Subject: "Komodo Dragon discussion" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #58819
Show all folders

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Mon 23-Mar-15 11:56 PM
Charter member
#58819, "Komodo Dragon discussion"

I can't help but feel the recent change to defensive regeneration forms over did it. It used to be significant damage reduction now it is only have damage reduction. I can barely stand in front vs the skeletons of Mount Calandaryl or Storm giants in Kiadana Rah with two warriors dealing really nice damage. How does go about providing logs or showing things to see if others feel the changes maybe need a slight tweak?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Komodo Dragon discussion, SideStrider, 27-Oct-15 02:40 AM, #32
Reply I just had crocodile, which is what I wanted, until I f..., KoeKhaos, 27-Mar-15 04:41 AM, #22
Reply Seconding this - Croc is nerfed to the point that it's ..., gnedist (Anonymous), 26-Oct-15 05:29 AM, #27
     Reply Croc and komodo are horrible now. You should have RtB/..., Bemused, 26-Oct-15 08:27 AM, #29
          Reply Typically the only reason I roll for regen..., gnedist (Anonymous), 26-Oct-15 01:27 PM, #30
          Reply Playing Al Pacino in Devil's Advocate..., TMNS, 26-Oct-15 08:50 PM, #31
Reply RE: Komodo Dragon discussion, Umiron, 24-Mar-15 10:14 AM, #5
Reply RE: Komodo Dragon discussion, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 26-Mar-15 11:08 AM, #17
     Reply RE: Komodo Dragon discussion, Umiron, 26-Mar-15 01:31 PM, #18
          Reply That's a horrible way of judging whether something is b..., Bemused, 26-Mar-15 07:56 PM, #20
               Reply Actually, komodo is still really nice., TMNS, 26-Mar-15 09:53 PM, #21
               Reply Regen is SUPER nerfed., KoeKhaos, 27-Mar-15 04:47 AM, #23
               Reply Being the Komodo I disagree, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 27-Mar-15 08:54 AM, #24
               Reply You are categorically wrong on this one (nt), Bemused, 28-Mar-15 05:14 AM, #26
               Reply Yeah that is pretty horrible method of checking, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 27-Mar-15 09:07 AM, #25
Reply I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest, Sarien, 24-Mar-15 07:58 AM, #1
     Reply RE: I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 24-Mar-15 08:30 AM, #2
     Reply RE: I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest, Verathi, 24-Mar-15 09:02 AM, #3
          Reply RE: I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 24-Mar-15 09:43 AM, #4
          Reply RE: I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 24-Mar-15 10:15 AM, #6
               Reply It can be, laxman, 24-Mar-15 10:56 AM, #7
                    Reply RE: It can be, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 24-Mar-15 11:12 AM, #8
          Reply It's more that croc/komodo had uber dam redux too., TMNS, 24-Mar-15 06:13 PM, #10
               Reply Solo a storm giant, I don't think I could., Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 24-Mar-15 07:19 PM, #11
                    Reply Form Confidence, Tsunami, 24-Mar-15 11:43 PM, #12
                    Reply RE: Form Confidence, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 25-Mar-15 08:57 AM, #13
                    Reply Posted a log, wanted to do more testing but all clumped..., Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 25-Mar-15 09:45 AM, #14
                         Reply RE: Posted a log, wanted to do more testing but all clu..., Verathi, 25-Mar-15 09:59 PM, #16
                              Reply I've tried them all, I can log one of each if you would..., Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 26-Mar-15 05:42 PM, #19
                              Reply Unless they've changed enlivens recently..., gnedist (Anonymous), 26-Oct-15 05:35 AM, #28
     Reply I do and don't., TMNS, 24-Mar-15 06:11 PM, #9
          Reply The log is on the officals log board here btw. NT, Shapeshifter (Anonymous), 25-Mar-15 09:55 AM, #15

SideStriderTue 27-Oct-15 02:40 AM
Member since 30th Dec 2007
208 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#61192, "RE: Komodo Dragon discussion"
In response to Reply #0

I've always pretty much habitually played shapeshifters, I bounce off an on to other classes, but always go back to a shifter and this an opinion I'm sure not everybody is behind.

The problem with the changes to the regen. forms is just the fact that they cannot perform in the manner a defense form should. I completely agree that when facing a single slaver/skeleton/or storm giant with a good damage source or two backing you, while still having to get nervous your going to take a dirt nap feels a bit *BLEH*.

The biggest problem in my eyes is having a hemmorage or impale completely make your form about worthless. You go from having a great form before the changes to basically having a healing factor when you run away after. On top of that now you cannot even run away to heal because the bleeding makes it virtually useless. It's sort of like not getting a new creature, but getting the Whispers legacy in critter form.

Maybe perhaps instead of beating the damage redux tree again, its lost enough acorns, you could think maybe about tweeking it so that these forms in question have their thick hides come into affect a bit more often or perhaps something of that nature. Yes I know there's an edge for that, I've taken it numerous times, and the affect is not all too noticeable and is very costly EP wise.

Take for instance the Crocodile and a form like the Rhino or TD Spider. When your tier1 offense or utility forms are out performing your tier1 defense form, it just becomes aggravating, most people deal with it for a while then they snap out and delete or just let the character dust its self.

Just saying perhaps somewhere there is some middle ground we can all meet on that will satisfy the players need and not aggravate Umiron into complete madness involving canoe whacking everybody for Christmas

KoeKhaosFri 27-Mar-15 04:40 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58859, "I just had crocodile, which is what I wanted, until I f..."
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 27-Mar-15 04:41 AM

It's damage reduction is just meh and takes very little to break through. Rager can smashed it down in moments. Even with ABS the reductions seemed just ok and if maledicted I still got beat down easily. The regen was OK but the moment any malediction happens, it's horrible. I couldn't tank normal things that my neutral conjurers could tank with a luminous archon let alone stronger things. In fact, my Fox, which is utility and not primarily defensive, tanked better than my defensive major in many cases! I ended up deleting my last character because I couldn't actually even explore and certain problems being in Herald. This was my last character I played so it was a recent experience with the same feeling.

gnedist (Anonymous)Mon 26-Oct-15 05:28 AM
Charter member
#61167, "Seconding this - Croc is nerfed to the point that it's ..."
In response to Reply #22
Edited on Mon 26-Oct-15 05:29 AM

Can't stand in front of most hero range mobs with the change to dam redux and regen.

EDIT: It's frustrating enough that I actually searched the forums for more information about it. Can this please be looked at to balance a bit better? It's no use having a defensive form that can't actually defend - even if you took away it's bite to the point where it was more like a 'dillo that used regen, it'd be better than what it is now.

BemusedMon 26-Oct-15 08:27 AM
Member since 15th Oct 2013
663 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#61169, "Croc and komodo are horrible now. You should have RtB/..."
In response to Reply #27

You should have searched the forums BEFORE deciding to take it. Had you stumbled upon this thread or one of the others you may have changed your mind about keeping it.

Croc/Komodo were the goto forms for the defensive focus. Instead of boosting the remaining forms the decision was made to nerf these to oblivion to try and level out the T1 forms.

Defensive regen forms really are just woeful.

gnedist (Anonymous)Mon 26-Oct-15 01:27 PM
Charter member
#61176, "Typically the only reason I roll for regen..."
In response to Reply #29

Is if I'm going to explore solo. If I'm looking for PK viability, komodo was good, but porcupine was better, dillo was much more survivable, pachy is still my golden goose. snake was hit or miss to the point where it'd depend on my other form.

I've thought for a long time that I'd love a lemur/mongoose if they actually had a bit of legit dam redux.

I'll note that I haven't experienced the changes to maledicts affecting regen, but if that's the case, that alone is enough change to take defensive regen out of the picture aside from the dodgy snake - since maledict is essentially the first thing people do to a non-dodgy defense form. That's a one trick pony for defeating a regen shifter - which if that's the intent then fine, but that seems like a pretty big nerf in and of itself.

Also...plz bring back muh boa. Ah miss et.

TMNSMon 26-Oct-15 08:50 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#61187, "Playing Al Pacino in Devil's Advocate..."
In response to Reply #29

...komodo and croc DID used to be too good.

I had komodo in 2013? I think, and it was stupid good. Like, I could kill mobs my cheetah needed ABS to kill with just scales up. Would take longer, but yeah, was stupid strong.

I would imagine Croc was the same. They both had comparable dam redux to porc/pachy yet also had the same regen as Diamondback/Cobra. They basically meant that everyone who went defense and DIDN'T get one of the two forms usually deleted and bitched about how weak mongoose/lemur/pachy/diamondback/porc was.

UmironTue 24-Mar-15 10:14 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58824, "RE: Komodo Dragon discussion"
In response to Reply #0

I'm not going to assert that Komodo is perfectly dialed in or that it isn't. What I do feel confident asserting is that I'm more comfortable with it now than I was in July before it was changed.

I'll see if I can get my hands on some swap data and see what's happening there, but otherwise I'm fine with the new status quo.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Thu 26-Mar-15 11:08 AM
Charter member
#58847, "RE: Komodo Dragon discussion"
In response to Reply #5

May I ask what swap data is that you are referring to?

UmironThu 26-Mar-15 01:31 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58848, "RE: Komodo Dragon discussion"
In response to Reply #17

A few years ago Zulg implemented some long-term logging to track whenever a shapeshifter uses one of the swap edges.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on that data, though I'm pretty sure it's not going to show a mass exodus of shapeshifters walking away from komodo.

BemusedThu 26-Mar-15 07:56 PM
663 posts
#58855, "That's a horrible way of judging whether something is b..."
In response to Reply #18

Particularly not long after the nerf. Someone would have had to play two defence shifters post-nerf and got the komodo both times. The first time to see how terrible it is and the second to swap it out due to how terrible it is.

TMNSThu 26-Mar-15 09:53 PM
2670 posts
#58857, "Actually, komodo is still really nice."
In response to Reply #20

Just doesn't play the same way anymore.

Look at vis-a-vis other major regen forms. Before, Komodo and Croc were better in nearly every situation as opposed to sand liz/cobra/diamondback. Now, it's roughly equal. Komodo can still work, but it used to be gross (and I'm not even going to mention about when it had Lion rake for 2-3 weeks) and would make defense majors re-roll nearly every form but komodo/croc. I had people tell me that porcupine sucked! Seriously!

Regen does not seemed nerfed at all, just dam redux. So, that being said, hit-and-run tactics make more sense. And if you're fighting some crazy badass you can't flee from, make sure you ABS (still regen through ABS...just not as much).

And I'm not even mentioning the utility stuff. Croc is amphibious (only defense major that is) which is great for exploring. Croc has a pimp lagging/offense move in water. Komodo can sprint (as you mentioned), has carrionfeed to change damage type, and resists poison. Those are all really useful abilities.

I still think Cheetah is too good. And I've played 2, and hope to play more. So I'm not biased re: wanting certain forms to stay buff. I like that offensive forms are basically a crapshoot, and people keep most if not all of their original forms in that foci, but that's because of constant tweaks and rebalancing.

KoeKhaosFri 27-Mar-15 04:44 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
400 posts
#58860, "Regen is SUPER nerfed."
In response to Reply #21
Edited on Fri 27-Mar-15 04:47 AM

You get a hamstring or something you you regen horribly. Then again, maybe it was needed since they were pretty strong before, though it was all they could do since the defense form couldn't kill really. From what I hear, the best regen form now is the utility one because it dodges. Dodging forms are much more defensive than damage reduction ones now that the regen/damage reduction? is nerfed.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Fri 27-Mar-15 08:54 AM
Charter member
#58861, "Being the Komodo I disagree"
In response to Reply #21

Personally I feel super weak and my Tier 2 form out performs my Tier 1 form. my Tier 3 form with the same level of damage reduction takes less damage per hit. That to me just makes the Komodo and likely other regen forms that don't have dodge feel nerfed.

BemusedSat 28-Mar-15 05:14 AM
663 posts
#58870, "You are categorically wrong on this one (nt)"
In response to Reply #21

gr

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Fri 27-Mar-15 09:07 AM
Charter member
#58862, "Yeah that is pretty horrible method of checking"
In response to Reply #20

Honestly I got this form at 42 and my arm shot up in the air I even boosted to my wife....which she gave me the look... I then went to rank with a ranger and the ghasts wrecked me and the ranger ended up tanking.

SarienTue 24-Mar-15 07:58 AM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
#58820, "I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest"
In response to Reply #0

To me, it seems like you either 'hit the shifter lottery' or keep trying. Out of every focus I can name forms that are considered 'winners' and those that are 'losers'. And the thing is, I feel that most would agree with me

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Tue 24-Mar-15 08:30 AM
Charter member
#58821, "RE: I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest"
In response to Reply #1

Okay I was afraid of that possibly being the case, too bad I got all excited to see Komodo Dragon and can't roll the bones after using it. Seen the stats on the QHCF forum and it was actually the form I wanted the most.

Minor set back on my highest character ever!! I'll press on learn what I can with what I got.

Thanks for the response.

VerathiTue 24-Mar-15 09:02 AM
Member since 10th Dec 2014
92 posts
#58822, "RE: I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest"
In response to Reply #2

There are some forms that are just mean, but very few that I think of as overly weak. The hardest part to playing a shifter is that not every form will naturally fit your playstyle, and you can't choose one to fit your playstyle. Instead, you must change your playstyle to fit the form you get.

As far as komodo, it may not be the greatest at tanking for ranking now but it would still be a form I would like to have paired with offense for PK so there is a balance. Before it was regen form or bust for most people, the fix did a good job of making them have drawbacks.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Tue 24-Mar-15 09:43 AM
Charter member
#58823, "RE: I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest"
In response to Reply #3

I'm for sure going to give it my all. Just did seem a little odd it had the same dam reduction as my tier 3 form, but I know I have a lot to learn on all fronts.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Tue 24-Mar-15 10:15 AM
Charter member
#58825, "RE: I'd like to see all forms rebalanced to be honest"
In response to Reply #4

One last thing I would like to note is:

Tier 3 form
Defense : Higher damage reduction against low to mid level opponents
Dam Reduction : Damage Reduction

In testing my tier 3 from out preforms my tier 1 form with just

Dam Reduction : Damage Reduction

is this usually the case in terms of damage reduction for higher and lower tiered forms?

laxmanTue 24-Mar-15 10:56 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#58826, "It can be"
In response to Reply #6

For instance polar bear has more dam redux than lemur.

Defense is either dodge, dam redux + deflection, or regen.

If you have multiple categories they will be less significant that forms with few categories.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Tue 24-Mar-15 11:12 AM
Charter member
#58827, "RE: It can be"
In response to Reply #7

I'm understanding better now. Guess with the adjustments made regen forms don't quite shine as well as they used to in terms of dam redux + regen.

Thanks all

TMNSTue 24-Mar-15 06:13 PM
2670 posts
#58829, "It's more that croc/komodo had uber dam redux too."
In response to Reply #3

So it was kinda #### they had uber-regen AND uber dam-redux.

Ya know?

Komodo is still awesome. I'd be shocked if a hasted/stoneskined fully confident komodo couldn't tank storm giants. I soloed the Archmage of the HToS with a komodo before the change.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Tue 24-Mar-15 07:19 PM
Charter member
#58830, "Solo a storm giant, I don't think I could."
In response to Reply #10

Are you talking solo or with two others in the group? With two others it is possible but without two others I don't think it is possible
I of coarse can test this solo if you'd like and post it on the QHCF log board.

TsunamiTue 24-Mar-15 11:43 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#58831, "Form Confidence"
In response to Reply #11

Just throwing this out there in case you didn't think to check, but form confidence can play a big part in that I think. My shifter experience is limited, but my crag soarer improved drastically after my confidence in the form went up a lot.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Wed 25-Mar-15 08:57 AM
Charter member
#58832, "RE: Form Confidence"
In response to Reply #12

For sure I've been confident for a very long time with this form as I was ranking solo for 80-150 xp on the Sentient trees since rank 42. picking up a group here and there when one was available.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Wed 25-Mar-15 09:45 AM
Charter member
#58833, "Posted a log, wanted to do more testing but all clumped..."
In response to Reply #11

Nt

VerathiWed 25-Mar-15 09:59 PM
Member since 10th Dec 2014
92 posts
#58837, "RE: Posted a log, wanted to do more testing but all clu..."
In response to Reply #14

Not to say this is making or breaking that log, but have you tried different enlivens? I wouldn't think that would be the best for that form.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Thu 26-Mar-15 05:42 PM
Charter member
#58852, "I've tried them all, I can log one of each if you would..."
In response to Reply #16

nt

gnedist (Anonymous)Mon 26-Oct-15 05:35 AM
Charter member
#61168, "Unless they've changed enlivens recently..."
In response to Reply #16

The defensive enlivens were next to nothing compared to enlivens from other majors. I wouldn't expect a defensive enliven to change what mobs you can or can't tank solo.

TMNSTue 24-Mar-15 06:11 PM
2670 posts
#58828, "I do and don't."
In response to Reply #1

Honestly, there are only 2-4 final forms that are noticeably (worse/better) than the rest.

Cheetah is too good.
Walrus is probably too good.
Lemur really kinda sucks now.

....and that's pretty much it. Though I can understand if you don't like Howler Monkey or Giant Wasp because they playstyle doesn't fit.

Zulg did a really really great job balancing the forms. While some might seem "more powerful", I think forms like Cobra, Dire Wolf, Electric Eel are really really nice forms.

Shapeshifter (Anonymous)Wed 25-Mar-15 09:55 AM
Charter member
#58834, "The log is on the officals log board here btw. NT"
In response to Reply #9
Edited on Wed 25-Mar-15 09:55 AM

NT

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #58819 Previous topic | Next topic