Subject: "Paladin's 'divine retribution'" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62118
Show all folders

Imperial (Anonymous)Sun 03-Jan-16 08:18 AM
Charter member
#62118, "Paladin's 'divine retribution'"

Is this supposed to be able to potentially kill lowbies out of range?

If it is, fine but seems a bit off to me.

Lowbie attacks maran and maledicts etc, flees nearly dead. Domond or other paladin communes the divine retribution and you are, even at distance, damaged enough to kill if suitable hurt.

If it is a design then fine I will flee with more hps but most powers in the game seem not to be designed to kill lowbies when you are a hero.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Retributive Curing , crsweeney, 05-Jan-16 11:42 AM, #7
Reply RE: Paladin's 'divine retribution', Umiron, 04-Jan-16 03:36 PM, #2
Reply There's precedent to the contrary, incognito, 05-Jan-16 04:16 AM, #3
Reply Don't maledict anything would be a pretty easy defense...., Lhydia, 05-Jan-16 07:23 AM, #4
Reply It would mean never ever using your maladictions, incognito, 05-Jan-16 03:13 PM, #9
Reply RE: There's precedent to the contrary, Umiron, 05-Jan-16 10:46 AM, #6
Reply Wasn't a bug, incognito, 05-Jan-16 03:12 PM, #8
     Reply Whatever., Umiron, 05-Jan-16 03:18 PM, #10
Reply very different scenario than a standard class ability, crsweeney, 05-Jan-16 03:57 PM, #11
Reply What does a death in this scenario count as?, Homard, 05-Jan-16 08:07 AM, #5
Reply By design per old IMMs.., Lhydia, 03-Jan-16 09:28 AM, #1

crsweeneyTue 05-Jan-16 11:40 AM
Member since 17th Apr 2013
202 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62156, "Retributive Curing "
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Tue 05-Jan-16 11:42 AM

Judging from the description, the OP is actually asking about the Retributive Curing ability granted by the Retribution Virtue. I think it is important to note this as the paladin cannot directly control this it is an automatic effect of lay on hands and a fairly weak power at that.

Divine Retribution is direct damage spell and if I recall correctly it is cast directly on the enemy target, it does increasing damage to a foe based on the number of good creatures it has killed. I'd assume Divine Retribution would not work out of level, but when I had it I never actually tried to use it on someone I couldn't PK.

UmironMon 04-Jan-16 03:36 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62147, "RE: Paladin's 'divine retribution'"
In response to Reply #0

I don't have a problem with this. There are a small handful of abilities that allow higher level characters to significantly interfere with and/or harm lower, out of range characters and I'm fine with that.

incognitoTue 05-Jan-16 04:16 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62152, "There's precedent to the contrary"
In response to Reply #2

I got rotd'd for using an oblander devil to kill a lowbie that was mouthing off to me.

And he could have avoided that death. Then oblander devils got changed so it couldn't be done. And that was to a guy who had been rping as if my hero was insignificant to his lowbie.

Divine retribution doesn't necessarily allow any defense. The paladin doesn't even have to be logged on when the maladictions are placed.

LhydiaTue 05-Jan-16 07:23 AM
2390 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62153, "Don't maledict anything would be a pretty easy defense...."
In response to Reply #3

gr

incognitoTue 05-Jan-16 03:13 PM
4495 posts
#62158, "It would mean never ever using your maladictions"
In response to Reply #4

Or at least never being hurt badly after using them.

UmironTue 05-Jan-16 10:46 AM
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62155, "RE: There's precedent to the contrary"
In response to Reply #3

I'm not hip to that incident, but to me this reads like you found a bug and an Immortal asked you to knock it off and subsequently fixed it.

Anyway, I'm still fine with Divine Retribution, at least for now. If every Paladin had it, I might be more concerned, but that isn't the case.

incognitoTue 05-Jan-16 03:12 PM
4495 posts
#62157, "Wasn't a bug"
In response to Reply #6

He just didn't like that I was able to kill someone outside of my pk.

UmironTue 05-Jan-16 03:18 PM
1497 posts
#62159, "Whatever."
In response to Reply #8

Bug, unintended behavior or change of mind, it doesn't really matter. If they asked you to stop then that's that, and if it changed as a result then it's likely that aspect of the ability was never intended, even if it was an oversight.

It's really not no bearing whatsoever on this topic anyway. We don't need a precedent (or absence of one) to decide an ability should or shouldn't work a certain way.

crsweeneyTue 05-Jan-16 03:57 PM
Member since 17th Apr 2013
202 posts
#62161, "very different scenario than a standard class ability"
In response to Reply #3

Clarify here as you may be reading the divine retribution helpfile and thinking the paladin can cast this spell like a shaman eye for an eye, divine vengeance etc. and do so out of level.

The OP was posting about retributive curing an ability tied to only one virture, which only works with lay on hands. The person who catches the "divine retribution" effect had to have done damage/maladecitions to a good creature, which it was possible for the paladin to heal, and the paladin made the dispel/cure check to do so.

Fairly restrictive scenario in which this ability works. On a 3 hour+ cool down, from only (an imm controlled) subset of players of a class.

HomardTue 05-Jan-16 08:07 AM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#62154, "What does a death in this scenario count as?"
In response to Reply #2

I'm assuming it's not a PK for the paladin.

LhydiaSun 03-Jan-16 09:28 AM
2390 posts
#62119, "By design per old IMMs.."
In response to Reply #0

But all that stuff doesn't seem to be safe from change anymore. Ha.

I sort of like it how it is, especially now that outer guardians are useless.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #62118 Previous topic | Next topic