Subject: "Guardro and other such names" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #53716
Show all folders

ArtificialSun 19-Jan-14 06:20 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#53716, "Guardro and other such names"

Per the talk on the other forum, can we put an end to the (intentional or not) exploitative names like Caba- Mara- etc?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I'm with this as much as I'm against it, vargal, 19-Jan-14 06:43 PM, #1
     Reply Use the full name of the individual with your targeting..., Sarien, 20-Jan-14 11:32 AM, #2
          Reply You see no bent here for you to take. n/t, Homard, 20-Jan-14 11:47 AM, #3
          Reply Please think before posting., Artificial, 20-Jan-14 12:22 PM, #4
          Reply I did think before writing, now you try, Sarien, 20-Jan-14 12:48 PM, #5
               Reply I'm sorry, Artificial, 20-Jan-14 12:55 PM, #6
                    Reply I'm sorry too!, Sarien, 20-Jan-14 01:26 PM, #9
                    Reply My next name will be Xharlasfinssinaa, TheProphet1, 23-Jan-14 09:55 PM, #15
                         Reply RE: My next name will be Xharlasfinssinaa, -flso, 23-Jan-14 10:09 PM, #16
                              Reply RE: My next name will be Xharlasfinssinaa, Sarien, 27-Jan-14 04:49 PM, #17
                    Reply Uh, -flso, 23-Jan-14 07:11 PM, #13
          Reply Alternatively, deny any char that has gua, out or caba ..., Eskelian, 20-Jan-14 01:21 PM, #7
               Reply RE: Alternatively, deny any char that has gua, out or c..., Rayihn, 20-Jan-14 01:24 PM, #8
                    Reply Well, those aren't a "problem" though, Drag0nSt0rm, 20-Jan-14 06:06 PM, #10
                    Reply Good point, Rayihn, 20-Jan-14 06:40 PM, #11
                    Reply Imms of yore made it so that all names starting with "V..., DurNominator, 23-Jan-14 06:22 PM, #12
                    Reply A fix is not really needed for this., -flso, 23-Jan-14 07:13 PM, #14

vargalSun 19-Jan-14 06:42 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#53719, "I'm with this as much as I'm against it"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 19-Jan-14 06:43 PM

Do we ban all names starting with a given set of three letter combinations?

CAB MAR TAR OUT SPE GAT GUA VAN HUN CEN CAP GAR ? That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more potentially exploitable strings.

I think intelligent enforcement is preferable here, rather than simply denying a set of given strings. That also means, later on down the road, when someone comes up with a novel string to exploit there isn't an excuse like "Well, you banned all the other strings so I thought it was OK" followed by drama.

SarienMon 20-Jan-14 11:32 AM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#53721, "Use the full name of the individual with your targeting..."
In response to Reply #1

Don't change naming rules just because frankly, you're too ####ing lazy to type out someone's name and want to use an abbreviation...get bent.

HomardMon 20-Jan-14 11:47 AM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#53722, "You see no bent here for you to take. n/t"
In response to Reply #2

n/t

ArtificialMon 20-Jan-14 12:22 PM
1180 posts
#53723, "Please think before posting."
In response to Reply #2

And stop embarrassing yourself.

Fighting Fortie conjurer.

Elf thief named Archor trips you!

Oh I'm dual wielding iron! Quickly switch to the thief!

Cranial arch

Yeah.

SarienMon 20-Jan-14 12:47 PM
740 posts
#53724, "I did think before writing, now you try"
In response to Reply #4
Edited on Mon 20-Jan-14 12:48 PM

This is only a problem if you use an abbreviation - just as I said.

It used to be you HAD to type out the name of your target completely, this was changed years ago

Prior to this change, I played Selfren - a wholly acceptable name which would be discarded under your request.

Lets use your example:

you are fighting fortie Conjurer, and thief "Archor" comes up

Cranial Archor - problem ####ing solved ZOMG!!! those two extra letters make a game changing difference!

Stop being lazy fattie.

Oyea, go #### yourself.

ArtificialMon 20-Jan-14 12:55 PM
1180 posts
#53725, "I'm sorry"
In response to Reply #5

I didn't realized you had perfect accuracy at 500 wpm when surprised by people. Not all of us are so magnificent as thee.

I am once again embarrassed for you.

SarienMon 20-Jan-14 01:26 PM
740 posts
#53728, "I'm sorry too!"
In response to Reply #6

In retrospect, you are wight! If the difference between typing "Archo" and "Archor" is entirely too much work for you, then obviously it needs to be changed.

I had no idea the labor I was asking you to go through in order to successfully target people in an online game.

Truly, my bad. They should definitely change this, so you can save the valuable calories it would take you to type an additional character.

Alternatively:

You could suck it up like the rest of us and type out names when necessary.

Then again, if typing 1-2 extra letters is causing you a hard time..maybe you should find a diff hobby.

TheProphet1Thu 23-Jan-14 09:55 PM
Member since 11th Jan 2012
175 posts
#53773, "My next name will be Xharlasfinssinaa"
In response to Reply #9

try typing that quickly during combat

-flsoThu 23-Jan-14 10:09 PM
Member since 02nd Oct 2007
296 posts
#53774, "RE: My next name will be Xharlasfinssinaa"
In response to Reply #15

I type xh<TAB> -> my client completes the name.

Macro: I pre-bind X to Xharlasfinssinaa, type X (without hitting enter) -> my client completes the name.

Alias: I pre-alias X to Xharlasfinssinaa, type murder X <ENTER> -> my client
sends "murder Xharlasfinssinaa" to the mud.

SarienMon 27-Jan-14 04:49 PM
740 posts
#53809, "RE: My next name will be Xharlasfinssinaa"
In response to Reply #16

yea, I don't understand the huge gap in client know-how...To me, what he posted about is a complete non issue *UNLESS* the person is actually using only a portion of the name E.G. Archo instead of Archor would be still bad. And, I think the IMM's snuff those names out as soon as someone lets them know.

-flsoThu 23-Jan-14 07:11 PM
296 posts
#53770, "Uh"
In response to Reply #6

Use a better mud client, preferably one with configurable completion

Setup your own aliases for potential targets
Setup your own macros for potential targets

and so on and so forth.

EskelianMon 20-Jan-14 01:19 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2023 posts
#53726, "Alternatively, deny any char that has gua, out or caba ..."
In response to Reply #2
Edited on Mon 20-Jan-14 01:21 PM

If they're obviously exploiting their name.

The Tribunal named Guar was a good example. If you're trying your best to exploit your name mechanically, the character should be denied. That'll put an end to that pretty quick.

RayihnMon 20-Jan-14 01:24 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#53727, "RE: Alternatively, deny any char that has gua, out or c..."
In response to Reply #7

Chatted this over with some other imms about a possible code fix but it's a little too complex. We'll pretty much handle these on a case-by-case basis, especially because it really does happen by accident sometimes. I did it myself once with a mort conjie named Elena and didn't realize it until some rager walked in and pincered my elemental. So I try and give people the benefit of the doubt here.

Drag0nSt0rmMon 20-Jan-14 06:06 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
450 posts
#53729, "Well, those aren't a "problem" though"
In response to Reply #8
Edited on Mon 20-Jan-14 06:06 PM

You can type out the full name Elena, and not hit the elemental.

These are not ideal names, but the issue is in completely control of the end user.

However names like Ele the conjurer who conjures elementals. Now that is bug abuse.
Since If I walk to you in a room as Ele the conjurer, I show up then my elemental shows up. So if you bash ele (me) you bash elem(ental) instead.

Which is borked, and the same case as the Guar guy, or Mara.

RayihnMon 20-Jan-14 06:40 PM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#53730, "Good point"
In response to Reply #10

The main thing I was trying to say that as a staff we will rename these as we catch them. Send up a pray if you see one, we don't always scan the who looking for bad names. We moved the level requirement for rename down a while ago so most imms can now handle it, which I think will help overall with this.

DurNominatorThu 23-Jan-14 06:22 PM
Member since 08th Nov 2004
2018 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#53769, "Imms of yore made it so that all names starting with "V..."
In response to Reply #8

Same was done to names starting with "Guar", but the server delete likely nuked the change.

You could always gather a list of the names you want gone, either put them to a forbidden list or make a mob with those as a keyword and put it somewhere unaccessible to players.

-flsoThu 23-Jan-14 07:13 PM
296 posts
#53771, "A fix is not really needed for this."
In response to Reply #8

Unless the entire name is a server keyword.

If someone thinks it's a problem and doesn't want to spell names out,
he can setup his mud client accordingly to deal with it.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #53716 Previous topic | Next topic