Subject: "A Website Request" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #54257
Show all folders

TJHuronThu 20-Feb-14 05:37 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54257, "A Website Request"

Could some of the in game information commands be available on the website?

The commands I have in mind are rolecontest history and the wizlist.

Rolecontest history - If you are in the mood to read role contest winning roles, it would be nice to see who the past winners were without having to log in.

wizlist - If you are not logged in and developing a character role it might be helpful to see which imms are active and what their spheres and times are.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: A Website Request, Umiron, 20-Feb-14 08:24 PM, #1
     Reply Out of curiosity, TJHuron, 20-Feb-14 11:30 PM, #2
          Reply RE: Out of curiosity, Daevryn, 21-Feb-14 08:30 AM, #3
               Reply What makes it different from a normal helpfile?, Tac, 21-Feb-14 09:17 AM, #4
               Reply It isn't a helpfile, Rayihn, 21-Feb-14 10:36 AM, #5
                    Reply its not that intensive of a work around, laxman, 21-Feb-14 12:16 PM, #6
                         Reply RE: its not that intensive of a work around, Umiron, 21-Feb-14 12:28 PM, #7
                              Reply Easy fix:, Tsunami, 21-Feb-14 06:08 PM, #9
                                   Reply We tried that., Twist, 21-Feb-14 08:06 PM, #10
                                        Reply But then you crossed the streams and that's why the ser..., TMNS, 21-Feb-14 08:27 PM, #11
                                             Reply I'm pretty sure that was just Durnominator trying to ma..., Bubthegreat, 22-Feb-14 06:46 PM, #19
               Reply Please don't take this the wrong way..., TMNS, 21-Feb-14 01:14 PM, #8
                    Reply RE: Please don't take this the wrong way..., Valguarnera, 21-Feb-14 08:52 PM, #12
                    Reply Alright bone-daddy..., TMNS, 21-Feb-14 09:42 PM, #13
                         Reply Actually,, Twist, 21-Feb-14 10:09 PM, #14
                         Reply Jesus, pull your panties up. It was an answer not an a..., Demos, 21-Feb-14 11:05 PM, #15
                         Reply RE: Accuracy in writing, Valguarnera, 21-Feb-14 11:42 PM, #16
                         Reply RE: Alright bone-daddy..., Daevryn, 22-Feb-14 09:54 AM, #18
                    Reply Also:, Valguarnera, 21-Feb-14 11:45 PM, #17

UmironThu 20-Feb-14 08:24 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54264, "RE: A Website Request"
In response to Reply #0

I may be mistaken, but I believe the wizlist idea has been shot down a couple times.

I'll start a conversation about the role contest results.

TJHuronThu 20-Feb-14 11:30 PM
Member since 28th Nov 2007
1132 posts
#54266, "Out of curiosity"
In response to Reply #1

What are the reasons people are against posting the wizlist on the website?

DaevrynFri 21-Feb-14 08:30 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54271, "RE: Out of curiosity"
In response to Reply #2

Nobody wants the job of manually updating it and automating it is kind of a pain right now.

TacFri 21-Feb-14 09:17 AM
Member since 15th Nov 2005
2050 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54274, "What makes it different from a normal helpfile?"
In response to Reply #3

And why couldn't you say, have the mud dump the output of the wizlist command to a helpfile (wizlist-help) or something similar?

Just trying to help, not trying to imply that you are idiots or don't know how to do your stuff or anything.

RayihnFri 21-Feb-14 10:36 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#54278, "It isn't a helpfile"
In response to Reply #4

It's a live in game command right now that each imm is responsible for monitoring and maintaining their own activity data. So either someone has to create a help file for it and constantly either be told an imm has updated it and then fix the help file or find a way to link the in game command to a live data area on the website.

laxmanFri 21-Feb-14 12:16 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#54279, "its not that intensive of a work around"
In response to Reply #5

You set up a batched process that overwrites the wizlist helpfile with the current output of wizlist.

You don't even need to be a programer to do it, you can use freeware automators to do it. Make a generic imm player, have it log on, wizlist, copy, update helpfile command, log off.

UmironFri 21-Feb-14 12:28 PM
Member since 29th May 2017
1495 posts
#54280, "RE: its not that intensive of a work around"
In response to Reply #6

You made a wrong assumption which actually makes what you described substantially more work than the "proper" method would be. Not to mention the additional points of failure, the job of babysitting the new process, etc.

TsunamiFri 21-Feb-14 06:08 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#54283, "Easy fix:"
In response to Reply #7

Run conduit to the flux capacitor and triple-sink the heat matrix to double loop around echo three before resynchronizing the widget coordinating fiddlethwump.

Noob.

TwistFri 21-Feb-14 08:06 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#54285, "We tried that."
In response to Reply #9

We also reversed the polarity.

TMNSFri 21-Feb-14 08:27 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#54286, "But then you crossed the streams and that's why the ser..."
In response to Reply #10

NT

BubthegreatSat 22-Feb-14 06:46 PM
Member since 22nd Mar 2007
194 posts
#54303, "I'm pretty sure that was just Durnominator trying to ma..."
In response to Reply #11

Something about forced chassis entry and a trojan?

TMNSFri 21-Feb-14 01:14 PM
2670 posts
#54281, "Please don't take this the wrong way..."
In response to Reply #3

...but everytime I read an IMM response along these lines, I think "Then why the #### do they get mad when we play no-RP characters, or take the easy road re: ganging/looting, or re-use descriptions?"

Seeing as how they are roughly the same thing.

PS I could care less, it's not hard to log on to the game via the website for 1 minute and type wizlist. That's pretty much the only style I've been logging on for the last year.

ValguarneraFri 21-Feb-14 08:52 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
6904 posts
#54287, "RE: Please don't take this the wrong way..."
In response to Reply #8

...but everytime I read an IMM response along these lines, I think "Then why the #### do they get mad when we play no-RP characters, or take the easy road re: ganging/looting, or re-use descriptions?"

1) There's an easy workaround here: You log on briefly, and type one command. The wizlist might change a couple times a month, and most changes won't effect your particular character, so it's not like you have to check often. Yes, we could probably fix this with some dedicated effort, but there's maybe two or three people who could do this properly, and that's one other thing that they aren't working on that day. Umiron in particular has been putting in a ton of work under the hood improving the helpfile system. I don't see this as urgent enough to tell him to stop that and work on this.

2) I have no idea what this has to do with you ruining the experience of other players, or staff members getting mad at you for doing so. If you can't figure out why staff members get mad at you or other people for playing no-RP characters who grief other players, I don't know what to tell you.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

TMNSFri 21-Feb-14 09:42 PM
2670 posts
#54289, "Alright bone-daddy..."
In response to Reply #12

I don't know why you chose to miss the last part, where I said I don't see the problem with the system the way it is now...not sure why the #### you'd even have a 1)...

Second, I've never once played a griefing character. I have played some evil pricks, but I tried to at least do it with a homeless man's Enbuergo style. The reason I said that was the response from a game of "Yeah, that idea is a good idea but no one gives two ####s enough to figure it out" is a ####ing terrible response.

I know Zulg leaving left a big hole, but I'd venture it's better to just say "We're working on it" while searching for talented individuals (there are PLENTY of players willing to aid in any possible way but at times it seems like the administration wants to make it as difficult as possible) than to basically say "Well, we're understaffed because we've pushed people out that dedicated a ####-load of time recently and we're overworked and under-motivated".

TwistFri 21-Feb-14 10:09 PM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#54290, "Actually,"
In response to Reply #13

...it was Zulghinlour who implemented the current way that wizlist works. It was mentioned, at the time, that it'd be neat if the helpfile system could grab the wizlist. As I recall, he looked into it, decided it was way more trouble than it was worth, and that was that. Other coders have the same opinion.

Valg's point is that if you can't see the difference between us not feeling that this is something that is really as important as other things we're working on and someone (so we won't say *you*) rolling up a character that is expressly breaking the rules of CF, then he doesn't know what to tell you.

Why would we say "We're working on it." when we aren't and do not intend to do so? Instead, we stated that it isn't likely to happen, and why. And we get people arguing about how we're not seeing the obvious solution. And then we get people arguing that we're not saying "No." the right way, even though some of them actually don't even disagree with us that the status quo on this particular item isn't really a problem.

DemosFri 21-Feb-14 11:05 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2003
211 posts
#54291, "Jesus, pull your panties up. It was an answer not an a..."
In response to Reply #13

You get what you give son, so act right. They're volunteers, let it go.

ValguarneraFri 21-Feb-14 11:42 PM
6904 posts
#54292, "RE: Accuracy in writing"
In response to Reply #13

I'd venture it's better to just say "We're working on it"

Why? We're not.

If another person came along who reliably routed in-game content back and forth with the web site, there are a huge number of other things I'd want that person doing and maintaining.

Second, I've never once played a griefing character.

If you don't want readers to conclude you're claiming to be part of that problem, don't write in the plural first person "we", as in "Then why the #### do they get mad when we play no-RP characters, or take the easy road re: ganging/looting, or re-use descriptions?"

while searching for talented individuals (there are PLENTY of players willing to aid in any possible way but at times it seems like the administration wants to make it as difficult as possible)

Those players should apply for staff positions. We've taken on more than a couple heroimms this past year. We've also declined applications, because we require trustworthy people that work well with our staff.

DaevrynSat 22-Feb-14 09:54 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#54296, "RE: Alright bone-daddy..."
In response to Reply #13

>"Well, we're understaffed because we've
>pushed people out that dedicated a ####-load of time recently
>and we're overworked and under-motivated".

I don't see this as a thing that actually happened.

Nobody pushed Zulg out (if anything, he was in a position to push anyone else out that he cared to).

I don't see anyone else as pushed out either, but nobody else that left in recent memory did very much in the few years before their departure. Being a CF imm is often a game of burnout and historically it's very very common for people to effectively stop contributing a long time before they officially call it quits.

ValguarneraFri 21-Feb-14 11:45 PM
6904 posts
#54293, "Also:"
In response to Reply #8

If you find that your subject line is something like "No offense, but..." or "Not to be a jerk, but..." or "Please don't take this the wrong way...", that's a sign that you should rewrite your post if you desire extremely polite responses.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #54257 Previous topic | Next topic