Subject: "Tiered edge points" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #57731
Show all folders

KaguMaruWed 07-Jan-15 05:45 AM
Member since 15th Sep 2012
805 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57731, "Tiered edge points"

These should just go away. Once I've spammed all my skills and gathered all my preps I shouldn't feel like I might be gimping myself in some way if I don't round off my PK score to a multiple of 5 before I level up. It was a huge relief to have the explore/observe bonus go away.

On the other hand, I get why the incentives are there. But I think chopping it down to edge points for 5 pk's per level band, rather than 15, would be reasonable. Also, for many players or characters, just getting one PK is an achievement, and there should maybe be edge points for that. It took me several characters to add up to 10pk's which is the lowest reward independent of level.

But yes this would be another source of edge points gone and people are still upset about losing their edges recently, other ideas for where to put the missing PK edge points; at 10 or 20 solo kills, or at lower numbers of cabal retrievals.

My Imperials used to spend their time doing nothing but retrieving, all day, and I don't think I ever reached 50 retrievals. I'd have to look it up but I might have hit 25, though I don't see how this would be possible with any other cabal, or even for most imperials. (By the way Empire has to retrieve the most because it has the weakest guardians. Fort guys can solo the council at level 40, Empire guys have trouble with the watcher at 51 in groups of 3 with no defenders. Even that out a bit and let the fort guys rack up some retrieval exp) I'm unsure why the 50 retrievals and 100 retrievals bonuses even exist. Has any character in the history of the game ever reached the 100 mark?

tl;dr take away/reduce level tiered PK edge points, add some small incentive to get your first PK or to not gang, tone down cabal retrieval numbers.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I like the level tier edge points, TJHuron, 07-Jan-15 10:06 AM, #1
     Reply RE: I like the level tier edge points, KaguMaru, 07-Jan-15 10:47 AM, #2
          Reply I can relate to that feeling, TJHuron, 07-Jan-15 12:19 PM, #3
          Reply Yeah if we knew.., KaguMaru, 07-Jan-15 01:26 PM, #4
          Reply Multikilling shouldn't yield edge points, Calion, 07-Jan-15 03:53 PM, #5
               Reply Multikilling is hard to define, Sarien, 07-Jan-15 04:00 PM, #6
                    Reply Yeah, there are lots of situations where you could "mul..., TJHuron, 07-Jan-15 04:07 PM, #7

TJHuronWed 07-Jan-15 10:06 AM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57745, "I like the level tier edge points"
In response to Reply #0

I think it promotes spending time at all levels rather than power ranking to hero.

>But I think chopping it down to edge points for 5 pk's per level band, rather than 15, would be reasonable.

I'm not sure what you meant here because as far as I know you do get edge points for 5 pks in each level tier. You also get some for 10 & 15.

I get that the recent changes to edge points now make this method one of the better ways to accumulate edge points but you still don't have to do it. I think Daev said these bonuses aren't significant anyways. They've never seemed to be for me, at least, but they do help there is no denying.

Were just gonna have to get used to CF where you can't have a ton of edges.

KaguMaruWed 07-Jan-15 10:47 AM
805 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57748, "RE: I like the level tier edge points"
In response to Reply #1

Well what I mean is still award those points for 5 PKs, which will slow people down, but 10 and 15 encourage antisocial behaviour and multikilling.

At least, I feel like I need to hit 10 or 15 PKs before I level up, and that slows down my ranking, discourages me from grouping, and tempts me to find excuses to kill someone noobier 2 or 3 times instead of just once. My compulsion to spam skills is bad enough without the compulsion to kill people even more than I would already.

I can't be the only one affected this way by the idea that if I get that one more level I'll lose out permanently.

TJHuronWed 07-Jan-15 12:19 PM
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#57760, "I can relate to that feeling"
In response to Reply #2

When Twist first published that information last year I had just started playing Ishuntal. I know I was compelled to get 15 pks at every tier. If I didn't do it I was close. Pretty sure I got 15 at most and for sure 10 at all tiers.

Assassin is a pretty good class to do it with. I've tried doing it since with other characters and have found getting to 5 can be a challenge. I've even skipped a tier since then out of a lack of patience (and it's bugged me too!). The pk opportunities just aren't there like they used to be and the ones that are there are often more challenging. You can just as easily become a pk for someone else.

That being said I still like the edge points for it. I probably won't attempt hitting 10 or 15 unless I have a reason to level sit or it miraculously rains pks on me but I'll continue to try for the 5 pk bonus.

I'd be really curious to know just how significant these edge points are. I mean are we fretting over something that isn't as important as we are making it?

I've found that I actually like mid-range pk. I've also found that it gives me time to get into the character. I have time to develop the character and start laying the plans for some of the character goals so that by the time I hit hero I'm hopefully just not random new hero X that no one has ever heard of.

KaguMaruWed 07-Jan-15 01:26 PM
805 posts
#57762, "Yeah if we knew.."
In response to Reply #3

Like how does the non-cumulative bonus for 10 PKs at each tier compare to 1000 exploration exp? If it was less I probably wouldn't bother.

CalionWed 07-Jan-15 03:53 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
367 posts
#57769, "Multikilling shouldn't yield edge points"
In response to Reply #2

If it does, I'd say the PK edge point rewards are broken.

SarienWed 07-Jan-15 04:00 PM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
#57770, "Multikilling is hard to define"
In response to Reply #5

I can think of an instance with my current where I "Had to" because of defense/raiding kill the same guy within a single login. Should this not count as a true kill? He was attacking my outer...I would argue that it should.

TJHuronWed 07-Jan-15 04:07 PM
1132 posts
#57772, "Yeah, there are lots of situations where you could "mul..."
In response to Reply #6

Another example is the guy who tries to kill you but you kill him. Then he comes back for more.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #57731 Previous topic | Next topic