Reply #58

I find myself agreeing with everything you said. It is a wonderful blessing to have you back. Thank you.

DoofSat 04-Jun-16 03:49 PM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#63746, "The eternal question. What the deal is? n/t"
In response to Reply #0

laxmanThu 02-Jun-16 09:29 AM
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#63734, "Quest form"
In response to Reply #0

If you were to adopt a signature quest form for your religion what would it be and do?

AarnFri 03-Jun-16 08:18 PM
566 posts
#63740, "RE: Quest form"
In response to Reply #50

This, obviously:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bearded+dragon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimv_j-mI3NAhXMHx4KHb04DlwQ_AUIBygB&biw=1525&bih=736&dpr=0.9

Or maybe this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bearded+collie&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj126ynmY3NAhVC1h4KHXGxA08Q_AUIBygB&biw=1525&bih=736&dpr=0.9

In all seriousness I'm not a particular fan of quest forms, at least of the sort that is more powerful than normal ones, and even if one fit well I probably wouldn't want it. I suppose I could get behind a quest form that was essentially just an existing form reskinned, with maybe one little added something, but I don't know of anything that would fit the religion very well.

lasentiaWed 01-Jun-16 07:18 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
#63727, "RE: Ask Me Anything"
In response to Reply #0

Aarn,

I have 3 questions, if you don't mind.

After a few attempts to play characters, I usually end up getting bored and losing my motivation for the char because it feels stagnant, so what tips do you have to help keep players interested in playing out their characters instead of chronically rerolling after 100 hours?

Second, lightforge is so much fun, so I was wondering if bards could forge instruments ever, or might in the future?

Finally, what's your favorite fantasy novel series, as I assume everyone who plays CF has one?

AarnFri 03-Jun-16 08:24 PM
566 posts
#63741, "RE: Ask Me Anything"
In response to Reply #49

>After a few attempts to play characters, I usually end up
>getting bored and losing my motivation for the char because it
>feels stagnant, so what tips do you have to help keep players
>interested in playing out their characters instead of
>chronically rerolling after 100 hours?

I know exactly this feeling. What works for me is to come up with some sort of hook that constantly pulls me into the character, even when the "real" me is trying to take over because it's easier. It can be as simple as a language tick, even. That goes hand-in-hand with developing a roll well.

>Second, lightforge is so much fun, so I was wondering if bards
>could forge instruments ever, or might in the future?

That's an interesting idea, I can't say I've considered it. We do allow wands now. But if bards could do instruments, what about shields? I'm a little bit ambivalent about the idea, but I'm open to being persuaded. Persuading the rest of the staff would be just as important though.

>Finally, what's your favorite fantasy novel series, as I
>assume everyone who plays CF has one?

That's a brutally difficult question...

Okay, I can't think of just one. For a sampling I'll go with Wheel of Time, Dresden Files and virtually everything Brandon Sanderson has written. But I could go on!

RelioSat 04-Jun-16 12:41 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2014
246 posts
#63742, "You can light forge shields. n/t"
In response to Reply #53

nt

AarnSat 04-Jun-16 08:07 AM
566 posts
#63743, "Noob"
In response to Reply #54

Apparently I should have asked on the newbie channel first, where I belong.

TolgrummTue 31-May-16 07:18 PM
Member since 24th Feb 2013
64 posts
#63724, "RE: Ask Me Anything"
In response to Reply #0

Welcome back! Your Fort presence in my penultimate Fort character's life, Azidreth, was awesome. I'm tempted to try an Aarnite comeback despite my limited time.

Since you're now essentially flying solo with MARAN, do you have any different goals for either the cabal or your own interactions than last time you played?

>So, borrowing from reddit, I thought I would toss out my own
>little CF AMA. Like the subject says, ask me anything; CF,
>Fort, or whatever comes to mind, and I'll try to have an
>answer. It's been a while since I was around, so if you have
>questions about my philosophy regarding any of this stuff, ask
>away. Empowerment, religion? Shoot. Recipes for baking a
>pie? You can ask, but I wouldn't suggest it.
>
>And do please ask something. I'll feel silly if the thread
>only gets two replies.
>
>Aarn

AarnTue 31-May-16 08:20 PM
566 posts
#63725, "RE: Ask Me Anything"
In response to Reply #47

Thanks!

I do have some different goals for Maran, but you'll just have to wait and see what comes of it. As for my own goals, I want to spend more time doing little random interactions. Very low overhead to pull off, and are often fun for everyone. The big stuff like quests are fun too, but takes tons of effort to pull together.

UmironTue 31-May-16 04:42 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
#63720, "Post Removed: TMI"
In response to Reply #0

I appreciate that you didn't name names, but part of the question is still something that people should find out IC.

BannedTue 31-May-16 05:17 PM
Member since 13th Apr 2016
23 posts
#63721, "Didn't think about it"
In response to Reply #43

My bad.

PS: mind unblocking my real IP? Realy annoying to use proxies to post each time, and it's already months passed since.

UmironTue 31-May-16 05:22 PM
1497 posts
#63722, "RE: Didn't think about it"
In response to Reply #44

I'm not interested in playing whack-a-mole with you, but if you're going to post things to the effect of "I was previously banned and I'm circumventing my ban" then I'll bother to spend the 30 seconds it takes to disable the account.

MjothkaltTue 31-May-16 09:59 AM
Member since 31st May 2016
4 posts
#63718, "Two things..."
In response to Reply #0

1) is there any chance we can put something into cf that let's mortals access some of the old Valma Katol lore, so there might be an IC basis for some mortals to incorporate that into their role? (I thought the mystery that was the Valma Katol was my favorite IC "hook" I've ever seen in cf)

2) if the answer to that is yes, might it perhaps be possible to do it in a way that might give an IC nod to Alarian... (the player of whom, Wesley, I served with in the infantry. He was an Army Officer who died tragically)

Really glad to see you back,

Odrirg.

AarnTue 31-May-16 05:53 PM
566 posts
#63723, "Velkurah"
In response to Reply #42

I'm not opposed to incorporating stuff from Velkurah somewhere, but to be honest I don't have a ton of records from then. I would have to dig around to see if I even have my help file and shrine...

TMNSMon 30-May-16 03:25 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#63712, "Three things."
In response to Reply #0

Welcome back, you were one of my favs (even when you were playing under the radar chars as a simple player).

1) I know some of the basic backstory of Aarn (since he showed up around the same time I started playing CF), has any of that changed/been updated or is it basically still old-school Aarn?

2) Shaman paths: Are you the type of IMM that chooses the paths for the player based on their role/RP? Or will you give them a choice (I know some IMMs do the former and some do the later).

3) Any chance we see any Ki-Rin sightings?

PS We love you Aarn, so don't leave again. PLZ DONT LEAVE AGAIN.

AarnMon 30-May-16 09:10 PM
566 posts
#63713, "RE: Three things."
In response to Reply #36

>Welcome back, you were one of my favs (even when you were
>playing under the radar chars as a simple player).

Thanks!

>1) I know some of the basic backstory of Aarn (since he showed
>up around the same time I started playing CF), has any of that
>changed/been updated or is it basically still old-school
>Aarn?

Should all still be accurate. My shrine has some info in it, and the rest would best be discussed IC, maybe with my priest mobs.

>2) Shaman paths: Are you the type of IMM that chooses the
>paths for the player based on their role/RP? Or will you give
>them a choice (I know some IMMs do the former and some do the
>later).

So, shaman paths are an entirely new thing for me, even since the last time I dabbled with a mortal, so I'm not all that familiar with the specifics. I would say, generally speaking (e.g. virtues also) I wouldn't want someone to straight up say "I want this one!" but I would be perfectly fine with very strong hints written into a role. If the role-suggested path feels appropriate after some roleplay too, it's basically 100% I would give that one.

>3) Any chance we see any Ki-Rin sightings?

I don't have any plans to carry a remort around right now, but I assume it's a possibility in the future. But it probably won't be Velk unless it's Tribs that need the help!

laxmanMon 30-May-16 10:05 PM
1867 posts
#63714, "Help me out"
In response to Reply #37

I suck at discusional RP. I struggle to get past I want empowerment because I want to play this class. So my chats are basically, you are cool, I am cool, give me some juice so we can be cool. Generally I get pity empowerment but it's obviously unfulfilling for both me and the imm.

You mention role playing with shrine mobs. How does that work? Pray I'm here, then start chatting with them?

AarnMon 30-May-16 10:12 PM
566 posts
#63715, "RE: Help me out"
In response to Reply #38

Well, in most cases if I'm on I probably know when you enter my shrine. If I'm free at that moment, I'll take over the priest mobs. I think generally speaking you can pray like normal, and if it's the priest mobs that respond then this is what happened. If they don't, I'm probably not around. Unless you catch me vis, most of our early interactions will likely be through them.

I get you with the struggles. For me I think there are two things to keep in mind. One, I want to know you thought your character through somehow, so that more effort than "i'm cool you're cool let's be cool together" went into it. But you don't have to have all the right answers right away. You can even say something wrong. Just listen to what the mobs say and adapt.

That's another good reason to prefer going through the mobs. I can be way more forgiving through the priests than I can through a dwarf god of rage persona, though Aarn is fairly level headed by and large.

If you're looking for a tattoo expect multiple talks over a period of time. I'm also partial to swooping in and giving rewards when I see you do something cool, but obviously that requires me to see something happen.

amazingdonnieMon 30-May-16 11:23 AM
Member since 19th Nov 2013
148 posts
#63709, "Regarding dwarven women"
In response to Reply #0

Hi Aarn,

I was wondering if you had any pointers for young dwarves looking to kindle a forge of love. Dwarven women are somewhat perplexing to me and I always find myself unable to earn their affections. I try to be very nice and give them presents but they usually just belch in my direction. What am I doing wrong?

KstatidaMon 30-May-16 11:35 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63710, "Ride a Lexus"
In response to Reply #33

And wash your hair.

KstatidaMon 30-May-16 02:13 AM
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63706, "What about tatting outside of your spheres?"
In response to Reply #0

And not really with "followers", but if RP and character concept matches Aarn's stand on things to a great extent?

Like "I approve this guy" kind of tattoo.

P.S. I just happen to play a lot of rage and destruction guys ))

AarnMon 30-May-16 09:25 AM
566 posts
#63707, "RE: What about tatting outside of your spheres?"
In response to Reply #31

I'm not aware of a "standard" on this question, either now or from when I was active in the late 90s and early 2000s.

It seems like, for spheres to have any meaning at all, it has to be at the least very unusual for this to happen. I actually did it with a character of my own once, a sphere honor paladin getting tattooed by Shokai. However, that was an unusual situation where I was trying to follow a sphere with no god at the time, and Shokai's mortal background in Knights and my characters position in the Fort made him suited to the whole thing.

So, I wouldn't roll a character planning for this. But if the situation arises where it fits very well in some way I can't really imagine right now, I think it would be possible.

SaagkriSun 29-May-16 08:56 PM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#63700, "Anti-script code"
In response to Reply #0

Is there any chance that anti-script code for OBS/EXP will affect people who don't use scripts?

Like, if I try to look at things in the desc of a room and 3 in a row don't have a desc, will it trigger a penalty or turn off OBS exp for awhile?

Can you give anymore specifics about the code if there's anything I should avoid as a non-script user?

Thanks

UmironSun 29-May-16 10:10 PM
1497 posts
#63701, "No. (nt)"
In response to Reply #25

asd

GrifterSun 29-May-16 10:17 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2015
13 posts
#63702, "Informative posts help. "
In response to Reply #26

These don't.

SaagkriMon 30-May-16 12:37 AM
801 posts
#63704, "Since I doubt Umi will respond..."
In response to Reply #27

I don't care to know specifics if the IMMs are sure I cannot trigger it w/o running scripts. They would only be used to circumvent the code with more sophisticated scripts, so I get that.

That said, there's a reason people write scripts for this stuff. It's boring as watching grass grow after you've done it a few times. I struggle with the thought of OBS/EXP with every char I roll (I want edge points bad enough to go through it, though).

DoofTue 31-May-16 04:39 AM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#63717, "WTF? Three Y or N, questions, all answered. Why is th..."
In response to Reply #27

lurkerSun 05-Jun-16 01:55 PM
Member since 13th Mar 2006
249 posts
#63751, "He didn't type "No" three times"
In response to Reply #41

How dare he

incognitoFri 03-Jun-16 01:33 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63736, "RE: Informative posts help. "
In response to Reply #27

They do unless you are an idiot.

He's answered the question. He hasn't said "no, because our anti botting code checks for x" but then that wasn't what was asked.

SertiusSun 29-May-16 07:12 PM
Member since 17th Nov 2008
360 posts
#63696, "Are you watching non-followers?"
In response to Reply #0

I always find it cool if a random non-cabal IMM sees it fit to watch my char and interact with them even if it leads to a plague or a smite. If you can find the time to do that, that's be cool.

AarnSun 29-May-16 08:12 PM
566 posts
#63698, "RE: Are you watching non-followers?"
In response to Reply #21

I definitely like to do that, and Aarn the character has always had a bit of an affinity for Battle in particular.

That said, I do have to watch the Fort most of all, especially seeing how sparsely covered it has been recently. Hopefully that'll open up eventually.

BorkahdSun 29-May-16 06:48 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2009
187 posts
#63694, "RE: Ask Me Anything"
In response to Reply #0

1) If someone started a follower of yours but plays at times opposite what your Wizlist says, what advice would you have?
1a) Would it be possible?
1b) Could meetings be arranged if needed?

2) What general advice would you offer for following Aarn?

3) Are you the original Aarn?
3a) If so: What made you want to return?
3b) If not: Why did you choose Aarn?

-----------------
"My view of Borkahd IC"
If you anger him, he'll rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sew your skin into his clothing. And if you're very, very lucky, he'll do it in that order. ~Twist

AarnSun 29-May-16 08:08 PM
566 posts
#63697, "RE: Ask Me Anything"
In response to Reply #19

>1) If someone started a follower of yours but plays at times
>opposite what your Wizlist says, what advice would you have?
> 1a) Would it be possible?
> 1b) Could meetings be arranged if needed?

That's tough. I've had a lot of daytime availability, but that should mostly end this week when I start a new job. If you won't be around at all in the evenings, EST, I would say it'll be difficult but you can give it a go. Happy to try and work over email.

>2) What general advice would you offer for following Aarn?

So, Aarn's religion was planned deliberately to be an easy one to follow simply, and a hard one to follow at an elite level. In other words, I expect empowerment to be easy and tattooing to be hard.

The best advice I could give to someone who wants empowerment from me is to make sure you've thought your character through. If you can't tell me why you are the class you are, or why you want to join a certain cabal, and how your rage matters to all that, or what it looks like if you fail to follow the path you've set out, you'll struggle. All the elements that come with thinking your character through are what you need for empowerment - there's no special trick here. Read the helpfile and work it into a role.

But that same simpleness makes it hard to stand out.

>3) Are you the original Aarn?
> 3a) If so: What made you want to return?
> 3b) If not: Why did you choose Aarn?

All original. I always missed imm land and CF, so I was happy for an opportunity to get back.

BorkahdSun 29-May-16 08:48 PM
Member since 17th Mar 2009
187 posts
#63699, "RE: Ask Me Anything"
In response to Reply #22

I'm around some evenings, just not a ton. Usually pretty late (10-11 est).

Thanks for the answers!

-----------------
"My view of Borkahd IC"
If you anger him, he'll rape you to death, eat your flesh, and sew your skin into his clothing. And if you're very, very lucky, he'll do it in that order. ~Twist

tanoomi71Sun 29-May-16 04:59 PM
Member since 23rd Apr 2015
156 posts
#63683, "Using a tattoo"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 29-May-16 05:02 PM

How does one use their tattoo when they have earned it? I am not looking to learn the powers of tattoo's just want to know how one engages it when one is lucky enough to earn one.

AarnSun 29-May-16 05:18 PM
566 posts
#63687, "RE: Using a tattoo"
In response to Reply #8
Edited on Sun 29-May-16 05:18 PM

One auto prog in combat, and one "invoke aarn" prep prog with simple, self-explanatory effects.

Mostly good for melee classes. Sorry mages.

They're the original progs from ten years ago, since there wasn't really any reason to expend coding effort on changing them.

tanoomi71Sun 29-May-16 05:20 PM
156 posts
#63688, "RE: Using a tattoo"
In response to Reply #12

So "invoke (IMM)" is what one needs to say then for all tattoo's? I have never had one before and recently earned one but other then showing my characters devotion I was sure how to enhance it.

AarnSun 29-May-16 05:22 PM
566 posts
#63690, "RE: Using a tattoo"
In response to Reply #13

That's totally up to how the tattoo progs are designed. I do think "invoke <imm_name>" is a common setup though.

UmironSun 29-May-16 05:41 PM
1497 posts
#63691, "RE: Using a tattoo"
In response to Reply #13

"invoke <immortal name>" is somewhat idiomatic, but ultimately the answer is "it depends", and if it's not particularly obvious then consider it taboo to ask.

tanoomi71Sun 29-May-16 06:22 PM
156 posts
#63692, "RE: Using a tattoo"
In response to Reply #16

That why I figure I'd ask here since it does say ask anything.

UmironSun 29-May-16 06:35 PM
1497 posts
#63693, "*sigh* (nt)"
In response to Reply #17

asd

wareagleSun 29-May-16 04:46 PM
Member since 19th Aug 2007
201 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63678, "How Shokai-ish are you?"
In response to Reply #0

So we all know Shokai then Baerinika are like the Fort IMM Maran that is kill all evil with a vengeance.

How is Aarn on this spectrum? It's been a long time since I've played so I don't remember much of anything these days, but I thought I remembered that Aarn followers had similar philosphy, maybe not as extreme who knows.

I'm also asking this question because I think one reason the playerbase would be excited at Aarn return is that Fort doesn't have the Shokai or Baerinika afaik.

AarnSun 29-May-16 05:14 PM
566 posts
#63685, "RE: How Shokai-ish are you?"
In response to Reply #3

So, there's a bit of a conflict for Aarn here.

On the one hand, Aarn the individual used to be a Tara'bal, which is described in my shrine but is basically one of Shokai's servants.

On the other hand, my religion is alignment agnostic. In fact, I'll drop a hint for any evils who might be interested in following me: there's an evil tattooed mob hiding somewhere in my shrine. If you want to follow Aarn, the path most likely to simultaneously lead to success and not lead to ugly treatment at the hands of Aarn is to work your roleplay through that mob.

Did that answer your question, or were you wondering about something more specific? Keep in mind I was pretty absent for most of the last ten years since I left.

AarnSun 29-May-16 05:20 PM
566 posts
#63689, "Also..."
In response to Reply #10

Keep in mind that the Maran part of the Fort basically began as an extension Shokai's religion, similar to the Scarab cabal and Scarab's religion. Tara'bal for example are right out of his religious dogma.

So to some degree it's inextricable from Shokai, although it has certainly evolved since then. I'm not terribly familiar with what changes Baer made, so you would have to ask about specifics.

wareagleSun 29-May-16 07:04 PM
Member since 19th Aug 2007
201 posts
#63695, "Yep answered my question."
In response to Reply #14

Thanks and the evil hidden mob is very intriguing!

JohnEveryManSun 29-May-16 04:45 PM
Member since 25th Aug 2012
247 posts
#63677, "Biggest pet peeve for would be followers?"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Sent from my Iphone

AarnSun 29-May-16 04:57 PM
566 posts
#63681, "RE: Biggest pet peeve for would be followers?"
In response to Reply #2

Complaining, gloating and trash talking. It almost always borders on OOC, and it almost always feels like the player coming through, not the character.

It's remotely possible it could be well-RPd, but it would have to be in moderation. If you're annoying the person its directed at you're probably annoying the person listening in too.

So, don't do those things.

KstatidaSun 29-May-16 04:24 PM
2214 posts
#63676, "Maran criteria please?"
In response to Reply #0

Since the house owner has changed.

AarnSun 29-May-16 04:55 PM
566 posts
#63679, "RE: Maran criteria please?"
In response to Reply #1

It's not really hard and fast, in part because it's subjective by nature and in part because I'm not fully up on what's reasonable now days.

In general I would say I look at five areas:
-hours played since Squire
-weeks since Squire
-evil pk wins
-quality of play (both RP and just getting in there and getting dirty, even if it's dying)
-recommendations (like if other Maran/Acolytes/Leaders suggest it)

As a very loose benchmark, say four weeks for a character completely average at everything that stands out in no way but isn't bad in any category might be my goal. If you have four weeks under your belt and only 6 hours played, that's going to set you back. But if you have just two weeks as a Squire with 50 hours played, you might be in. Likewise being particularly good or particularly bad in any of the other categories may push that time frame around. Figure a week would be for an outstanding character.

There's also the problem of not being around at the same times I play to be watched. That's where, hopefully, recommendations from others come in. I give a lot of latitude to mortal leaders, so if the Captain or Marshall suggests you for Maran and I don't know something huge that they don't, you're probably in.

Aarn

p.s. Please note that I'm literally pushing these figures around off the top of my head, so try not to crucify me if it doesn't work out 100% of the time.

SaagkriSun 29-May-16 04:57 PM
801 posts
#63680, "Why can't IMMs post on Dio's? NT"
In response to Reply #1

AarnSun 29-May-16 04:58 PM
566 posts
#63682, "RE: Why can't IMMs post on Dio's? NT"
In response to Reply #5

Above my pay grade, sorry!

SaagkriSun 29-May-16 05:00 PM
801 posts
#63684, "Oh, and welcome back! NT"
In response to Reply #7

AarnSun 29-May-16 05:17 PM
566 posts
#63686, "On second thought..."
In response to Reply #7

I would speculate that it's for two reasons: one, because it's always been that way, and two, because there's a lot of vitriol on Dios and the imms don't want to spend all their time engaged in arguments that go nowhere.

This is really just my speculation though; it is above my pay grade.

UmironSun 29-May-16 10:25 PM
1497 posts
#63703, "RE: Why can't IMMs post on Dio's? NT"
In response to Reply #5

Disclaimer: I didn't write that rule and it's been around a lot longer than I have, but my two cents is:

We would prefer to contain our engagement with the community to a venue that isn't polluted with trolls, conspiracy theories, misinformation, etc. If/when players, especially newer ones, see posts by staff on a forum it's natural for them to assume that forum's contents in general represent the game and it's staff, which wouldn't be true on Dioxide's.

I can think of a handful of other less significant reasons as well that have to do with PR, security, etc., but I think the above is the crux of it.

Agree or disagree, it's probably not changing any time soon.

MurphyMon 30-May-16 02:05 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
#63705, "So in essence, you hate Dios and look down on it"
In response to Reply #28

and I disagree -- it does not represent the staff, but it definitely does represent the game, and the playerbase.

(Sometimes I wish it wasn't so.)

AarnMon 30-May-16 11:57 AM
566 posts
#63711, "RE: So in essence, you hate Dios and look down on it"
In response to Reply #30

This is a super great post that definitely won't negatively influence any imms on interacting with players outside of the game or, who knows, some day supporting posting on Dios.

But thanks for using my attempt at interacting with everyone to get it out there.

KstatidaTue 31-May-16 03:31 AM
2214 posts
#63716, "It's not about Dio's"
In response to Reply #30

It's you personally

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63675 Previous topic | Next topic