Subject: "H2H skill - Evasion" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #58070
Show all folders

AbernyteWed 21-Jan-15 07:24 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
975 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58070, "H2H skill - Evasion"

Can this be changed to an automatic skill that happens in combat when fighting with h2h? It is pointless at present because it is feint but can work against a group of ppl hitting you. Why would you ever chose evasion over any other h2h skill when getting ganged? Answer is you wouldn't but having it fire randomly in combat would be a nice little niche skill to aid with tanking.

Just a thought as I reminisce about the old days of felar spear/h2h.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Counterpunch, and fluid deceptions, lasentia, 21-Jan-15 08:10 AM, #1
     Reply Very limited milage, laxman, 21-Jan-15 08:37 AM, #2
     Reply Given your PK skills, I'm shocked you don't see the val..., lasentia, 21-Jan-15 09:26 AM, #3
          Reply So the skill is only useful with the edge?, Tac, 22-Jan-15 08:50 AM, #6
               Reply Someone tell me if this is correct, TJHuron, 22-Jan-15 10:22 AM, #7
                    Reply Mostly accurate., Umiron, 22-Jan-15 10:55 AM, #8
                         Reply Can a counterpunch get DB?, lasentia, 22-Jan-15 12:42 PM, #9
                         Reply No. (nt), Umiron, 22-Jan-15 01:50 PM, #11
                         Reply chance of a chance against odds, laxman, 22-Jan-15 01:19 PM, #10
     Reply Sadly only dexy races can get counterpunch. n/t, Calion, 21-Jan-15 12:25 PM, #4
          Reply gnome can too right? think Turmi had it. nt, Dallevian, 21-Jan-15 12:35 PM, #5

lasentiaWed 21-Jan-15 08:10 AM
Member since 27th Apr 2010
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58071, "Counterpunch, and fluid deceptions"
In response to Reply #0

I would use evasion a lot vs. a gang if I had that edge.
One round, hits everybody that you feint an attack on.
That's pretty nice. You're mitigating the damage you are taking, plus getting area damage sort of.

As an automatic skill it makes it almost like fluid deceptions, and I don't think a skill is meant to be on par with a legacy.

laxmanWed 21-Jan-15 08:37 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#58072, "Very limited milage"
In response to Reply #1

Gangs will generally be lagging or straight dishing damage or maldicting. It will be rare that even group jab+feint will be a good option and even less often will it be the best one

lasentiaWed 21-Jan-15 09:26 AM
987 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58073, "Given your PK skills, I'm shocked you don't see the val..."
In response to Reply #2

I suppose backhand and jab have limited mileage as well. Maybe in a group fight, but in a one v. one I think they both have a lot of use.

The edge + skill makes you a more effective tank against a group, NPCS or PCS. So it has a use there. Not all gangs are one v. three either. I could see using it when raiding empire for example as a pretty good use.

You yourself slip in backhands or jabs when you are afforded the free opportunity (or because you don't want to overlag yourself) by measuring your opponent's self imposed lag. Counterpunch gives hth specs that same ability, plus the bonus of a feint. So it is actually pretty nice in a one v. one because of that 1 round lag move option.

Crushing blow, stun, pummel are all more than 1 round lag, far as I know.
Vital area I actually don't know. But even so, I thought you can't stack vital areas.

But to say evasion + counter punch has limited mileage when it is a one round lag move is pretty much wrong. If it were only area feint, I'd agree. Area feint + a hit for 1 round is pretty nice though.

Can the counterpunch be dodged/evaded/parried? That might make it less useful, but I haven't seen enough of it in action to know.

TacThu 22-Jan-15 08:50 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#58097, "So the skill is only useful with the edge?"
In response to Reply #3

That seems like the edge should just become part of the skill.

TJHuronThu 22-Jan-15 10:22 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#58098, "Someone tell me if this is correct"
In response to Reply #6

Feint is a 1 round move that makes the person you are directly fighting miss 1 blow.

Evasion is a 1 round move that makes all the people you are fighting miss 1 blow.

Evasion w/counterpunch edge is a 1 round move that makes all the people you are fighting miss 1 blow plus you get a riposte type hit on everyone who misses.

So evasion without the edge is still slightly better than feint because it can be used against multiple opponents.

UmironThu 22-Jan-15 10:55 AM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
#58099, "Mostly accurate."
In response to Reply #7

Evasion is not guaranteed to feint everyone targeting you. Even when it lands against your primary target there is a independent chance it will miss against subsequent attackers.

Counterpunch simply gives you a free swing at each person you successfully "evade" in addition to the feint. I can't say I recall ever seeing it in action but off the cuff that sounds like a pretty good deal even if it's not an obvious go-to tactic in a lot of situations.

lasentiaThu 22-Jan-15 12:42 PM
987 posts
#58100, "Can a counterpunch get DB?"
In response to Reply #8

I have this vision of a felar berserker thirsting and just spamming evasion and taking down a group because they don't see it coming. Course, most of them will run before you seal, but still.

If DB fires on backfist, I imagine it might on counterpunch.

UmironThu 22-Jan-15 01:50 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1497 posts
#58102, "No. (nt)"
In response to Reply #9

nt

laxmanThu 22-Jan-15 01:19 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#58101, "chance of a chance against odds"
In response to Reply #8

-you have a non 100% chance to land the skill
-a non 100% chance to evade subsequent people
-and finally a not 100% chance to get counter punches on each evaded person.

Now in a one on one it is fine for doing something with spare rounds and not lagging yourself out. Not a game changer by any means but its ok.

If you are fighting multiple people as a hand spec the real life use cases where using this skill is a good idea reduce rapidly. Generally you want to either try and pick someone off and GTFO or just GTFO. If you can just sit there merrily soaking up all that is coming your way might as well just throw out damage or stun or even more likely, use your other spec.

It is a nifty sounding idea for an edge and a skill that just doesn't get much play (by that I mean very few people use the skill with the edge or not)

CalionWed 21-Jan-15 12:25 PM
367 posts
#58074, "Sadly only dexy races can get counterpunch. n/t"
In response to Reply #1

DallevianWed 21-Jan-15 12:35 PM
1639 posts
#58075, "gnome can too right? think Turmi had it. nt"
In response to Reply #4

nt

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #58070 Previous topic | Next topic