Subject: "Cabals" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63376
Show all folders

amazingdonnieFri 15-Apr-16 10:58 AM
Member since 19th Nov 2013
148 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63376, "Cabals"

I was wondering if the staff has any plans to shakeup/reform cabals. It seems to me with the declined player population that the number of cabals we have is too high. Less cabals would lead to more direct conflict I think, and larger scale battles. There would be of course negatives to less cabals, but i think ultimately the positives could outweigh the negatives.

On the other side of that I think bringing back some old cabals could see old players return simply for the nostalgic value etc.

Just more or less curious if the staff has any thoughts or plans on this subject.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Cabals, Umiron, 15-Apr-16 11:26 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Cabals, Saagkri, 16-Apr-16 07:57 AM, #2
     Reply Would different cabals, incognito, 16-Apr-16 10:10 AM, #4
          Reply It's like the fourth time you've mentioned it. We know...., Lhydia, 16-Apr-16 10:19 AM, #5
          Reply I didn't. I grant him 400 MortalXP for it. n/t, Saagkri, 16-Apr-16 11:25 AM, #6
          Reply Okay well -500 mortalxp next time I see it. n/t, Lhydia, 16-Apr-16 11:49 AM, #9
          Reply Because changing the other stuff won't help, incognito, 16-Apr-16 03:56 PM, #13
               Reply How would you change it. It's been that way since at l..., Vonzamir, 17-Apr-16 04:05 PM, #16
                    Reply RE: How would you change it. It's been that way since ..., incognito, 18-Apr-16 06:59 AM, #17
                         Reply RE: How would you change it. It's been that way since ..., Umiron, 18-Apr-16 07:56 PM, #18
                              Reply RE: How would you change it. It's been that way since ..., incognito, 20-Apr-16 01:28 AM, #19
          Reply RE: Would different cabals, Jaegendar, 16-Apr-16 04:32 PM, #14
               Reply That is how it should work, but mechanically it doesn't..., Lhydia, 16-Apr-16 04:56 PM, #15
     Reply I have a ####load of motivation that, for some reason, ..., Doof, 16-Apr-16 09:55 AM, #3
     Reply Forget about all your ideas. Steam is wht we really nee..., Shaapaa, 16-Apr-16 11:43 AM, #7
          Reply Don't you consistently full sac new players? n/t, Lhydia, 16-Apr-16 11:47 AM, #8
               Reply He is great to new players. He full sacs vets nt, Destuvius, 16-Apr-16 11:52 AM, #10
                    Reply Oh. Good to know., Lhydia, 16-Apr-16 01:00 PM, #11
                    Reply RE: He is great to new players. He full sacs vets nt, Demos, 16-Apr-16 01:40 PM, #12

UmironFri 15-Apr-16 11:26 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63377, "RE: Cabals"
In response to Reply #0

>I was wondering if the staff has any plans to shakeup/reform
>cabals. It seems to me with the declined player population
>that the number of cabals we have is too high. Less cabals
>would lead to more direct conflict I think, and larger scale
>battles. There would be of course negatives to less cabals,
>but i think ultimately the positives could outweigh the
>negatives.

Something like boils down to two things, mainly:

1) Do we have ideas for cabals that we think are better than the cabals we have now? So far, the answer to this is largely "no". This is particularly true relative to the past, where cabals (regardless of if they were more fun) had less depth, story, etc.

2) Do we have the resources to overhaul the code, areas, helpfiles, in-game lore, etc.? Likewise, we want to make sure we have active immortals who are interested in running those cabals as well (i.e., Scion is fine but nobody likes dealing with Scion players so we don't have it).

>On the other side of that I think bringing back some old
>cabals could see old players return simply for the nostalgic
>value etc.

The problem with nostalgia is that it's fleeting. The kind of player who would actually come back to playing CF again because of something like this probably isn't likely to actually stay very long.

>Just more or less curious if the staff has any thoughts or
>plans on this subject.

There was a relatively serious cabal related project that dried up last fall that I may or may not revisit. Beyond that, I have one other project I've been kicking around for a while that I'll probably move forward with eventually if I can get enough of the kinks worked out (and find the motivation).

tl;dr: eh, kinda.

SaagkriSat 16-Apr-16 07:57 AM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63379, "RE: Cabals"
In response to Reply #1

While the other reasons may be sufficient by themselves, I'd point out that anything that persuades someone to login is going to be a net benefit for the same reason the retail industry spends so much money trying to do exactly that.

More players = more fun for everyone and some % of those who login for nostalgia (or any other reason for that matter) are going to get hooked again.

As an example, if Tribunal was replaced by Arbiter, I could almost guarantee at least two 400+ hr chars you'd get from me alone.

The effect of every marketing effort is fleeting, that's why they have to be varied and frequent.

incognitoSat 16-Apr-16 10:10 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63381, "Would different cabals"
In response to Reply #2

Solve the problem if having a significant chunk of the playerbase log out whenever they are the underdog?

Generally my problem is not that there aren't enough people online. It's that they aren't in my pk if I get the upper hand. But they are often still playing.

I, on the other hand, might as well not be.

I've seen the same happen with other characters besides mine.

One thing I'm proudest of is actually not a pk, but staying on with lilyth hunting me constantly and eventually getting trapped. I fully expected that I was going to die and lose about 50 charges but I stayed because it would have been a bad move for the game to quit out just because things looked ####.

LhydiaSat 16-Apr-16 10:19 AM
2390 posts
#63382, "It's like the fourth time you've mentioned it. We know...."
In response to Reply #4

gr

SaagkriSat 16-Apr-16 11:25 AM
Member since 17th Jun 2014
801 posts
#63385, "I didn't. I grant him 400 MortalXP for it. n/t"
In response to Reply #5

LhydiaSat 16-Apr-16 11:49 AM
2390 posts
#63389, "Okay well -500 mortalxp next time I see it. n/t"
In response to Reply #6

gr

incognitoSat 16-Apr-16 03:56 PM
4495 posts
#63395, "Because changing the other stuff won't help"
In response to Reply #5

If selective logging is allowed to continue.

VonzamirSun 17-Apr-16 04:05 PM
Member since 07th Jun 2011
659 posts
#63408, "How would you change it. It's been that way since at l..."
In response to Reply #13

nt

incognitoMon 18-Apr-16 06:59 AM
4495 posts
#63411, "RE: How would you change it. It's been that way since ..."
In response to Reply #16

Used to me a minority whereas now seems like a majority, with more people conceding the case that it is acceptable.

I'd probably deal with it with a warning when I see what looks like a pattern of it, and a slay if it continues.

By pattern, I mean "x logs in, then out as soon as y logs in, then z logs in in another pk range" repeated.

Similarly in connection with retrieval edge point harvesting. If I see "A logs out when item about to be taken, then B, who can retrieve without opposition logs in, retrieves, logs out and B promptly returns..."

UmironMon 18-Apr-16 07:56 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63412, "RE: How would you change it. It's been that way since ..."
In response to Reply #17

For what it's worth, our observations (which include access to logs detailing every character's log in/outs) don't really match your assertions. I realize we can't always detect "shady logins", and likewise we certainly try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but nonetheless I'm inclined to believe you're seeing cheating where there is none at least some of the time.

incognitoWed 20-Apr-16 01:28 AM
4495 posts
#63417, "RE: How would you change it. It's been that way since ..."
In response to Reply #18

And yet, some people have admitted to me they did it (after accusing me of doing it).

Can't remember precisely who but iirc mhirnal was one such who told me he did it (not necessarily because of me).

Fact is, it is considered acceptable in the face of a threat by a big chunk of the playerbase. And it seems to be catching on.

Also, please don't confuse me asking you to watch for something to me saying something was going on. For example, someone asking when I'd be on so that they could get an interview and then not playing any applicant after I told them. I didn't say they were cheating. I just said I'd given them my times and since they promptly in deleted their char who was my main rival I'd appreciate you keeping an eye out. I completely agree that the player never misused the info though.

JaegendarSat 16-Apr-16 04:32 PM
Member since 30th May 2014
136 posts
#63396, "RE: Would different cabals"
In response to Reply #4

I have always thought that this was the reason nexus came to be.

Ohh you are the only forty against five imperials that have the orb?.

Grab some nexuns and go crazy at the palace.

-J

LhydiaSat 16-Apr-16 04:56 PM
2390 posts
#63398, "That is how it should work, but mechanically it doesn't..."
In response to Reply #14

gr

DoofSat 16-Apr-16 09:55 AM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
#63380, "I have a ####load of motivation that, for some reason, ..."
In response to Reply #1

ShaapaaSat 16-Apr-16 11:36 AM
Member since 05th Apr 2016
6 posts
#63387, "Forget about all your ideas. Steam is wht we really nee..."
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Sat 16-Apr-16 11:43 AM

I'm saying this as someone who is trying to play as often as he can. Not as someone who didn't play in a long time.

LhydiaSat 16-Apr-16 11:47 AM
2390 posts
#63388, "Don't you consistently full sac new players? n/t"
In response to Reply #7

gr

DestuviusSat 16-Apr-16 11:52 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#63391, "He is great to new players. He full sacs vets nt"
In response to Reply #8

nt

LhydiaSat 16-Apr-16 12:59 PM
2390 posts
#63393, "Oh. Good to know."
In response to Reply #10
Edited on Sat 16-Apr-16 01:00 PM

Sort of similar to me then except I don't sac unless threatened with it or it happens to me.

I only multikill vets...unless the newbie is just talking way too much smack.

DemosSat 16-Apr-16 01:40 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2003
211 posts
#63394, "RE: He is great to new players. He full sacs vets nt"
In response to Reply #10

Bahahahahahhaha. So sad. So true.
For me I mean.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #63376 Previous topic | Next topic