Subject: "Improvements of the MUD" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #59994
Show all folders

JaegendarThu 09-Jul-15 07:52 PM
Member since 30th May 2014
136 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59994, "Improvements of the MUD"

I am sorry if I posted this on the wrong forum, but I didn't think of another one that was more appropriate.

I have a question: Have you guys ever considered doing patreon to fund big improvements to the mud?

Things that come to mind:
-Hardware improvements
-graphic design work for the page
-Hire someone as a temp to do a major coding. Aka. code your own mud client with neat ways to interact with the mud.
-Marketing of the facebook page
-Google Adwords

I have seen far worst things getting huge amounts of support money this way, and it would definitely not harm the goal of free to play.

Jaegendar

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Improvements of the MUD, Mendos, 10-Jul-15 04:43 AM, #1
     Reply Could you do a fundraiser to say bump up the VM specs o..., Sarien, 10-Jul-15 06:57 AM, #2
     Reply RE: The War Chest, Umiron, 10-Jul-15 07:45 AM, #3
          Reply RE: The War Chest, Isildur, 10-Jul-15 08:43 AM, #4
          Reply RE: The War Chest, Umiron, 12-Jul-15 10:31 AM, #6
               Reply RE: The War Chest, Isildur, 14-Jul-15 09:34 PM, #9
          Reply Taking the last point to marketing., Mendos, 10-Jul-15 11:16 AM, #5
          Reply I wouldn't mind helping out if I can, Torak, 14-Jul-15 10:29 PM, #10
          Reply I think people forget you guys get PBF monies., TMNS, 14-Jul-15 10:50 PM, #11
     Reply RE: Improvements of the MUD, The Heretic, 14-Jul-15 09:02 PM, #7
          Reply RE: Improvements of the MUD, Umiron, 14-Jul-15 09:08 PM, #8

MendosFri 10-Jul-15 04:43 AM
Member since 16th Oct 2013
180 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59996, "RE: Improvements of the MUD"
In response to Reply #0

-Hire someone as a temp to do a major coding. Aka. code your own mud client with neat ways to interact with the mud.

Being able to pay people goes a huge way towards running more efficiently. Having said that, CF is built on existing code (not its own proprietary stuff) and therefore cannot legally pay staff, or allow people to profit.

SarienFri 10-Jul-15 06:57 AM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
#59998, "Could you do a fundraiser to say bump up the VM specs o..."
In response to Reply #1

I'd kick in 50$ for as much/often as I play CF. I've gotten more enjoyment out of this game over the last decade than any game that I paid retail for. I'd imagine I'm also not alone. I know you can't turn a 'profit' but a fundraiser to beef up the hosted machine shouldn't fall under that umbrella?

UmironFri 10-Jul-15 07:45 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#59999, "RE: The War Chest"
In response to Reply #2

Money actually isn't a resource we're particularly short on. The same is true of server specs too, actually. We can't quite afford to make it rain, but we're not going to disappear for financial reasons any time soon either.

The MUD runs great on the VM we have. We don't come anywhere close on CPU usage, we have RAM to spare and the SSD we upgraded to last year seems to have alleviated some of the I/O problems we were seeing.

We're not against spending our money but we do want to make sure we're confident there's ROI in something before we pay for it. Likewise, a precursor to buying stuff is usually having active and motivated immortals coming up with good plans and executing them, and that doesn't seem to be an area that gets a lot of attention these days.

IsildurFri 10-Jul-15 08:43 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
5969 posts
#60002, "RE: The War Chest"
In response to Reply #3

Were the I/O problems database related? If so then there might be some low-hanging fruit there in terms of indexing, tweaking config params, etc.

UmironSun 12-Jul-15 10:31 AM
1497 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60012, "RE: The War Chest"
In response to Reply #4

I didn't (and don't) have the ability to diagnose those things on our server, but I assume the problems we had were more a symptom of perhaps an underwhelming or overloaded VM host than anything else.

The upgrade to a SSD and gigabit network connection seem to have helped a lot, though. Now, I would attribute what little lag (on our own) we see to the codebase itself.

As for the database, there's certainly some low-hanging fruit there. It's awful, but we also don't have a lot of use cases where that awfulness hurts us much.

IsildurTue 14-Jul-15 09:34 PM
5969 posts
#60070, "RE: The War Chest"
In response to Reply #6

Was just speculating that if there were a standard relational database anywhere in CF's architecture that the root cause of the high I/O might have been a poor indexing strategy. Or poor queries. If that's the case (and it probably isn't; I'm just spit-balling here) then juicing I/O bandwidth is really more of a band-aid.

MendosFri 10-Jul-15 11:16 AM
Member since 16th Oct 2013
180 posts
#60003, "Taking the last point to marketing."
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Fri 10-Jul-15 11:16 AM

"Likewise, a precursor to buying stuff is usually having active and motivated immortals coming up with good plans and executing them, and that doesn't seem to be an area that gets a lot of attention these days."

Both Umiron and I have had a little shot at this over the last 18 months. I'm going to post extensively on our Marketing Board later this afternoon to outline a few things and invite the players to chip in there.

As the OP initially pointed out, this isn't really Gameplay related, but I understand why he came here. Marketing has been neglected for a while.

TorakTue 14-Jul-15 10:29 PM
Member since 15th Feb 2007
1216 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#60072, "I wouldn't mind helping out if I can"
In response to Reply #5

Maybe even make more videos Had 385 views, most watched it the full length, which is pretty damn surprising given it was a random plug during my Twitch event.

TMNSTue 14-Jul-15 10:50 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#60073, "I think people forget you guys get PBF monies."
In response to Reply #3

Averages about 50-75$ a month at the least, no?

Not that that is an amazing chunk of cash, but I'd imagine it pays for a lot of the fees involved (notice I said LOT not all).

The HereticTue 14-Jul-15 09:02 PM
212 posts
#60068, "RE: Improvements of the MUD"
In response to Reply #1

Give me a way to use websockets instead of telnet to interact with the mud, then I'll build the client I want to use, put it on Github, and then anyone can build the client they want.

UmironTue 14-Jul-15 09:08 PM
1497 posts
#60069, "RE: Improvements of the MUD"
In response to Reply #7

What you're looking for is https://github.com/kanaka/websockify

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #59994 Previous topic | Next topic