Subject: "HeroImm" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62864
Show all folders

KnacSun 06-Mar-16 11:18 AM
Member since 07th May 2010
202 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62864, "HeroImm"

Having once considered HeroImming and proceeded with the initial phases of the process (and honestly, had I the incentive / time, still under consideration), can you guys please provide the requirements for a HeroImm to advance to a full time staff? I'm sure you guys have it written down somewhere. Alternatively, if you prefer not to post it on the forum, I can provide my email address.

Thanks.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: HeroImm, Umiron, 07-Mar-16 10:19 PM, #6
Reply RE: HeroImm, Destuvius, 06-Mar-16 11:29 AM, #1
     Reply RE: HeroImm, Knac, 06-Mar-16 12:29 PM, #2
          Reply RE: HeroImm, Destuvius, 06-Mar-16 12:39 PM, #3
               Reply RE: HeroImm, TJHuron, 07-Mar-16 08:24 PM, #4
                    Reply RE: HeroImm, Destuvius, 07-Mar-16 08:29 PM, #5
                         Reply Even the first question? Nt, TJHuron, 07-Mar-16 11:23 PM, #7
                              Reply Unless things have drastically changed, Iunna, 07-Mar-16 11:43 PM, #8

UmironMon 07-Mar-16 10:19 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62881, "RE: HeroImm"
In response to Reply #0

The first two things a curious someone should review are HELP HERO and Valg's "FAQ: How to apply to the staff (updated 5/28/07)", which is anchored here in Gameplay. The helpfile is probably a bit dated these days, but it's generally accurate.

When someone applies to become a heroimm we document their intentions and eventually pull them aside for an interview. The only reason a person wouldn't make it this far is if they had recent rule violations or for some other extreme reason would simply never be considered (this has only happened once in my tenure). During the interview we learn more about the player and their background and do our best to communicate what the application process involves and what the expectations of a heroimm are. We also try to get a sense of how, big picture, the person is looking to contribute to CF and where their strengths/weaknesses fall. Lastly, we typically ask for a writing sample.

As a group, we review their interview and writing sample, discuss amongst ourselves, and vote. If we decide to invite someone onto the staff then they become a heroimm and start working on an area project proposal. That proposal goes through a feedback loop until it's approved. I like to think we're pretty liberal when it comes to these, but obviously we want area proposals that make thematic and geographical sense, represent good area design, have purpose (e.g., leveling, exploration, etc.), and so on and so fourth.

Once the proposal is approved the heroimm gets to work. From that point on it's largely upon the heroimm and their mentor to manage their own project, with the staff occasionally playing middle manager to make sure that it continues to look like the heroimm is making progress and that there's light at the end of the tunnel. Historically, we've erred on the side of being too lenient, if anything, with regards to slow progress and missed (often volunteered) deadlines, for what it's worth.

During this process it's also a heroimm's job to be available as they can be to man the newbie channel, assist new players, and help out with their cabal if they have one.

When a heroimm's area project is completed they work on a religion and ultimately become a "real" immortal and breathe a sigh of relief.

In my time as an immortal I've seen that entire process take anywhere from about a year to over three, depending on the time commitment and work ethic of the player. The average is probably a year and change.

In retrospect, I'd say this process has worked pretty well for us. If you exclude the folks who apply and then fizzle out almost immediately I'd say our pass rate is quite high, and even if you don't I'd say it's over 50%. In the context of something that, no matter what, involves asking adults to contribute their free time to doing work (for free) that can't always be pure fun, I think that's actually quite good.

So there's my two bits on that subject.

DestuviusSun 06-Mar-16 11:29 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62865, "RE: HeroImm"
In response to Reply #0

As it currently exists, here is the short version that does not take into account any of the variables that may or may not influence things along the way:

Complete an area (typically a rewrite) that is up to the (current) standard that we have for the MUD, and do so within a timely manner.

That is the primary, albeit not only, hurdle that exists and the one that trips up most people along the way.

KnacSun 06-Mar-16 12:29 PM
Member since 07th May 2010
202 posts
#62866, "RE: HeroImm"
In response to Reply #1

Thanks for the info. I thought that was about right based on my previous experience. On an average, how long do you think it takes to complete an area, and how long do heroimms have to complete the area? I realize that this accounts for possibly knowing new codes, submitting milestones, how much people are invested, etc. Just a ballpark figure would be great for both aspects.

DestuviusSun 06-Mar-16 12:39 PM
1012 posts
#62867, "RE: HeroImm"
In response to Reply #2

The timeline for writing varies greatly from person to person. For instance we have had some heroimms who failed to deliver even a partial area after 6 months. We have also had some heroimms who turned in a complete area within 3. Something to take into consideration as well is that you don't just need to do an area, but you need to do a quality area that is up to the standards presented.

Generally speaking, I think its pretty safe to assume that if someone becomes a heroimm that they are looking at a minimum of a year (and probably longer than that depending on how fast or slow they turn in their work) before they become a "real" immortal.

TJHuronMon 07-Mar-16 08:24 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62878, "RE: HeroImm"
In response to Reply #3

Is it true they cannot play morts?

Also, what do they do while logged in?

DestuviusMon 07-Mar-16 08:29 PM
1012 posts
#62880, "RE: HeroImm"
In response to Reply #4

This is getting into a bit more detail than I would rather go into on the forums now. Sorry.

TJHuronMon 07-Mar-16 11:23 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#62882, "Even the first question? Nt"
In response to Reply #5

Nt

IunnaMon 07-Mar-16 11:43 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
473 posts
#62883, "Unless things have drastically changed"
In response to Reply #7

No mortals for levels 51/52. The logic being that heroimmdom pales in comparison to playing a mort as far as maintaining interest. Playing a mortal during this timeframe inevitably ends up = giving up on being an IMM, and history has far and away supported this. It's only so much fun to work on that 97th ocean/forest/desert/mountain room and somehow make it different. You really have to be in it for the long haul.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62864 Previous topic | Next topic