Subject: "Blanket statement for the masses" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #60804
Show all folders

DestuviusFri 02-Oct-15 05:10 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2013
1012 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60804, "Blanket statement for the masses"

If you cannot handle getting a demotion, regardless of whether you agree with it or not, you shouldn't play Empire.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Awesome., Srokmat (Anonymous), 06-Oct-15 03:51 PM, #17
Reply RE: Awesome., Isildur, 06-Oct-15 05:46 PM, #18
     Reply This. (nt), Umiron, 06-Oct-15 06:17 PM, #19
     Reply Lets say this is true. What I said is still true. NT, Srokmat (Anonymous), 06-Oct-15 06:41 PM, #20
          Reply Then keep it IC. (nt), Umiron, 06-Oct-15 06:48 PM, #21
               Reply With respect sir/mam..., Srokmat (Anonymous), 06-Oct-15 07:11 PM, #22
                    Reply Wow Dude, man the #### up., TMNS, 06-Oct-15 09:42 PM, #23
                         Reply ...screamed the kettle. n/t, Lhydia, 07-Oct-15 04:50 AM, #24
                              Reply But my char is only 3 years old., TMNS, 07-Oct-15 01:57 PM, #25
Reply RE: Blanket statement for the masses, Isildur, 02-Oct-15 07:11 AM, #1
     Reply Yup. It's a slap on the wrist. Nothing more., Raltevio, 02-Oct-15 10:20 AM, #2
     Reply RE: Yup. It's a slap on the wrist. Nothing more., Isildur, 02-Oct-15 10:32 AM, #3
     Reply For me it was Nererial, incognito, 02-Oct-15 11:40 AM, #4
     Reply If it addressed to any sect, Emperor gets it., TMNS, 02-Oct-15 11:48 PM, #13
          Reply There used to be some address Scion Aps used....., Vonzamir, 05-Oct-15 11:20 AM, #16
     Reply Since I had a little time. I expanded on this., Raltevio, 02-Oct-15 04:03 PM, #7
          Reply RE: Since I had a little time. I expanded on this., Isildur, 02-Oct-15 05:49 PM, #11
          Reply Probably not., Raltevio, 02-Oct-15 06:26 PM, #12
          Reply My High Priest got demoted 3 separate times. nt, TMNS, 02-Oct-15 11:49 PM, #14
     Reply It's half your donations. Not saying it ruins a charact..., KaguMaru, 02-Oct-15 12:15 PM, #5
          Reply It's just a slap on the wrists., Raltevio, 02-Oct-15 01:29 PM, #6
               Reply I'm not disputing any of that,, KaguMaru, 02-Oct-15 04:07 PM, #9
                    Reply Eh, fair enough., Raltevio, 02-Oct-15 04:19 PM, #10
     Reply Mine was, and anathema too, before working up to empero..., Aereglen, 02-Oct-15 03:47 PM, #8
          Reply Am I wrong thinking that yours was unique? NT, Kstatida, 05-Oct-15 11:03 AM, #15
               Reply RE: Am I wrong thinking that yours was unique? NT, Aereglen, 08-Oct-15 04:59 PM, #26

Srokmat (Anonymous)Tue 06-Oct-15 03:51 PM
Charter member
#60867, "Awesome."
In response to Reply #0

I just did something, entirely on purpose with a clear and rational mind.

Please don't insult my intelligence by pretending you have done anything other than hate me. Hopefully my new roleplay will be fun, if it is then it will have absolutely nothing to do with you.

IsildurTue 06-Oct-15 05:46 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60869, "RE: Awesome."
In response to Reply #17

Pretty sure Destuvius's post was provoked by Camdon's deletion and not anything having to do with Srokmat. Just sayin'.

UmironTue 06-Oct-15 06:17 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60873, "This. (nt)"
In response to Reply #18

nt

Srokmat (Anonymous)Tue 06-Oct-15 06:41 PM
Charter member
#60874, "Lets say this is true. What I said is still true. NT"
In response to Reply #18

nt

UmironTue 06-Oct-15 06:48 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60875, "Then keep it IC. (nt)"
In response to Reply #20

nt

Srokmat (Anonymous)Tue 06-Oct-15 07:11 PM
Charter member
#60876, "With respect sir/mam..."
In response to Reply #21

I wasn't able too. Every misstep I took there was an immortal calling me out.

My crimes? Saying '#### you' instead of 'Farg yer'. The other being defending the spire for tactical reasons and using my legacies.

Sure I see the reasonings behind those things no problem. But at the same time I see someone like Sodsob break imperial law with no consequences whatsoever. I think some immortals mistake pk count for roleplay.

Is this OOC? A bit yes. But Srokmat has a new role to play now, and one where he doesn't have to answer to immortal moron jobsworths. (I don't mean immortal Gaspare, Gaspare is awesome).

TMNSTue 06-Oct-15 09:40 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#60878, "Wow Dude, man the #### up."
In response to Reply #22
Edited on Tue 06-Oct-15 09:42 PM

I got demoted once for not giving gear to a higher ranked Imperial.

I got demoted another time for talking back to a higher level Imperial.

I had an Empire God sleep me on Eastern and send global echoes telling people to kill me.

So stop being a petulant bitch, please, and play your character.

LhydiaWed 07-Oct-15 04:50 AM
2390 posts
#60879, "...screamed the kettle. n/t"
In response to Reply #23

gr

TMNSWed 07-Oct-15 01:57 PM
2670 posts
#60891, "But my char is only 3 years old."
In response to Reply #24

I was led to believe it's too young to CF.

IsildurFri 02-Oct-15 07:10 AM
5969 posts
#60805, "RE: Blanket statement for the masses"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 02-Oct-15 07:11 AM

It would be interesting to go back and look at what percentage of characters that made it to Emperor were demoted at least once prior to that. My guy was.

I think there was some discussion going on over cb and the current Emperor said something that might have been a little inaccurate and I busted out with something like, "Well, actually, blahblahblah". As if we were all just having a friendly discussion. Boom; demoted.

RaltevioFri 02-Oct-15 10:20 AM
Member since 07th Jul 2015
134 posts
#60809, "Yup. It's a slap on the wrist. Nothing more."
In response to Reply #1

My Imperials have been demoted plenty. Sometimes by other players, but in at least one instance that I recall.. by Imm.

It's not intended to be permanent, nor is it designed to be. That is reserved for Anathema.

PS: As recent-ish events (via Sindrir) have shown in game, even Anathema need not be entirely permanent. While I should imagine it would be extremely rare for Anathema generally to be undone in that way, with the right RP and approach, even that is not off-limits.

IsildurFri 02-Oct-15 10:32 AM
5969 posts
#60810, "RE: Yup. It's a slap on the wrist. Nothing more."
In response to Reply #2

Hard for me to search properly, but I went back and looked at some recent emperors:

Sindrir: demoted
Daphrdan: never demoted
Jarlduz: demoted
Niji: never demoted
Gharzal: never demoted
Gedunthos: demoted
Merf: demoted

incognitoFri 02-Oct-15 11:40 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60813, "For me it was Nererial"
In response to Reply #3

Only I never got back in. Tried to overthrow Ahtieli and in order to give my note "flavour" I wrote it to Shadow Lord Fred. Except that sent it to the whole shadow sect. And I think maybe Ahtieli too?

TMNSFri 02-Oct-15 11:48 PM
2670 posts
#60824, "If it addressed to any sect, Emperor gets it."
In response to Reply #4

Elhe felt really bad about the Anath after we stopped laughing.

VonzamirMon 05-Oct-15 11:20 AM
Member since 07th Jun 2011
659 posts
#60841, "There used to be some address Scion Aps used....."
In response to Reply #13

that would send the applications to the shadow sect also. I think it was lords of shadow or something like that.

RaltevioFri 02-Oct-15 03:47 PM
134 posts
#60816, "Since I had a little time. I expanded on this."
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Fri 02-Oct-15 04:03 PM

TLDR version: Demotion is common in the Empire. It's part of the scenery.

And note, this is likely to be a biased sample, in the sense it represents some of the most ruthless and skilled players in the cabal:

Sindrir: Demotion (player & Imm, multiple)
Jarlduz: Demotion (player & Imm, multiple)
Niji: no demotion
Gharzal: no demotion
Gedunthos: Demotion (player)
Merf: Demotion (player)
Etion: no demotion
Kraldinor: no demotion
Kurbrawn: Demotion (player)
Otuerghad: Demotion (player)
Sivyh: Demotion (player)
Zubei: Demotion (player)
Hanord: no demotion
Tarleton: no demotion
Kostyan: no demotion
Hunsobo: no demotion
Skiltore: no demotion
Grunlath: no demotion
Niazuruzain: no demotion
Yagharek: Demotion (Imm, NB: multiple demotions)
Gvan: Demotion (Imm)
Blitzenturt: no demotion
Grottimgesh: no demotion
Yanacek: no demotion

Total sample size: 24
Total with demotion: 11
Expected Value of demotion based on sample: 45.83

The following statement could use more investigation, however, I'm going to go ahead and say:

Even as a skilled player there is a probability of greater than or equal to ~0.46 that you will be demoted at least once, based on this historical sample.

Adding less skilled Imperials into the sample would likely shift the value even further closer toward the "certainty" side. I'm too lazy to do that. As I specify this sample (Emperor and PBF'd) is likely to be biased, and under report the likelihood of demotion for your typical Imperial.

Note: this also spans regimes from multiple Imms, including Khaso, Grurk, Zulg and Destuvius.

IsildurFri 02-Oct-15 05:49 PM
5969 posts
#60820, "RE: Since I had a little time. I expanded on this."
In response to Reply #7

Is that a complete list of Emperors counting backwards from Sindrir? If so, I'm kind of surprised there aren't more. Yanacek was forever ago.

RaltevioFri 02-Oct-15 06:13 PM
134 posts
#60822, "Probably not."
In response to Reply #11
Edited on Fri 02-Oct-15 06:26 PM

This is PBF only. Also, there are likely to be female characters (Empress) in the mix too. Inevitably, there would be omissions.

Edit: Stats on Empress flagged PBF characters:

Daphrdan: no demotion
Gvantulak: Demoted (player, multiple times)
Melememelem: Demoted (player, multiple times)
Eoria: no demotion
Kharlgurln: Demoted (Imm)

Again, hovering around the P(D)=0.5 mark.

TMNSFri 02-Oct-15 11:49 PM
2670 posts
#60825, "My High Priest got demoted 3 separate times. nt"
In response to Reply #7

nt

KaguMaruFri 02-Oct-15 12:15 PM
Member since 15th Sep 2012
805 posts
#60814, "It's half your donations. Not saying it ruins a charact..."
In response to Reply #2

nt

RaltevioFri 02-Oct-15 01:29 PM
134 posts
#60815, "It's just a slap on the wrists."
In response to Reply #5

Based on the fact that many Imperials will, at some point, be demoted.. (by design), it's viable to rebound.

A lot of very skilled players have rebounded from demotions and been demoted in the first place. It's a built in dynamic of the way Empire is designed.

People probably shouldn't get too hung up on it, just saying. It should be an expectation of a (moderately probable) outcome.

KaguMaruFri 02-Oct-15 04:07 PM
Member since 15th Sep 2012
805 posts
#60818, "I'm not disputing any of that,"
In response to Reply #6

But the effect on your character is tangible. Not devastating, not enough to ruin a character, but significant and impactful beyond simply a loss of pride.

RaltevioFri 02-Oct-15 04:16 PM
134 posts
#60819, "Eh, fair enough."
In response to Reply #9
Edited on Fri 02-Oct-15 04:19 PM

And is certainly more significant the higher your tier is (both in terms of donations, and loss of powers).

Regardless, it's probably healthy to expect a demotion at some point on any Imperial and count your lucky stars if it never materializes. Some of the reasons I love Imperial:

1. It doesn't suffer idiots lightly.
2. It is extremely Darwinian. Dog eat dog and the Apex predator gets to eat you for lunch on a whim.

I also hate Imperial from time to time, because every time I play one, I realize just how crap I am at this game.

All in all though, Imperial is a beautifully designed and functional cabal. It is one of my favorite cabals in the game.

AereglenFri 02-Oct-15 03:47 PM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
#60817, "Mine was, and anathema too, before working up to empero..."
In response to Reply #1

nt

KstatidaMon 05-Oct-15 11:03 AM
Member since 12th Feb 2015
2214 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60838, "Am I wrong thinking that yours was unique? NT"
In response to Reply #8

NT

AereglenThu 08-Oct-15 04:59 PM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
#60893, "RE: Am I wrong thinking that yours was unique? NT"
In response to Reply #15

Define unique. Technically every character that is created is unique.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #60804 Previous topic | Next topic