Subject: "(Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #60914
Show all folders

UmironSat 10-Oct-15 11:09 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60914, "(Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates"
Edited on Sat 10-Oct-15 11:11 AM

First and foremost: this is a pilot program that currently only applies to the mercenaries for sale in Galadon. And again, only after NCR.

Going forward, certain mercenaries will count as as a "groupmate" for the purpose of calculating experience. This means that, for example, a group of 2 PCs and 1 NPC merc is equal to a group of three PCs. Likewise, 3 + 1 would equal four and thus be a bad thing.

You'll know if a merc counts as a "groupmate" if you see an asterisk when you check your group:

Umiron's group:
< NPC an arial mercenary *> 100% hp 100% mana 100% mv 0 xp
<58 Con> Umiron 100% hp 100% mana 100% mv 1800 xp

A couple things to note:
- For the purpose of XP calculation a mercenary is effectively the level of its master, not its own level.
- This functionality should always work as if you simply had one more PC in the group so bear that in mind before asking questions or for clarification.
- It should be impossible to have two mercs anyway, but in case someone were somehow able to get more than one, the code will only ever give you the benefit of the first mercenary.

I plan to observe how this plays out, hunt down any bugs, etc., and then roll it out to more mercenaries.

That's it for now.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Nice one! nt, Marcus_, 29-Apr-16 04:40 AM, #21
Reply RE: (Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates, Jinaeloa (Anonymous), 12-Oct-15 08:20 PM, #14
Reply I like it. This is fantastic news. n/t, Doof, 11-Oct-15 06:10 AM, #
Reply I like it. This is fantastic news. n/t, Doof, 11-Oct-15 06:10 AM, #7
Reply Hey Battle Imms, TJHuron, 10-Oct-15 05:11 PM, #6
Reply As of right now, no change., Jormyr, 11-Oct-15 02:02 PM, #8
Reply Worth noting, incognito, 11-Oct-15 02:11 PM, #9
     Reply You don't have to argue with them if they've already ag..., Lhydia, 11-Oct-15 02:15 PM, #10
     Reply RE: Worth noting, Isildur, 11-Oct-15 07:11 PM, #11
Reply You have your cake. You can't eat it. Buahaha. n/t, Doof, 12-Oct-15 11:44 AM, #13
Reply follow up question, Dallevian, 10-Oct-15 12:35 PM, #4
Reply RE: follow up question, Umiron, 10-Oct-15 01:28 PM, #5
Reply thanks for considering. nt, Dallevian, 13-Oct-15 02:28 PM, #15
Reply Could you reconsider?, Dallevian, 28-Apr-16 03:05 PM, #16
     Reply RE: Could you reconsider?, Umiron, 28-Apr-16 04:34 PM, #17
          Reply allow me to expand on that some, Dallevian, 28-Apr-16 04:59 PM, #18
               Reply RE: allow me to expand on that some, Umiron, 28-Apr-16 05:28 PM, #19
                    Reply a fair assessment, Dallevian, 28-Apr-16 06:38 PM, #20
Reply RE: follow up question, Akresius, 12-Oct-15 09:43 AM, #12
Reply RE: (Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates, amazingdonnie, 10-Oct-15 11:20 AM, #1
     Reply RE: (Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates, Umiron, 10-Oct-15 11:24 AM, #2
          Reply RE: (Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates, amazingdonnie, 10-Oct-15 12:08 PM, #3

Marcus_Fri 29-Apr-16 04:40 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
681 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#63479, "Nice one! nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Jinaeloa (Anonymous)Mon 12-Oct-15 08:20 PM
Charter member
#60948, "RE: (Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates"
In response to Reply #0

Not sure if its a bug or what but if the mercenary gets the kill, then you are given much less experience

DoofSun 11-Oct-15 06:10 AM
Member since 03rd Dec 2009
200 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60929, "I like it. This is fantastic news. n/t"

DoofSun 11-Oct-15 06:10 AM
200 posts
#60930, "I like it. This is fantastic news. n/t"
In response to Reply #0

TJHuronSat 10-Oct-15 05:11 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60921, "Hey Battle Imms"
In response to Reply #0

Just curious if this new change will have any effect on the battle policy toward mercs.

JormyrSun 11-Oct-15 02:02 PM
Member since 31st Dec 2014
419 posts
#60931, "As of right now, no change."
In response to Reply #6

The thought was always more about Rager pride. Self-sufficiency and such, as why do the greatest fighters in the land need hired help?

We haven't really discussed any changes, but I personally don't see why it would make a difference towards that. It's a roleplay policy with ragers, to which nothing has changed. The mercenary change is purely mechanical.

incognitoSun 11-Oct-15 02:11 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60932, "Worth noting"
In response to Reply #8
Edited on Sun 11-Oct-15 02:11 PM

That if ragers have the head their powers are great for ranking.

Most other cabal powers are not. At least, not enough to help significantly with solo ranking.

Arguably elite blade powers too.

LhydiaSun 11-Oct-15 02:15 PM
2379 posts
#60933, "You don't have to argue with them if they've already ag..."
In response to Reply #9

gr

IsildurSun 11-Oct-15 07:11 PM
5969 posts
#60934, "RE: Worth noting"
In response to Reply #9

Perma-protection vs. alignment isn't nothing. Though, obviously it's not resist and deathblow.

DoofMon 12-Oct-15 11:44 AM
200 posts
#60937, "You have your cake. You can't eat it. Buahaha. n/t"
In response to Reply #6

DallevianSat 10-Oct-15 12:35 PM
1618 posts
#60918, "follow up question"
In response to Reply #0

Great stuff as always, you're a cool beans dungeon master.

Question is:

What about class based NPCs, could you look into at REMOVING the penalty of having them? Maybe not a bonus for those but at least not a penalty. This could include things like:

A necromancer's golem or zombie
Ranger bears or charmed pet
Ranger spirit guardian
Shaman demon (aren't they in group? haven't had one, not sure of mechanics)
Orc slave
Goblin mount
Druid treant or call of the wild

Thanks Umiron.

UmironSat 10-Oct-15 01:28 PM
1495 posts
#60919, "RE: follow up question"
In response to Reply #4

I'd rather not.

Some of these don't make a huge difference and some of them make mowing down mobs quite a bit easier. If we went down this route it probably wouldn't be a blanket rule but instead a "some do, don't don't" approach that would ultimately be confusing.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility forever, but for now I'd like to avoid this. Particularly since I just made a pretty sweeping change to grouping and leveling.

DallevianTue 13-Oct-15 02:28 PM
1618 posts
#60958, "thanks for considering. nt"
In response to Reply #5

nt

DallevianThu 28-Apr-16 03:05 PM
1618 posts
#63474, "Could you reconsider?"
In response to Reply #5

I've made a few attempts at getting back in to CF and it's just so tough finding a role-approved groupmate on at similar times. I've had days where I just sit with the window open for half an hour waiting for someone to log in.

*begs*

UmironThu 28-Apr-16 04:34 PM
1495 posts
#63475, "RE: Could you reconsider?"
In response to Reply #16

Based on what you've written, I really don't believe that having your NPC groupmates count as "real" groupmates is going to be the thing that suddenly makes the game genuinely enjoyable for you if it isn't currently.

DallevianThu 28-Apr-16 04:59 PM
1618 posts
#63476, "allow me to expand on that some"
In response to Reply #17

the game is very enjoyable. i love trying out new builds and different angles on new builds.

but there is a time wall to this. i cannot play at home and stick to 'expanded' lunch hours to be online. being able to cut 25% to 40% of the time it takes to try out an idea from levels 1-40 or even at hero would be pretty huge to me. being able to grab a rank or two a session when forced to do it solo? awesome. but doing half a rank a day is a lot less enticing.

i almost always miss out on the double exp because of hours and inability to do much on the weekend. even with double exp, that only goes so far solo.

**i say solo because that's just the way the cookie seems to crumble. i like to play against the grain which means there's generally no band-wagon to hop on board.

thus, npc groupmates as real groupmates really does make the game genuinely more enjoyable.

UmironThu 28-Apr-16 05:28 PM
1495 posts
#63477, "RE: allow me to expand on that some"
In response to Reply #18

You like to play against the grain (fewer allies) and you like to start over a lot (try not builds), but you also have very limited time to play both in the specific times of day you can be play and for how long.

I'm not trying to tell you how you feel or assert what will be fun for you, but it sure does seem like you're sort of setting yourself up for disappointment and still maintain that having your fire elemental count as a groupmate while some mob beats your mage butt isn't the difference between the status quo and a CF that fulfills your expectations given the approach you've described.

As an side, bear in mind that the way it's coded now, you'd only ever get credit for one pseudo-groupmate. If we counted ALL NPCs, you'd get hosed the other way around because even with the XP bonus someone like a conjurer or necromancer would be splitting the it between too large of a group.

And FWIW, we've had two double XP bonuses in the past two months that spanned "lunch time" (CST). I have no idea what timezone you're in, but if it's not close to that then hopefully you've been hitting the late night / early AM bonuses I try to schedule from time to time as well.

DallevianThu 28-Apr-16 06:38 PM
1618 posts
#63478, "a fair assessment"
In response to Reply #19

yes, i like the under-the-radar, against-the-grain, short to medium lifespan characters.

yes, 1 mob as a bonus would be splendid. honestly, at this point, i'd even take 1 or 2 mobs giving no bonus but also not taking away EXP such as necro with a golem and zombie or orc with a frost giant mob. the boost would be icing on a cake i want to eat so badly

and yes, i think having too many mobs in your group should neuter the EXP.

and conjurer isn't impacted because servitors are outside the group...

p.s., no i have not been able to participate in any of the double exp bonuses. i usually try to check twitter to see if they're live but i don't think all of them get twitter notification. central timezone.

anyway, thanks for considering, hopefully you guys can noodle on it a bit.

AkresiusMon 12-Oct-15 09:43 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2011
280 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60936, "RE: follow up question"
In response to Reply #4

>Shaman demon (aren't they in group? haven't had one, not sure
>of mechanics)

Demons brought forth via Demonic Summons are not part of a group.

amazingdonnieSat 10-Oct-15 11:20 AM
Member since 19th Nov 2013
148 posts
#60915, "RE: (Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates"
In response to Reply #0

This sounds like a really good idea. I'm interested to see how it plays out and if new higher level mercs are added and become more common. Great idea.

UmironSat 10-Oct-15 11:24 AM
1495 posts
#60916, "RE: (Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates"
In response to Reply #1

It's unlikely you'll see significant better mercenaries as a result of this change, with perhaps the exception of special mercs that refuse to fight against PCs. I could probably get behind that.

amazingdonnieSat 10-Oct-15 12:08 PM
Member since 19th Nov 2013
148 posts
#60917, "RE: (Coming NCR) Mercenary Groupmates"
In response to Reply #2

Sure, that'd be fine. I'm thinking more in the sense of a defensive shield using merc for an offensive shapeshifter, or dagger spec thief for a shield paladin etc.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #60914 Previous topic | Next topic