Subject: "IDEA: shapeshifter skill: "transform"" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61217
Show all folders

IsildurWed 28-Oct-15 01:37 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61217, "IDEA: shapeshifter skill: "transform""

I don't see this as something that's badly needed (or that people would even use outside of very situational conditions) but I was bored while eating lunch so sue me.

"Transform" is basically the bigger brother of "shapeshift". Whereas the shapeshift skill represents the mage temporarily taking the form of a creature, the transform skill represents a more complete transformation. This has advantages and disadvantages.

Level available: 51

Mana cost: super high, e.g. in the range of 600; this also applies to "reverting" when transformed.

Lag: super high, on par with ranger's "imbue weapon"; also applies to reverting when transformed.

Cooldown: longish; say 24 hours

Additional restrictions:

a. Need a certain % in the "shapeshift" skill to unlock "transform",
b. Can only transform into a shape one is completely comfortable with,
c. Can only transform when in human form; can't transform from one shape into another,
d. Can't transform (or revert when transformed) when adrenaline is high from a PK encounter.

Advantages when transformed:

a. Zero mana cost to remain in form; you gain mana as if unshifted,
b. Slightly enhanced form performance (dodging, damage, etc.),
c. Running out of mana when affected by "forget" doesn't kill you,
d. OPTIONAL: Mobs of the same "type" (e.g. canine, feline, etc.) won't attack the "transformed" mage because they see him as being of their own kind,
d. OPTIONAL: access to special skills that can only be used when "transformed" into a shape as opposed to "shapeshifted".

Disadvantages when transformed:

a. Can't use mob healers; whatever voodoo lets shapeshifted shifters to pay a healer when in form is beyond the grasp of the mage who has completely transformed into a shape.

b. High mana cost and lag associated with reverting mean you can't easily revert to zap yourself with a/s/b, cast word of recall or teleport, quaff potions, speak to people, get food/water to eat/drink, etc. Also means you can't swap between forms as the situation dictates.

An alternate to the cool-down and high mana cost on revert: make reverting from a "transformed" form cause the mage to suffer a "forget" like effect for a long-ish (~12 hours) period of time after reverting. Conceptually this would represent the time needed for him to reacquaint himself with his humanoid form (and stuff like "casting spells") after having been "completely transformed" into an animal for some period of time.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

-flsoThu 29-Oct-15 08:11 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61242, "No more Isildur ideas, please"
In response to Reply #0

All I see here is complexity for what? Making shapeshifters even more spread out?
As if there wasn't enough there to begin with.

If there are class changes to be seen, let's see them affect classes that haven't been
messed with in ages.

IsildurThu 29-Oct-15 09:07 PM
5969 posts
#61243, "RE: No more Isildur ideas, please"
In response to Reply #3

Nothing I proposed seems all that complex. What does "even more spread out" mean?

Yes, there are tons of shifters right now. I blame the special Halloween forms. And I use "blame" here in a totally non-negative sense. Anything that draws more people to the game is great.

Once the special forms thing peters out I expect shifter numbers to go back to normal.

This idea came out of me wondering how things would change if ragers weren't the only ones who had to run off on foot. A "transformed" shifter would be without magical tansportation. He'd be buff, but he'd have to act like a rager in terms of getting away when a fight goes south.

SarienFri 30-Oct-15 02:57 PM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
#61244, "Hey now - he had a great idea about a certain ring..."
In response to Reply #3

No wait - that idea did not turn out well either

DallevianWed 28-Oct-15 08:39 PM
1639 posts
#61222, "u wot mate?? nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

IsildurWed 28-Oct-15 09:04 PM
5969 posts
#61223, "RE: u wot mate?? nt"
In response to Reply #1

TL;DR version: You get to finally BE the Dragon.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61217 Previous topic | Next topic