Subject: "So what do you think happened?" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61105
Show all folders

badboyFri 23-Oct-15 11:34 AM
Member since 24th Nov 2008
177 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61105, "So what do you think happened?"

I just deleted Bocang, a chaotic duergar warrior of rank 19th.
Reason for deletion: there is a -500 imm XP in my "score exp".
I have no idea why there is a -500 imm XP and I need your help
in determining the cause and to bring awareness to the fellow
players what kind of poison there is in the game coming from
unknown imm(s).

I am at 16 hours at rank 19th, this is what I didn't do:

I didn't kill anyone
I didn't loot anyone
I didn't talk OOC to anyone, or being disrespecful to anyone (the only bad encounter I have was an imperial shaman who talk #### to me because he couldn't kill me, I just ignore it)
I don't have any affiliations with any cabals
and I didn't write a role

This is what I have been purely doing with the character:

I have been solo ranking and practicing weapons.
From rank 1 to 12 I do quests and rank at various places like the Galadon Graveyard killing goodies, the Voralion city killing commoners and harlots.
From about 12 to 19th I kill zombies and the mobs in the Crypt under Arkham, while practicing weapons.

So today when I logged in I notice the -500 immXP, what do you
think I did that deserve that big negative immXP? I did reflect
upon my character and saw no wrong doing whatsoever. There
were no warning or no title changes that come with doing
something wrong. Who wants to play with that kind of poison in the
game?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: So what do you think happened?, Umiron, 22-Oct-15 01:18 PM, #1
     Reply RE: So what do you think happened?, badboy, 22-Oct-15 01:24 PM, #2
     Reply Not sure why they would bother, incognito, 22-Oct-15 01:29 PM, #3
     Reply RE: So what do you think happened?, Umiron, 22-Oct-15 01:36 PM, #4
          Reply Is there someone speding time reading PBFs for old desc..., Vonzamir, 22-Oct-15 03:47 PM, #5
          Reply No. (nt), Umiron, 22-Oct-15 04:18 PM, #6
          Reply RE: So what do you think happened?, Iunna, 23-Oct-15 01:32 AM, #7
               Reply It really annoys me, incognito, 23-Oct-15 02:17 AM, #8
               Reply +1 nt, Artificial, 23-Oct-15 07:11 AM, #11
               Reply Agree to disagree. Leaving it at that. (nt), Umiron, 23-Oct-15 06:47 AM, #9
               Reply Quick note., Umiron, 23-Oct-15 07:08 AM, #10
                    Reply Don't you know how OCD our players are?, Murphy, 23-Oct-15 07:58 PM, #17
                         Reply Obviously.., Raltevio, 24-Oct-15 07:35 AM, #21
               Reply Full-Jerry- I lol'ed. +1, Warren, 23-Oct-15 05:15 PM, #16
     Reply I thought I read not too long ago that if the character..., KoeKhaos, 23-Oct-15 10:55 AM, #13
          Reply Just make sure.., Lhydia, 23-Oct-15 11:18 AM, #12
          Reply RE: I thought I read not too long ago that if the chara..., Umiron, 23-Oct-15 11:37 AM, #14
          Reply This post by Destuvius is specifically what I am talkin..., KoeKhaos, 24-Oct-15 06:12 AM, #18
               Reply Actually, You posted also..., KoeKhaos, 24-Oct-15 07:23 AM, #20
                    Reply Selective reading on your part, incognito, 24-Oct-15 07:51 AM, #22
                         Reply You're really that concerned about someone reusing a ro..., KoeKhaos, 24-Oct-15 11:53 AM, #24
                              Reply RE: You're really that concerned about someone reusing ..., Destuvius, 24-Oct-15 12:58 PM, #25
                              Reply RE: You're really that concerned about someone reusing ..., incognito, 24-Oct-15 01:17 PM, #26
                                   Reply What?, KoeKhaos, 24-Oct-15 03:40 PM, #27
                                        Reply Yeah, I thought you were the original poster, incognito, 24-Oct-15 04:32 PM, #28
                                             Reply RE: Yeah, I thought you were the original poster, badboy, 24-Oct-15 08:39 PM, #29
                                                  Reply But here's the thing, incognito, 24-Oct-15 09:17 PM, #30
                                                       Reply RE: But here's the thing, badboy, 24-Oct-15 09:49 PM, #31
                                                            Reply It's not recently added, incognito, 25-Oct-15 12:22 AM, #32
                                                            Reply RE: But here's the thing, Jormyr, 25-Oct-15 03:32 AM, #33
                                                                 Reply Yes please., jalbrin, 25-Oct-15 05:15 AM, #34
                                                                      Reply Somebody should create an app, Theerkla, 25-Oct-15 06:53 AM, #35
          Reply RE: I thought I read not too long ago that if the chara..., Kstatida, 23-Oct-15 12:06 PM, #15
               Reply RE: I thought I read not too long ago that if the chara..., KoeKhaos, 24-Oct-15 06:16 AM, #19
                    Reply RE: I thought I read not too long ago that if the chara..., Umiron, 24-Oct-15 08:04 AM, #23

UmironThu 22-Oct-15 01:18 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61106, "RE: So what do you think happened?"
In response to Reply #0

I think that around 09:45 (system time) on 10/21 you were docked XP and sent an echo explaining why. You apparently missed the echo, but that's on you.

Relevant helpfile:

HELP DESCRIPTION
Your description should be your own work unique to this character. Reusing
previous descriptions, even if your own, is against the rules
. Descriptions
found to be the same (or obviously similar) to previous characters'
descriptions will not be tolerated.

badboyThu 22-Oct-15 01:24 PM
177 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61107, "RE: So what do you think happened?"
In response to Reply #1

I see, thanks for the clarification.
Though obviously the description was okay otherwise I would be pull into the ROTD for a change in description, since that description is not allow, is that right?

incognitoThu 22-Oct-15 01:29 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61108, "Not sure why they would bother"
In response to Reply #2

Since they probably expected you to see the echo.

UmironThu 22-Oct-15 01:36 PM
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61109, "RE: So what do you think happened?"
In response to Reply #2

I'm the one who docked you XP.

In the past we've pulled people into the Description Room to deal with this, but lately I've begun to prefer just doling out some punishment and moving on. Well over half the time I ask people to rewrite their description in front of me they end up losing their #### and/or deleting, if not immediately, once they actually lose XP and that's just a waste of my time. So my preference lately has been to simply dock XP, make the person aware of why, and leave them to fix their description on their own time. It's that or drop people in a room they can't leave and just walk away, which may mean hours (or more) spent in there with nothing else to do and no way out.

If you knew you weren't supposed to recycle/steal descriptions, then in the future you should just follow the rules. If you did not, in the future I suggest you be more patient and give us more than one very brief opportunity to respond to a pray before you delete and jump to conclusions on multiple forums. Nobody with the ability to tell you what happened was around when you prayed, but had you tried a couple more times (or even better, written a note or email), you would have gotten your answer via a far more appropriate medium.

VonzamirThu 22-Oct-15 03:47 PM
Member since 07th Jun 2011
659 posts
#61111, "Is there someone speding time reading PBFs for old desc..."
In response to Reply #4

NT

UmironThu 22-Oct-15 04:18 PM
1497 posts
#61114, "No. (nt)"
In response to Reply #5

asd

IunnaFri 23-Oct-15 01:31 AM
473 posts
#61115, "RE: So what do you think happened?"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Fri 23-Oct-15 01:32 AM

Dude, you're great and everything, but I'm gonna have to disagree on this one.

Given how hard it is to get IMM XP, I think this is a terrible way of doing things. I think it's ####ty people do this and you have to deal with it, but I don't think the correct response is to be equally ####ty in kind. It's a description. It's not like he's going full-Jerry. Would he have gotten XP returned if he'd approached it differently and re-written an original description after the fact?

incognitoFri 23-Oct-15 02:17 AM
4495 posts
#61116, "It really annoys me"
In response to Reply #7

When someone knowingly breaks a rule they could easily have observed, and then people whine about the punishment.

He could have avoided all negative effects by observing the rule.

He chose not to. So he loses all right to complain in my eyes.

ArtificialFri 23-Oct-15 07:11 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#61123, "+1 nt"
In response to Reply #8

nt

UmironFri 23-Oct-15 06:47 AM
1497 posts
#61121, "Agree to disagree. Leaving it at that. (nt)"
In response to Reply #7

nt

UmironFri 23-Oct-15 07:08 AM
1497 posts
#61122, "Quick note."
In response to Reply #9

The XP he lost was "equal" to roughly one bottom shelf, dirt cheap edge. This would've had a relatively low impact on his character, especially later in life.

MurphyFri 23-Oct-15 07:58 PM
Member since 30th Dec 2010
1639 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61130, "Don't you know how OCD our players are?"
In response to Reply #10

I would've deleted right over that, too.

RaltevioSat 24-Oct-15 07:33 AM
Member since 07th Jul 2015
134 posts
#61135, "Obviously.."
In response to Reply #17
Edited on Sat 24-Oct-15 07:35 AM

not OCD enough to take 10 minutes to write an original description (or even take 5 to adjust a previously used one.)

Regardless of whether people think this is an onerous punishment or not, the guy must have known there was a chance he'd get dinged for it.

I will hereby reiterate/make an appeal to players: There is no way of the staff knowing if your recyled role is yours, or is copy/pasted from someone else's material. So please guys, just take 10 and write something appropriate. Good descs get Xp more often than. That's easy XP for 10-15 minutes of your time, and it avoids a lot of drama on both ends.

WarrenFri 23-Oct-15 05:15 PM
Member since 17th Dec 2012
396 posts
#61129, "Full-Jerry- I lol'ed. +1"
In response to Reply #7

nt

KoeKhaosFri 23-Oct-15 11:34 AM
400 posts
#61124, "I thought I read not too long ago that if the character..."
In response to Reply #1

that it was ok. IE, you made a character with role/desc but deleted or autoed before level 30, or let's just even say still in the teens, that they would let that go since no one knew it yet. I actually did that recently because I had a role I wanted to play a long time ago that I put a lot of work into but ended up autoing due to not being able to play before even hitting level 20 or joining a cabal. Now I'm worried I'll get an auto -immexp which you say is bottom end edge tier, but I have a shifter right now almost level 50 with no edge choices who's gotten thousands of obs/explore exp and no edges because no role exp, whereas when I get roleexp I always end up with a good list of edges by 35 or 40.

LhydiaFri 23-Oct-15 11:18 AM
2390 posts
#61125, "Just make sure.."
In response to Reply #13

..that the desc isn't from a published PBF. I'm pretty sure that is what they get pissed about is people who steal other people's descriptions from there.

UmironFri 23-Oct-15 11:37 AM
1497 posts
#61127, "RE: I thought I read not too long ago that if the chara..."
In response to Reply #13

The rule is don't re-use or steal descriptions or roles. That is the expectation.

If you're not going to follow the rule, then definitely don't break it by using a description that we're likely to find or a role that has already been rated.

If you're concerned about game play stuff (e.g., edges) then playing it safe and following the rules seems like a winning strategy. It's within your power to never, ever get docked XP for this.

KoeKhaosSat 24-Oct-15 06:12 AM
400 posts
#61132, "This post by Destuvius is specifically what I am talkin..."
In response to Reply #14

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=57912&mesg_id=57913&page=

Considering I spent a few hours making a role that I really liked and never got a chance to use, beyond entering it with the role command and getting a couple lesvels. No rolecontest, no RP, no cabal, no level 20, etc... I assumed reusing one, with the same name even, would be ok. Do you actually have an app that goes through a database of all characters, including under level 20s to make sure they don't reuse? I'm kinda surprised you are being so aggressive towards me over this question since I was going off previous Imm information as stated...

KoeKhaosSat 24-Oct-15 07:23 AM
400 posts
#61134, "Actually, You posted also..."
In response to Reply #18

That if it made the battlefield you would enforce a change. This is specifically what I asked about due to my current role being one no one ever saw or experienced.

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=57912&mesg_id=57923&page=

incognitoSat 24-Oct-15 07:51 AM
4495 posts
#61136, "Selective reading on your part"
In response to Reply #20

He does say that if your role is recognised you'll likely get dinged.

Everything else is just about how likely it is to be recognised, not how likely you are to get dinged if it is recognised.

KoeKhaosSat 24-Oct-15 11:53 AM
400 posts
#61138, "You're really that concerned about someone reusing a ro..."
In response to Reply #22
Edited on Sat 24-Oct-15 11:53 AM

When that person spent hours making it but ended up autoing that low level because of real life? When this role was never used and no one got to know the character? Why so petty? This really makes me not want to play again and I just came back because of all the good things people were saying about Umiron and the game state and such.

DestuviusSat 24-Oct-15 12:58 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
#61139, "RE: You're really that concerned about someone reusing ..."
In response to Reply #24

You are really over thinking this whole entire process. If you want to play, play. If you don't want to play, then don't. If you are more concerned about min/maxing your character than playing the role you want to play, you are setting yourself up for failure.

incognitoSat 24-Oct-15 01:14 PM
4495 posts
#61140, "RE: You're really that concerned about someone reusing ..."
In response to Reply #24
Edited on Sat 24-Oct-15 01:17 PM

Unless I personally recognise your role, which I might if it was good, it won't bother me.

My gripe is you pretending or deluding yourself into thinking that umiron said it was fine to do.

He clearly didn't say that.

So you took a risk by doing it. Why not just take 5 mins and wrote a new role? Then you won't feel hard done by.

Now cut the ####. You are trying to imply it was never used when in fact it was. If it had never been used it couldn't have been reused. And when you came to the forum for "help", why did you leave out the reuse of your description? If it meant so much to you that you had to reuse it, you would have remembered it.

KoeKhaosSat 24-Oct-15 03:40 PM
400 posts
#61141, "What?"
In response to Reply #26

What are you talking about? I came to the forum for help? I'm a bit lost here. I only asked a question in response to what got posted to the OP here... Are you confusing me with the OP? Nothing has happened to me, I've never had -immexp. I simply asked a question. Wow...

incognitoSat 24-Oct-15 04:32 PM
4495 posts
#61142, "Yeah, I thought you were the original poster"
In response to Reply #27

My mistake, sorry.

The original poster is who I'm annoyed by.

badboySat 24-Oct-15 08:39 PM
177 posts
#61143, "RE: Yeah, I thought you were the original poster"
In response to Reply #28

I don't know why you would get annoy by a post that is not attacking you. You probably would have done the same as me in one way or another. I have been playing this game for a while and we are not all saints here, but we are all adults. Being docked -500immXP for a description to me is a stiff penalty, that is why I didn't think it was because of my description thus I responded. I am guessing it was not one of his best day that day. Yes I did reuse one of my many descriptions that I have written and I got heavily punished for it. An old description gives a player zero advantage over any other players; I would hate to see the kind of penalty you would get when some of you happen to stray from that road.

incognitoSat 24-Oct-15 09:12 PM
4495 posts
#61144, "But here's the thing"
In response to Reply #29
Edited on Sat 24-Oct-15 09:17 PM

You can't accidentally stray, and you run the risk of someone recognising it. If recognised it can ruin immersion just as much as someone going ooc.

It's just lazy which is why most players just write a new one.

When I see reused descs I don't pray about it because while it does spoil my experience a bit, it's not game breaking. But if you choose to do it you lose the right to complain no matter how bad the punishment is. Why? Because you took a decision about how much it was ok to do something that others might object to, so when you are punished you are just getting the same; you're on the receiving end of someone taking a decision about how much it is ok for them to do something you might object to. The difference is, you were given the option of avoiding it and the rest of us aren't.

It's like taking a piss on someone's shop floor and then complaining being made to clean toilets for a year as punishment is unfair. You took the decision. You don't also get to decide what's a fair punishment because presumably it would be one that still makes what you did worthwhile. That's why you did it in the first place. Having a harsh punishment might actually dissuade you. It's not like you had to do it to feed your family.

badboySat 24-Oct-15 09:49 PM
177 posts
#61145, "RE: But here's the thing"
In response to Reply #30

It is true that I broke the description rule that seemed to be recently added. However, I do have a valid reason to respond because while I might/might not deserve this penalty, another person who come and do the same thing as I did might not get that same penalty - given no clear guidelines of what the punishments are for breaking that rule. Take it what you will but you are right, it does dissuaded me from investing time in a character for fear this would happen again, even though I can still probably kick ass with a handicap edge points but I don't like it.

incognitoSun 25-Oct-15 12:19 AM
4495 posts
#61146, "It's not recently added"
In response to Reply #31
Edited on Sun 25-Oct-15 12:22 AM

Just recently punished. And when it wasn't punished those who broke the rule didn't stop.

No one else will be hit by the punishment if they don't break the rule. It's not complicated and it isn't at all difficult to observe the rule.

The fact is, you could get hit with any punishment. So could anyone else who does it. Solution: they shouldn't do it.

JormyrSun 25-Oct-15 03:32 AM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
422 posts
#61148, "RE: But here's the thing"
In response to Reply #31

Eh, it's not a new rule, nor is the punishment. I've been part of having caught, punishment, and description fixing for a number of these. Hell, this is the post otherwise referred to that's nearly a year old now.

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=57604&mesg_id=57604&listing_type=search

Ignoring the argument of whether the penalty is deserved, the penalty has been applied equally to everyone I've ever come across. -500 exp. That's the punishment, that's what I've seen everyone get hit with. As to being dissuaded from investing time into a character...yes, that's your choice. I'd just suggest if you should invest in a character, invest enough to create a description unique to said character, and this entire thread becomes unnecessary. It's a small thing, but it does add value to the character both for those around, and your own envisionment of playing them.

As an aside...I'm one of the first to admit I *HATED* writing descriptions for years. However, after writing a whole area's worth of descriptions, years of characters, and helping out various characters in the description room, I've developed a reasonable method to getting anyone a workable description. Would players find a basic template/guide/tutorial on making up a reasonable description useful? If so, I'll gladly post my method.

jalbrinSun 25-Oct-15 05:15 AM
Member since 20th Apr 2009
211 posts
#61149, "Yes please."
In response to Reply #33

I recognize their need but hate writing them. A guide to make it as painless as possible would be nice.

TheerklaSun 25-Oct-15 06:53 AM
1055 posts
#61150, "Somebody should create an app"
In response to Reply #34

Fill in height, weight, gender, race, salient details to accent (a piece of jewelry, facial markings, that kind of thing), hit generate, get a unique description.

KstatidaFri 23-Oct-15 12:06 PM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61128, "RE: I thought I read not too long ago that if the chara..."
In response to Reply #13

"almost level 50 with no edge choices who's gotten thousands of obs/explore exp and no edges because no role exp"

Unless those "thousands" are 1k/1k, this doesn't sound true. 5/10 alone gives you an expensive edge+.

KoeKhaosSat 24-Oct-15 06:16 AM
400 posts
#61133, "RE: I thought I read not too long ago that if the chara..."
In response to Reply #15

I have over 5k explore exp, over 7k observation exp, over 65k quest xp, and over 2k commerce xp right now. With 500 role exp I would have a #### ton of edges. Right now I have just the basic five human ones available, nothing else really. Maybe I am underestimating the changes from obs/exp exp a while back...

UmironSat 24-Oct-15 08:04 AM
1497 posts
#61137, "RE: I thought I read not too long ago that if the chara..."
In response to Reply #19

I wouldn't expect your character to have a lot of edge points available to them, especially at a low level. You might want to have a look at HELP EDGEPOINT SPECIFICS to better understand why.

For what it's worth, you wouldn't have fared significantly better under the "old way" with those numbers.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #61105 Previous topic | Next topic