Subject: "Why would an IP get banned without any explination?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61163
Show all folders

HazleSun 25-Oct-15 09:53 PM
Member since 25th Oct 2015
6 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61163, "Why would an IP get banned without any explination?"

Kind of curious as to why I would be playing one moment and all of the sudden my site is baned? No explanation or anything.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

UmironSun 25-Oct-15 10:00 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61164, "RE: Why would an IP get banned without any explination?"
In response to Reply #0

The MUD has some automatic anti-spamming features, though they're pretty tough to accidentally set off unless you have a rogue trigger or something like that going.

Feel free to contact imps@carrionfields.com to discuss.

HazleSun 25-Oct-15 10:02 PM
Member since 25th Oct 2015
6 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61165, "RE: Why would an IP get banned without any explination?"
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Sun 25-Oct-15 10:04 PM

Possibly what happened. I mistyped sac cloak for say cloak 10 times real fast and then got kicked

And an email was sent

IsildurMon 26-Oct-15 12:45 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#61174, "RE: Why would an IP get banned without any explination?"
In response to Reply #2

You got email?

-flsoMon 26-Oct-15 12:26 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
#61173, "May I suggest that these auto-site-ban features be rewo..."
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Mon 26-Oct-15 12:30 PM

As someone who got sitebanned recently due to something similar (since resolved thanks to Umiron), it seems to me that the threshold is set way too low.

People will be affected by this and maybe not everyone (esp new players just checking the mud out) will go the email route.

You could change the auto sitebans to be time-based (say a couple of hours or a day even) or increase whatever thresholds you have set. A better response to the player before you drop the connection would be nice too. Currently, all the player sees is "You are denied access!" <CONNECTION DROPS>

Then if he reconnects: "You site has been banned from this mud"
Maybe change the denied access message to indicate the reason (command spam) and give out an email for them to reach out to. That way they know it was done automatically and won't assume they got punished by administrators/immortals.

I assume these features got introduced due to recent abuse since I'm fairly certain they weren't present in this form in the past. Sucks that some fools have to spoil it for the rest of us.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61163 Previous topic | Next topic