Subject: "A Poll of sorts." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #6246
Show all folders

chessmasterSun 31-Oct-04 10:10 AM
Member since 18th Sep 2004
7 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6246, "A Poll of sorts."

Which do you think is the emphasis of CF? Roleplaying or Pkilling?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SplntrdSun 31-Oct-04 02:06 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6259, "RE: A Poll of sorts."
In response to Reply #0

It really depends on what "scene" you play in the game. Just like in reality, each scene has different perspective on Thera. There are of course the different cabal scenes, the thief scenes, the woodsy scenes, each religion, and on and on. Depending on "where" you play, you're going to get a different answer. Some scenes focus more on one than the other. BUT, isn't it odd that even in the PKing scenes, there is roleplay, but you can find RP without PK? Roleplay permeates every single aspect of the game. Sure, some players prefer to PK, prefer to powergame, and the game caters to them to some degree, but its environment is one founded upon roleplay. Even the simple fact that you are required to have a description before rank 10 supports this. It is also far more heavily rewarded than PK is. The Imms place the emphasis on RP. PK is simply a part of that RP.

Splntrd

chessmasterSun 31-Oct-04 10:11 AM
Member since 18th Sep 2004
7 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6247, "Pkilling."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 31-Oct-04 10:17 AM

I think it's terribly obvious that a lot of people are only
roleplaying what they have to so that they can continue, pkilling.
Either that or a lot of people share the same bloodthirsty
murderering role.

For instance, I've yet to meet a thief or assassin in range
who didn't take a shot at me. Not one. I think that this
has a lot to do with the fact that they can lag good and
hide.. so a lot of lowbie pkillers like that.

I also feel that there's a disproportionate lot of rat bastards
on CF. Group backstabbers, folks who covet gear, the neutral
flip-floppers who act chaotic evil, and of course the people who
attack you when you're decent enough to return gear to them.

ValguarneraSun 31-Oct-04 01:22 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6258, "RE: Pkilling."
In response to Reply #1

Wow. Some people don't take being banned well.

Some things never change. You have my email if you wish to chat.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

IsildurSun 31-Oct-04 04:14 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#6260, "RE: Pkilling."
In response to Reply #1

>I think it's terribly obvious that a lot of people are only
>roleplaying what they have to so that they can continue,
>pkilling.

I'd agree with this. Though, often that level of role-play is sufficient. Some of the people who operate under this premise turn out to be some of the best-loved characters. Others obviously don't.

>For instance, I've yet to meet a thief or assassin in range
>who didn't take a shot at me.

While this statement might be technically true, i.e. you've really never met such a person, I'm almost sure they exist. One reason I say that is because I've -played- such thieves and assassins, but also because I've met them with other characters I've played.

>I think that this
>has a lot to do with the fact that they can lag good and
>hide.. so a lot of lowbie pkillers like that.

To the extent that it happens, yes, it's probably motivated in part by some of the really "no-brainer" situations that thieves/assassins can stumble across at low levels. You're just wandering around Galadon, hidden, and see this guy word back to his pit. You go over to check him out and he's convulsing. To trip or not to trip? In some cases (opposite alignments) this is a no-brainer. For others it becomes more of a conundrum. Do I want to make an enemy out of this person? Do they even have anything I might want? Is there any benefit to -not- killing this person? Etc.

>I also feel that there's a disproportionate lot of rat
>bastards
>on CF.

Carrion Fields has its fair share, like any game, but I'm not convinced they're disproportionately prevalent. I used to play Hearts on Yahoo alot. It always amazed me how many immature, vindictive cheaters I would come across.

>Group backstabbers, folks who covet gear, the neutral
>flip-floppers who act chaotic evil, and of course the people
>who
>attack you when you're decent enough to return gear to them.

I'm not sure I'd lump all these categories of person together. Double-crossers always struck me as particularly lame, along with the "I'm neutral so I can avoid wrath, protection from evil and templar's vigilance" crowd, but I generally don't mind gear-coveters and people who attack you when you return their gear.

If someone is dumb enough to expect that, after having killed me, I will refrain from attacking when they make themselves vulnerable in order to return my gear...then they deserve whatever they get.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #6246 Previous topic | Next topic