Subject: "Conjurer Roleplay Question" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #58729
Show all folders

TsunamiWed 11-Mar-15 09:59 AM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58729, "Conjurer Roleplay Question"

I'll start with: I don't know much about how magic works in Thera.

Now, how does a conjurer justify taking archons/angels from their homes and dominating their wills into service?

Are archons/angels non-sentient? Does the goodie version of "bind" have a different echo to say "asks politely"? Is it something that is just glossed over for the sake of having the class?

Am I just wrong about how the process works thematically?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

laxmanWed 11-Mar-15 05:48 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#58740, "Look around khardraths and lycium"
In response to Reply #0

There is in game content from imms and mortals that examine this topic.

From a purely mechanical standpoint they added good aligned servitors for good aligned so it is clearly ok to use them.

A good conjurer that only used demons and devils to fight evil would be interesting role wise (even if it would con die in record time in the process)

TsunamiWed 11-Mar-15 07:47 PM
1509 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58742, "Most certainly will."
In response to Reply #4

I'm more and more interested to find various answers to arcane quandaries.

ScarabaeusWed 11-Mar-15 11:56 AM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
#58732, "RE: Conjurer Roleplay Question"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Wed 11-Mar-15 11:57 AM

Now, how does a conjurer justify taking archons/angels from their homes and dominating their wills into service?

I assume your concern is regarding good-aligned conjurers doing this? You can think of binding spells as something of a short-term magical contract. When the contract is in play, the servitor must be kept happy to some degree or bad things happen.

Are archons/angels non-sentient?

No, they are sentient creatures.

Does the goodie version of "bind" have a different echo to say "asks politely"?

No.

Is it something that is just glossed over for the sake of having the class?

Not really. There is mutual benefit for conjurers and servitors when the conjurer is trying to keep the servitor happy with their arrangement.

TsunamiWed 11-Mar-15 12:23 PM
1509 posts
#58733, "Magical Ignorance"
In response to Reply #1

I'll chalk it up to that and play sometime to get a first hand view I think.

The help file for lightbind says they get pissed if you fail to put enough mana in, so I assumed it was something they don't like in general.

I definitely meant good aligned. Neutral and/or evil conjurers make sense right off the bat.

"You can think of binding spells as..." I don't much like that type of answer as I think if I'm expected to "think of it as X" to follow my alignment then it should just be that by default. Of course, maybe I'm reading too much into your verbiage and you meant that's exactly what binding is: a contract. They get pissed because I offered a bad contract and now they want to kill me for it? Jeez those extra-planar types are capricious!

Then there is the idea that it was left intentionally vague so that the player/character can interpret it to their particular roleplay needs? I better research it in game anyway. Probably more fun that way.

Thanks for the input Scarab.

ZephonWed 11-Mar-15 03:50 PM
Member since 21st Mar 2007
488 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58738, "RE: Conjurer Roleplay Question"
In response to Reply #1

It would be pretty cool to have some variance in the binding echo depending on your align vs their align.

Example echos:

OG conjurer
"Emanating a wave of holy splendor, you forge a holy magical contract with a blazing archon."

NN conjurer
"You convince a blazing archon to aid you as he/she joins with you in a magical binding."

CE conjurer
"You force your dominance over a blazing archon and bind them to your servitude."

I think the flavor text would be fun at least.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #58729 Previous topic | Next topic