Subject: "Option on char creation re:interaction" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61579
Show all folders

ArtificialSat 14-Nov-15 12:11 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61579, "Option on char creation re:interaction"

I am one of those people that would be perfectly happy having an imm set my main stat down to 3 to test me, kill me, give me the painless flaw, do anything they want in the name of RP.

There are others that never want to have an imm even look at their character, as evidenced by the other thread.

Can we perhaps get a question during character creation that is basically:

On a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being never even look at me, and 100 being do whatever you want to my char, how willing are you to have immortal intervention in your char's life?

I would appreciate this immensely.

But even if this is not implemented, would the imms like it if I said something along those lines in each of my char's roles? That is, indicating they can do whatever they want to me without complaint?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I see where you're coming from..., Onewingedangel, 16-Nov-15 10:28 PM, #8
Reply RE: Option on char creation re:interaction, Umiron, 16-Nov-15 01:04 PM, #6
Reply RE: Option on char creation re:interaction, Isildur, 14-Nov-15 11:01 AM, #4
Reply My thoughts, Destuvius, 14-Nov-15 06:36 AM, #2
Reply Yes but that only sets a minimum bar, Artificial, 14-Nov-15 10:36 AM, #3
Reply I've definitely thrown that stuff into roles., TMNS, 14-Nov-15 12:24 AM, #1
     Reply I do this as well with my characters., Akresius, 16-Nov-15 12:56 PM, #5
          Reply This should be inserted into help role, Kstatida, 16-Nov-15 01:31 PM, #7
          Reply I really need to get on that follower of yours I promis..., TMNS, 16-Nov-15 10:36 PM, #9

OnewingedangelMon 16-Nov-15 10:28 PM
Member since 22nd Jul 2009
447 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61678, "I see where you're coming from..."
In response to Reply #0

It would be neat, but it's just as easy to put an extra chapter in your role describing what you're willing to take as far as RP goes.

I like your idea, but in my opinion they're already doing a bunch of good things, and this addition would honestly be minimal at best. There is other things that might be better suited to the time that could be spent on it.

UmironMon 16-Nov-15 01:04 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61646, "RE: Option on char creation re:interaction"
In response to Reply #0

I'll add this:

There is plenty a player can do to signal that they want interaction and provide us with the information and context we need. Likewise, there are plenty of tells that a player isn't interested. Having said that, no character is ever exempt from RP.

If someone has no role and gives us no reason to interaction with them they may very well get their wish, but that doesn't mean they can do or say whatever they want in-character and expect the world and its inhabitants not to react, even if that is the most likely outcome.

In general though I think it's easy enough for us to tell who is excited about this stuff and who isn't. I don't really want to have to deal with the crap people will try and give us when we use a NPC to respond to their ####ty behavior and they think it's unfair because they asked for 1/100 RP.

IsildurSat 14-Nov-15 11:01 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#61608, "RE: Option on char creation re:interaction"
In response to Reply #0

Something I've tried to do is write "open" roles. That is, there's some "unknown" in the character's life and I invite the staff to "fill in the gaps" however they see fit.

Like, maybe my character's brother ran away from home as a teenager and I joined the academy and became an adventurer so I could find him. Where is he now? What happened to him? I don't know. But a deity might.

DestuviusSat 14-Nov-15 06:36 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#61596, "My thoughts"
In response to Reply #0

If you join a cabal, you automatically invite yourself into interactions, whether you want them or not.

If you write a role, you are setting yourself up to have interactions because thats what a role essentially does: guides us in ways to interact with your character beyond the cabal.

If you want no interactions from imms, do not have a role and do not join a cabal.

ArtificialSat 14-Nov-15 10:36 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#61607, "Yes but that only sets a minimum bar"
In response to Reply #2

If I join a cabal, I am volunteering for something like a 20 (on the previous scale), because while some interaction is expected, you don't want to overstep and make them delete.

I want to have an option to say I volunteer for that bar and 5x more, if you want, and I won't complain.

TMNSSat 14-Nov-15 12:24 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#61581, "I've definitely thrown that stuff into roles."
In response to Reply #0

"Ghrimriddor's Role Chapter 6"

Role

Chapter 6

Some thoughts (OOC)
Added Fri Dec 31 18:12:27 2010 at level 25:
First off, trying to keep him as dynamic and flexible as possible.
Second, basically he is a goodie first (at the moment) and
Battlerager second. If this means I get kicked out of
Battle, I am fine with that. Rolled the character with the
intention of following Thror and that's about it. However, I
will say if I continue as a Battlerager, I fully expect to be turned
neutral at some point.

Other thoughts are Ghrimriddor was rolled to be fearless and
cocky to the point of zealous devotion to strength. Any time
he is unable to do something because of limitations in power
are meant to upset him. However, this is not condusive to a
caballed environment where you are disadvantaged
because you destroy morale, so I'll be trying to
roleplay his growing need to temper himself in such situations.

AkresiusMon 16-Nov-15 12:56 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2011
280 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61645, "I do this as well with my characters."
In response to Reply #1

As an IMM, this is probably the most useful thing for me to reference _when deciding on an interaction_. It is preferable to wading through 13 chapters of backstory.

KstatidaMon 16-Nov-15 01:31 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61647, "This should be inserted into help role"
In response to Reply #5

Up to this moment, I was only going OOC in my roles for the purpose of explaining things I could not do IC. Making a brief OOC character summary has never come to my mind, the info is scattered through the chapters - too much of a chore to grasp.

TMNSMon 16-Nov-15 10:36 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#61679, "I really need to get on that follower of yours I promis..."
In response to Reply #5

...might be a non-sphere guy though! ####. Might have to roll a new character...

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61579 Previous topic | Next topic