Subject: "PSA: Thank you, Imms" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61733
Show all folders

SertiusSat 21-Nov-15 01:04 AM
Member since 17th Nov 2008
360 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61733, "PSA: Thank you, Imms"

Important disclaimer: I'm not an imm, don't know anyone who's an imm, and am not part of any circle. My chars, however, usually have enough imm xp to get to Silent. I have accomplished absolutely nothing CF-wise in my 20-odd years playing (off and on).

I think an important point is lost on most people who complain loudly about anything and everything: Imms are volunteers who do real work (for you) for free. Now, sometimes (always?) they don't/won't do what you want, but it's not their fault. You can't make people who work for free to do stuff for you specifically. If you're inclined to have a pay-for-service model, there are multiple outlets for that. CF is simply not for you as you will never be satisfied.

Now, I can only present my limited view as a player for many years, but here's a brief outline for you to achieve unique goals in CF or at least have fun trying:

1) Don't be an ass. No one likes the full-looting mouthy douche. I can't stress that enough. If you just have one breakdown, chances are, that was the moment your patron imm happened to watch you, just because of the way the universe works. No, he will never watch you again. He'll watch Netflix instead. That immteraction you were preparing for 200 hours? Gone in the wind. Don't be an ass.

2) Set realistic IC expectations. Yes, there was a goodie necro. Yes, there is a gnome bard right now. Chances are, those players have exceptional roles and/or had to jump through significant hoops to get there. Probably even character-crippling hoops. If you're not RP-first kind of person, this route is not for you. This is not immspiracy of any kind, these are people who decide that CF will be more fun with more RP in it. That is not what most people would look for.

3) Set realistic OOC expectations. If it's absolutely vital for your role to work that you reach, say, Shokai in your prayers, but you know he's Dormant or absent on the Wizlist, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I have prayed for Shokai myself for like forever, I think the most I got was a vague title. Good thing was that I didn't depend on any immteraction to still have fun. If you play in the hours when an imm you want is not, tough luck. Chances are, you won't get the interaction you want. Don't ask me how I know.

4) Empowerment and immteraction in general is usually basic luck. If you spend over 50 hours/2+ RL weeks on a char and you're not having fun and it's not going anywhere, delete delete and try again with something else. If you cannot accept that, just roll an orc and bash.

5) Induct can vary wildly based on a leader. For the current examples, battle and nexus are basically auto-induct, while scarab is very difficult to get into. If you cannot accept that, just roll an orc and bash.

6) I find that by playing my char and expecting nothing in rewards I get something now and again by sheer luck. Now, I have a tendency to Not Be an Ass and that maybe plays a small part, but expecting nothing usually leads to very postivie experience.

7) I also find that if I do want something that's not coming fast (empowerment, immteraction, etc) but find something else to occupy my time, the wanted thing comes around eventually. Not all the time, mind you, but chances are, it will find you when you least expect it.

Thank you, all the volunteers who make this game possible! Don't let the vocal minority get you down.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I have getting some of late, laxman, 24-Nov-15 06:22 PM, #7
Reply RE: PSA: Thank you, Imms, Isildur, 24-Nov-15 05:07 PM, #6
Reply RE: PSA: Thank you, Imms, Umiron, 24-Nov-15 06:24 PM, #8
     Reply I don't disagree...., Tac, 24-Nov-15 09:07 PM, #9
Reply RE: PSA: Thank you, Imms, Bemused, 24-Nov-15 05:48 AM, #1
     Reply Ditto, incognito, 24-Nov-15 10:11 AM, #2
          Reply IMHO, that's my favorite part of CF., TMNS, 24-Nov-15 11:22 AM, #3
          Reply RE: IMHO, that's my favorite part of CF., Jormyr, 24-Nov-15 02:56 PM, #5
               Reply Mwuahahaha. It's better than accidentally snooping som..., TMNS, 25-Nov-15 12:02 AM, #10
                    Reply I was under the impression it doesn't get better than t..., Onewingedangel, 25-Nov-15 06:26 PM, #11
          Reply Unexpected immteraction is always awesome, Kstatida, 24-Nov-15 11:46 AM, #4

laxmanTue 24-Nov-15 06:22 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#61771, "I have getting some of late"
In response to Reply #0

Even though I keep putting off adding my role I have had at least one imm interact with me on a few occasions and it has been great. They have done a great job of pushing me within the role that will eventually make its way to paper.

IsildurTue 24-Nov-15 05:07 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61770, "RE: PSA: Thank you, Imms"
In response to Reply #0

Agree.

Basically:

1. Set realistic goals,
2. Do the stuff you're supposed to do, including playing your role, but
3. Don't be an ass to other players.

If #2 forces you to violate #3 then you're doing it wrong. IMO its possible to be an arrogant, delusional, lying, cheating indiscriminate killer and still not be an ass to other players.

UmironTue 24-Nov-15 06:24 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61772, "RE: PSA: Thank you, Imms"
In response to Reply #6

>Agree.
>
>Basically:
>
>1. Set realistic goals,
>2. Do the stuff you're supposed to do, including playing your
>role, but
>3. Don't be an ass to other players.
>
>If #2 forces you to violate #3 then you're doing it wrong.
>IMO its possible to be an arrogant, delusional, lying,
>cheating indiscriminate killer and still not be an ass to
>other players.

This. Any kind of behavior can be "justified" via the right role, but players still decide what role to write and how exactly to play it out and that makes them responsible for the impact they have on other players even if their crappy behavior is "valid" RP.

TacTue 24-Nov-15 09:07 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
#61773, "I don't disagree...."
In response to Reply #8

And generally speaking I'll play those roles in preference. But some people just want to watch the world burn, no?

I mean it is hard to be a properly hated unless you are an ass IC and that can easily be kind of a #### OOC as well. So long as it is clear that it is IC and not OOC, and the people isn't a raging hypocrite (i.e. full-looting douche who rage deletes when they eat a full-loot) I'm cool with someone being a real jerk.

BemusedTue 24-Nov-15 05:48 AM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
665 posts
#61765, "RE: PSA: Thank you, Imms"
In response to Reply #0

I'm never one to seek Immteraction but I've had a bunch of random encounters with various Imms or Imms taking the form of NPCs lately. I have to say that the short 5 minute encounters really do wonders to immersing yourself in character and the realm itself.

It could just be dumb luck on my part or perhaps a concerted effort by the staff but, either way, it's pretty darn cool.

+1

incognitoTue 24-Nov-15 10:11 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61766, "Ditto"
In response to Reply #1

Only one mob but it was still fun.

TMNSTue 24-Nov-15 11:22 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#61767, "IMHO, that's my favorite part of CF."
In response to Reply #2

Whenever an IMM pops into a mob, I totally get a RP semi-chub, both literally and figuratively.

JormyrTue 24-Nov-15 02:56 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#61769, "RE: IMHO, that's my favorite part of CF."
In response to Reply #3

>Whenever an IMM pops into a mob, I totally get a RP
>semi-chub, both literally and figuratively.

I am now somewhat afraid to randomly Immteract for fear of
TMNS getting excited on the other end. Fortunately, it
probably won't stop me, but that thought's going to haunt
me every time I go to Immteract.

*shudder*

TMNSWed 25-Nov-15 12:02 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#61774, "Mwuahahaha. It's better than accidentally snooping som..."
In response to Reply #5

NT

OnewingedangelWed 25-Nov-15 06:26 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
#61775, "I was under the impression it doesn't get better than t..."
In response to Reply #10

KstatidaTue 24-Nov-15 11:46 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61768, "Unexpected immteraction is always awesome"
In response to Reply #2

My short experience with it was lifechanging for character and my gaming experience for sure. It's not that hard to susprise me of course, but I appreciated it a lot anyway

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61733 Previous topic | Next topic