Subject: "April's Role Contest" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63578
Show all folders

JormyrWed 04-May-16 06:20 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63578, "April's Role Contest"

Just as a random aside, I decided to judge April's role contest a little differently than many often are. To me, roles serve two purposes. One, to give a base starting point for a character, which is how most people's roles are written up - whether by story, bullet points, or however means. Secondly, I've always felt that they should serve to detail character development or change. This is an area that for some characters never really has to change, but for others can be a huge difference.

With that in mind, I judged not on the quality of writing (and to be honest, my winners were not always the best at that), but in how their roles described how the characters moved forward over time. Certainly this hurt some contestants, and obviously helped others. Just seemed a good time to judge in that manner, compared to the oft-lamented rewarding of well-written stories. For those people, you've always got upcoming contests (which Luthantulas has already started his!)

Anyways, not that it's life and death, but I thought it'd be worth a headsup to the players, before everyone thinks I'm insane for my picks. Feel free to leave constructive feedback whether you liked or disliked my method.

- Jormyr

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BannedThu 05-May-16 02:30 AM
Member since 13th Apr 2016
23 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63594, "Thank you for that"
In response to Reply #0

Wish I know before, I'd enter. Next time I won't be shy, thinking it's pointless to compete with native speakers, and will participate. Hope others will follow your example and make RCs fair for foreigners.

Mercer (Anonymous)Wed 04-May-16 08:29 PM
Charter member
#63593, "RE: April's Role Contest"
In response to Reply #0

Wish I could have gotten initial role exp on my role so the next entries to fit your approach would have worked. I had like 12 entries for 50 hours and was waiting on that before I added more. It is hard to add more to something when it feels like no one has even looked at the first go-round.

I like your idea, but I was star-crossed on fitting it.

WelverinWed 04-May-16 07:47 PM
Member since 23rd Oct 2009
624 posts
#63587, "Great Idea"
In response to Reply #0

So... I like it when we branch out, and have different ideas for RC's . A couple of comments though... It would be really neat to know this stuff up front. It was done a few years ago, people would say "I'm judging this RC based on XYZ" so those of us who enter but don't meet XYZ can have a better idea of our chances. That being said it's also nice to be surprised too, so take this for what it's worth.

Now, other than strict RP reasons, like mentioned in your post, there really isn't much incentive to write a role past the requisite 1400 Role EXP anymore, so I imagine you're going to see fewer people doing it. I know i've been lax in mine for the last few, well all, of my characters since the edge point change went in. These kind of contests, advertised on a regular basis, or at regular intervals, might encourage that.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63578 Previous topic | Next topic