Subject: "Skills practice/learning and ranking" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #60922
Show all folders

TacSat 10-Oct-15 06:32 PM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60922, "Skills practice/learning and ranking"

Emboldened by Umi's recent merc change, I'm going to suggest something related to skill practice (sort of) that will hopefully make this less of a burden.

One reason I practice (and thus solo-rank) is that for many skills, even 75% is simply unacceptable. There is (in many cases) a double whammy in failure rates that make it much worse that you might otherwise think. For instance, with a weapon skill like sword, not only do you straight up miss ~25% of the time (*) but even when you hit, you do 75% of the damage you would do at 100%. Throw in parry being directly related to skill % and you are triply punished.

Another decent example is flurry. At 75% you can (and will) fail completely at even attempting a flurry. You also (I believe) have a higher change of a 2-4 hit flurry instead of the higher end, so even if you don't fail outright, you might only do 2 hits (or whatever).

Spells that have a save are much the same. 25% change of failing the cast, and then the save chance is calculated off your base skill %, much like flurry hit number starts with flurry skill %.

What I would suggest is to remove the double whammies (where they exist) on skills and spells. A 75% spell should have the same chance of success (on a successful cast) as a 100% spell. You already run the risk of simply failing the cast.

I don't believe all spells or skills are this way, but I certainly suspect a good number punish you doubly, or even moreso for not having the skill/spell % at 100.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

incognitoTue 13-Oct-15 07:39 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60962, "Are you sure about your facts?"
In response to Reply #0

Because I don't feel like I flat out miss anywhere near to 25 percent of the time with a weapon I have at 75 percent. Missing that often, to me, implies inadequate hitroll relative to the enemy's ac.

I also don't feel that I only do 75 percent of the damage on a hit. I agree it is less but it is really that much less? There's logic to what you say but I've just never felt that gimped.

Of more significance to me, is that I won't parry said weapon as well.

laxmanSat 10-Oct-15 08:23 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#60927, "Skill spam isn't that great"
In response to Reply #0

I just put up 15 kills with all not even 75% skills. More then my last three higher int much higher skill practiced chars combined.

Not failing is cool but the battlefield is chaos, so many factors go into things that I just say stop focusing on the numbers and just keep mixing it up until the magic happens.

UmironSat 10-Oct-15 07:23 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60926, "RE: Skills practice/learning and ranking"
In response to Reply #0

I have no idea what you're saying, but I'll try.

There are certainly skills like flurry, for example, use your skill both to determine whether you succeed at all and how many times you hit. There are also a LOT of skills that don't, and merely affects your odds of passing a dice roll to determine whether you succeed in using the skill or not.

I'm not really interested in changing that, at all.

Beyond landing a flurry or not, if getting a X number hit flurry as often as statistically possible is an imperative for you, then some skill practice is the proposition we've out for you.

LhydiaSat 10-Oct-15 07:08 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2390 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60924, "...wut? n/t"
In response to Reply #0

gr

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #60922 Previous topic | Next topic