Subject: "Wilderness Familiarity Discussion" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61801
Show all folders

WarrenWed 02-Dec-15 12:01 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2012
396 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61801, "Wilderness Familiarity Discussion"

The basic premise of this is:

You spend X% (Lets say 80% for arguments sake - regardless of what it is) of your time in a wilderness area (I know that some areas are neither wilderness, or civilized, but lets leave that out of this conversation), you will be at home in the wilderness, and get all the perks that such a designation permits.

So, in theory, I present two rangers:

(1) Ranger 1 is a level 20 ranger with 20 hours of playtime, who has spent 16 hours of that playtime in the Forest of Nowhere ranking. This ranger has all the abilities and perks that being "at home" would permit.

(2) Ranger 2 is a level 51 ranger with 500 hours of playtime, who has spent 380 of those hours in the wilderness, but 120 of those hours in civilized areas. This ranger has none of the abilities and perks that being "at home" would permit.

I would argue that Ranger 2, who has 380 hours of in wilderness experience, should be MORE at home than Ranger 1, who has 16 hours of wilderness experience. This is currently not the case.

Additionally, the "cost" for Ranger 2 to make up the differential is onerous compared to the "cost" for Ranger 1. Thus, being a longer lived character has a negative consequence to the character's development (beyond the obvious consequences of aging).

Not to mention the insane roleplaying implications of being a old ass ranger who spent 380 hours in the woods, but still isn't "at home" has.

I submit that a very small change could eliminate the nonsense of a ranger being 400 hours old, but because they spent 120 of those hours in civilized areas, they are not at home in the wilds - notwithstanding the fact that they still have over 200 hours of playtime in the wilds.

This change is:

Once your wilderness familiarity character reaches over 200 (or 300, or whatever) hours of wilderness time, they are always at home in the woods,

or

Reduce the amount of wilderness time required in order for a ranger to be at home in direct relation to how many hours the character has, e.g., a ranger with 500 hours needs 50%, a ranger with 400 hours needs 60%, a ranger with 300 hours needs 70%, and so on.

Thanks!

Discuss.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

UmironWed 02-Dec-15 12:33 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61802, "RE: Wilderness Familiarity Discussion"
In response to Reply #0

I'd rather focus on things that are relevant to more than 2-3 characters (depending on whether we go with your example of 200 hours of 300) on the whole MUD, 2/3 of whom are still well into "at home" territory.

Even so, I think the crux of the change is silly and would be very unhappy if we ever did this.

WarrenWed 02-Dec-15 12:51 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2012
396 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61803, "RE: Wilderness Familiarity Discussion"
In response to Reply #1

To be clear, I don't have a horse in this race. I will note that in the past, you _have_ focused on things that are relevant to as little as _1_ character, but I digress.

Thanks for your feedback.

UmironWed 02-Dec-15 01:27 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61804, "RE: Wilderness Familiarity Discussion"
In response to Reply #2

>To be clear, I don't have a horse in this race. I will note
>that in the past, you _have_ focused on things that are
>relevant to as little as _1_ character, but I digress.

It's good to be king, I guess.

>
>Thanks for your feedback.

You're welcome.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61801 Previous topic | Next topic