Subject: "Out of PK range summoning zombies." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #51558
Show all folders

AereglenWed 18-Sep-13 10:14 AM
Member since 23rd Apr 2011
476 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51558, "Out of PK range summoning zombies."

I've noticed a few people getting extremely frustrated with people out of their pk range summoning away their hard earned zombie armies. I know it's been asked in the past, but I wouldn't hurt to bring it up again. Could it change so out of range people can't summon a necros army? There's a swarm of hero paladins right now that can make any necromancer NOT want to play. Just trying to enhance the funstick.

Thoughts?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Imm Conclusions?, Artificial, 22-Sep-13 08:49 AM, #36
Reply That necro should get smarter then, Drag0nSt0rm, 23-Sep-13 10:54 AM, #39
Reply A fair compromise?, Exit, 20-Sep-13 03:18 PM, #32
Reply Some solutions?, xrus, 20-Sep-13 10:25 AM, #28
Reply paladins and necromancers, Scarabaeus, 19-Sep-13 09:41 PM, #17
Reply The Elixir, Artificial, 20-Sep-13 06:36 AM, #24
     Reply RE: The Elixir, Scarabaeus, 20-Sep-13 06:24 PM, #33
Reply Actually, these guys are complaining about in-range sum..., highbutterfly, 19-Sep-13 12:18 AM, #2
Reply RE: Actually, these guys are complaining about in-range..., Twist, 19-Sep-13 12:24 AM, #3
     Reply There in lies the root of the problem., Aereglen, 19-Sep-13 05:00 AM, #4
          Reply It's not really griefing., Eskelian, 19-Sep-13 05:18 AM, #5
          Reply It absolutely is griefing, Artificial, 19-Sep-13 06:10 AM, #6
               Reply You hit the nail on the head., Aereglen, 19-Sep-13 02:06 PM, #7
               Reply Mid range necros with hero zombies is griefing too, Gaplemo, 19-Sep-13 02:39 PM, #9
               Reply Good point. Keep the discussion going!, Aereglen, 19-Sep-13 03:05 PM, #10
               Reply RE: Good point. Keep the discussion going!, Thrakburzug, 20-Sep-13 06:35 AM, #25
               Reply then make the level range of the zombie in line with pk..., Dallevian, 19-Sep-13 04:48 PM, #13
                    Reply RE: then make the level range of the zombie in line wit..., Daevryn, 19-Sep-13 04:56 PM, #14
                         Reply Perhaps compromise. Make them unsummonable out of pk ra..., Zephon, 19-Sep-13 05:08 PM, #15
                         Reply What if you could only have say 1.5 levels of zombie pe..., Frequentplayer, 19-Sep-13 10:30 PM, #18
                         Reply Honestly I think they're fine the way they are., Anti-Hero, 23-Sep-13 10:17 AM, #37
                              Reply I pretty much agree with this. (nt), Twist, 23-Sep-13 10:29 AM, #38
               Reply RE: It absolutely is griefing, Eskelian, 19-Sep-13 04:13 PM, #12
          Reply Reason enclosed from the last Lich..., Gaplemo, 19-Sep-13 02:37 PM, #8
               Reply What do you think Daev?, Aereglen, 19-Sep-13 03:10 PM, #11
               Reply RE: Reason enclosed from the last Lich..., Scarabaeus, 19-Sep-13 09:38 PM, #16
               Reply I know with Drekvah everyone was willing to help., Gaplemo, 19-Sep-13 10:35 PM, #20
               Reply Were these OOC contacts?, Frequentplayer, 19-Sep-13 10:41 PM, #22
                    Reply Drekvah was rolled for a specific purpose..., Gaplemo, 20-Sep-13 03:19 AM, #23
                         Reply FrequentPlayer is Prothero, you need not explain yourse..., lurker, 20-Sep-13 08:47 AM, #26
                              Reply Well that makes sense., Gaplemo, 20-Sep-13 10:39 AM, #29
                              Reply Log or it never happened. I've been called worse., Frequentplayer, 20-Sep-13 12:25 PM, #30
                                   Reply Didn't we ban you? n/t, Scarabaeus, 20-Sep-13 06:23 PM, #34
                                   Reply RE: Log or it never happened. I've been called worse., Daevryn, 20-Sep-13 08:25 PM, #35
               Reply AIM or the role command., Frequentplayer, 19-Sep-13 10:39 PM, #21
                    Reply You seem to be a real asshole., Aereglen, 20-Sep-13 09:50 AM, #27
                         Reply He asked. I answered. The zombie system begs to be expl..., Frequentplayer, 20-Sep-13 12:29 PM, #31
               Reply I'm in line with this., Frequentplayer, 19-Sep-13 10:34 PM, #19
Reply at one point, Dallevian, 18-Sep-13 10:55 AM, #1

ArtificialSun 22-Sep-13 08:48 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51685, "Imm Conclusions?"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Sun 22-Sep-13 08:49 AM

Do the imms feel there is a problem here that warrants a change?

I personally just want something to stop paladin/shaman X from logging on, seeing a lvl 33 necro on who, but no enemies in his range (or even if there are), typing c summon zombie;!;!, c summon ghoul, c summon golem, c summon construct, wrath 1.;!;!;!;!;!;!, nightlaugh, quit.

Drag0nSt0rmMon 23-Sep-13 10:54 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
450 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51727, "That necro should get smarter then"
In response to Reply #36

Go to an area with Zombies, Kill ALL the zombies.
Go to another area with Zombies. Kill ALL the Zombies.
Repeat the same with Ghouls golems and constructs (last one I can't think of many, but they exist)

Now they have to pick through the stack summon 11.zombie 12. 13. and so on before they can even find your zombies.

The second one gets summoned away - go back and kill more zombies to ruin their efforts.

ExitFri 20-Sep-13 03:18 PM
121 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51661, "A fair compromise?"
In response to Reply #0

What about this possible solution?

There is code in place to determine what percent damage was done to a PC that killed it. If this code extends to NPCs, maybe there can be a sliding scale of 'how much damage was done to this zombie by the necromancer' vs. 'how easy is it summon the zombie away.' Maybe if a certain threshold is reached (90%+) then a Kaubris' Anchor type of spell might be placed on the zombie when it's created. If the necromancer has non-class specific protections like sanctuary or receives any out of range healing it invalidates this process and the zombie is treated as regular and summonable.

Or.. scratch all that, and give necromancers a Kaubris' Anchor spell to retain up to two of their undead. So greater undead + one zombie.

That seems like a nice balance in risk vs. reward for both the necromancer and his range. If a necro spends the whole session making a high level zombies, he probably deserves a bit of a higher power scale to roll with. Like Thrak was saying, having zombies doesn't necessarily equate to more kills, but I imagine those who take the time to earn them should enjoy their benefits.

xrusFri 20-Sep-13 10:25 AM
Member since 13th May 2011
318 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51646, "Some solutions?"
In response to Reply #0

I have never played necromancers, but I have faced many low/mid ranks with hero armies who just wiped the flour with me. I think (as most of you have said) a necromancer should be able to keep an army of reasonable strength, but there should be some ways to control the army power with the help of elders, so their younger enemies can find a chance facing them.

I was thinking about a few solutions. One could find a mixture of them as the best answer too:

1. A level X char has a level range (Let's say X-5) access to summoning under control zombies.
2. A necromancer can have an anchor like spell (Maybe not even an spell, just a passive factor used in the background) to protect summoning his/her zombies. The lower level and fewer zombies you have, the higher chance of keeping them. Might even make a necromancer being able to have one same level zombie impossible to be summoned.
3. Others out of PK range, can summon the zombies if in same area as the necromancer. So, force the elders to walk side by side of their lower level friend to be of any help.
4. Make summoning out of range zombies a real pain. Huge amount of mana, zombies who fart on summon and make the summoner ill? (I don't know what is the elixir you all talk about, but it seems the solution I am talking about, if it does give reasonable downside)

ScarabaeusThu 19-Sep-13 09:41 PM
Member since 19th Feb 2011
1524 posts
#51620, "paladins and necromancers"
In response to Reply #0

Certainly there are some simple ways to protect your zombie army, a few of which will discourage all but the most onerous summoners.

In my experience, other necromancers tend to be more problematic than paladins.

ArtificialFri 20-Sep-13 06:35 AM
1180 posts
#51642, "The Elixir"
In response to Reply #17
Edited on Fri 20-Sep-13 06:36 AM

If you would perhaps rework the elixir to be more of a deterrent to out of range summoning, I would feel better about it.

The elixir just doesn't do enough damage to warrant losing the zombie for it, and anyone with protections, let alone heroes, are going to laugh at it.

If it maybe only exploded when they got summoned out of range, but it did huge damage and scourge? Maybe a different elixir for that?

But if you have a better solution that doesn't prevent me from pking with my zombies, I'd very much like to hear it.

ScarabaeusFri 20-Sep-13 06:11 PM
1524 posts
#51663, "RE: The Elixir"
In response to Reply #24
Edited on Fri 20-Sep-13 06:24 PM

To be fair, I didn't envision the elixir as being a mid-ranged necromancer's weapon against heroes. Rather, I imagined it being something more like the reverse of that.

EDIT: Additionally, I wasn't thinking of the elixir as a means of protection.

highbutterflyThu 19-Sep-13 12:18 AM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
#51583, "Actually, these guys are complaining about in-range sum..."
In response to Reply #0

You can't summon out of range zombies unless they're left alone somewhere.

TwistThu 19-Sep-13 12:24 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#51584, "RE: Actually, these guys are complaining about in-range..."
In response to Reply #2

>You can't summon out of range zombies unless they're left
>alone somewhere.

This is false. You can't attack zombies who are in the same room as their out-of-your-pk-range controller, but you can sure summon them away .

AereglenThu 19-Sep-13 05:00 AM
476 posts
#51589, "There in lies the root of the problem."
In response to Reply #3

Is problem the right word? Grief? Either way, with a few paladins or shamans working together they can easily ruin a necromancer's day with no risk to them. I don't play necromancers often, but seeing it happen I try putting myself in their shoes and can only conjure the thought, "that ####ing sucks."

Is there a reason for this design that I'm not seeing?

EskelianThu 19-Sep-13 05:18 AM
2023 posts
#51590, "It's not really griefing."
In response to Reply #4

But yeah mechanically it shouldn't be allowed. A paladin hero *should* be doing this to help out lower level players, for RP reasons, but it'd be ideal if these were flagged no-summon post-animate. It'd have a downside for the necromancer too but probably a worthwhile trade.

ArtificialThu 19-Sep-13 06:06 AM
1180 posts
#51591, "It absolutely is griefing"
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Thu 19-Sep-13 06:10 AM

It is ruining the fun stick of a non enemy (they aren't in your pk) with no gain to oneself, not even rp wise. It leads to no interactions, and you can't even tell who the one who summoned them away is. The only reason c summon zombie is used out of range is to weaken someone you cannot even fight, and because you don't have to move an inch to do it.

Nothing is less fun than having your hard work taken away by someone that you can do absolutely nothing about. It is even worse when it requires no investment on their part, and there is zero risk to them.

If the elixir did a huge amount of damage, maybe a % of hp or something through protections, I could see it being a solution, but a massacres is not.

AereglenThu 19-Sep-13 02:06 PM
476 posts
#51604, "You hit the nail on the head."
In response to Reply #6

Now is there anything that could be changed to make it more fun for necros but still have it balanced*?

*I hate using that word, can't think of a better way to word it though.

GaplemoThu 19-Sep-13 02:39 PM
Member since 06th May 2010
618 posts
#51606, "Mid range necros with hero zombies is griefing too"
In response to Reply #6

I know that once I got my pimp water sprites or storm commander army going in the late 20s or 30s, I could steamroll anyone in my range without the blink of the eye. Thats not that fair either

AereglenThu 19-Sep-13 03:05 PM
476 posts
#51608, "Good point. Keep the discussion going!"
In response to Reply #9

This is good stuff.

ThrakburzugFri 20-Sep-13 06:35 AM
83 posts
#51643, "RE: Good point. Keep the discussion going!"
In response to Reply #10

With Palmer at low levels, I rarely used zombies much, preferring to spend the time finding people and killing them. I used the zombies to level and get eq and wands.

With Tchalla at low levels I got all my own zombies and routinely had an army of 50+ level zombies. I got fewer kills than I did as Palmer.

DallevianThu 19-Sep-13 04:48 PM
1620 posts
#51613, "then make the level range of the zombie in line with pk..."
In response to Reply #9

level 25 zombie? hero can't summon.

level 50 zombie? hero can summon.

DaevrynThu 19-Sep-13 04:56 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#51614, "RE: then make the level range of the zombie in line wit..."
In response to Reply #13

I hit on the same idea this morning, though I'm not 100% sure yet if I like it or if I think it's necessary.

Elsewhere in this thread is most of what I would immediately point out -- it's rough having your zombies summoned by heroes when you're 25, but it's also rough having a 25 necro in range who someone fed a pair of level 60 corpses.

ZephonThu 19-Sep-13 05:07 PM
Member since 21st Mar 2007
488 posts
#51615, "Perhaps compromise. Make them unsummonable out of pk ra..."
In response to Reply #14
Edited on Thu 19-Sep-13 05:08 PM

nt

FrequentplayerThu 19-Sep-13 10:30 PM
Member since 31st Jul 2013
228 posts
#51622, "What if you could only have say 1.5 levels of zombie pe..."
In response to Reply #14

up to level 30, 2 levels from 31 to 40, 3 levels from 41 to 47, 4 levels from 48 to 51?

I'm not sure if that would balance things out, but personally I laugh with glee when I do a successful Zombie summon and get someone's storm giant.

Necromancer armies are already overpowered by my thinking. I like that they can be whittled down until something can be done about them.

Anti-HeroMon 23-Sep-13 10:17 AM
Member since 19th Sep 2013
64 posts
#51725, "Honestly I think they're fine the way they are."
In response to Reply #14

Its risk and reward. If you work hard for the zombies you should be able to get them and roll your range. On the other hand, you should be worried about protecting them by using water, cursed areas, and guilds. It's always been fine honestly.

TwistMon 23-Sep-13 10:29 AM
Member since 23rd Sep 2006
3431 posts
#51726, "I pretty much agree with this. (nt)"
In response to Reply #37

EskelianThu 19-Sep-13 04:13 PM
2023 posts
#51611, "RE: It absolutely is griefing"
In response to Reply #6

As a paladin, I'm supposed to let you walk around with a set of zombies killing the heck out of people in my cabal with them when I have a means to remove them from you?

It's not griefing, it's doing what you're supposed to be doing, protecting others.

There is clearly an investment by the way...considering you're spending time and mana doing it. As a necro you can always summon them back.

I don't like the mechanic any more than you but it's not griefing. Multi-killing is griefing. This doesn't rate anywhere near that.

GaplemoThu 19-Sep-13 02:37 PM
618 posts
#51605, "Reason enclosed from the last Lich..."
In response to Reply #4

Balance of power. Necromancers can be level 25, have a hero kill 2 storm giant commanders, and be running around with absurd level zombies. Water sprites are the same deal. A matter of a fact, rarely does a necromancer have zombies in his level range. Would it really be fair to allow that to happen if there was no way to counter it? You think someone in his level range is going to take him out with level 57 zombies in tow?

The thing about summoning zombies away, is that it provides a checks and balances. You can prevent it. You can go to a cursed area, you can leave them in a guild for a while. No, you cant just run around as a lowbie necromancer with zombies way above your level range with no risk. Shouldn't happen, and probably not going to happen. You can raise zombies to wreck your range with effortlessly, but theres the risk of losing them to summoners. You get your pie, but you still get fat from it. Thats just life man.

If you want to make it so necro zombies can't be summoned out of range, then I suggest about a 3-4 level cap on the zombie being raised in relation to the necromancers pk range. Remove the cap at spectre maybe, so you can get the dope ones. Thats the ONLY way it would be fair to remove out of range summoning, if they couldn't get zombies that were much higher if at all higher than their level. Doesn't sound as fun that way does it? Probably not, but it would be fair.

AereglenThu 19-Sep-13 03:10 PM
476 posts
#51609, "What do you think Daev?"
In response to Reply #8

I'm glad you brought up the high level zombie mobs. I agree there should be some sort of cap on the level of zombie you can have at different degrees of levels. I would love to hear anything Daevryn has to say about the mechanics here. Maybe there's something we are overlooking?

discuss

ScarabaeusThu 19-Sep-13 09:38 PM
1524 posts
#51619, "RE: Reason enclosed from the last Lich..."
In response to Reply #8

Necromancers can be level 25, have a hero kill 2 storm giant commanders...

What do you see as the most common scenario in which this occurs?

GaplemoThu 19-Sep-13 10:35 PM
618 posts
#51625, "I know with Drekvah everyone was willing to help."
In response to Reply #16

I got tells all the time from people ranking on the mountain to come raise a zombie, even from non scions. I almost always could get a cabal member to do it, and I imagine in empire or tribunal it would be even easier.

The lone necromancer may have issues getting aid, but even they aren't without the ability to get rocking zombies at level 28 with water sprites, by 36 war weary storm giants are easily obtainable with wall of putrid flesh and corpse thrall.

They're a tad more difficult to raise, you'll fail more often but once they get up it's open season on your range for the most part with even minimal protections. I think it's safe to say that any reasonably skilled veteran is going to have elite zombies one way or another, only the new players will lack to get strong followers.

FrequentplayerThu 19-Sep-13 10:41 PM
228 posts
#51627, "Were these OOC contacts?"
In response to Reply #20

Because it seems weird to me that so many eerily similar Necro's have the same army.

GaplemoFri 20-Sep-13 03:19 AM
618 posts
#51640, "Drekvah was rolled for a specific purpose..."
In response to Reply #22

Meaning that I had just had a fire AP in scion, had helped Zynzyn along with his lich quest, and when he failed, having been around the whole Davarrah and shadow plane quest, I knew that Scarabaeus was looking for a lich for whatever reason. All of scion knew he was looking for a lich. So I rolled one knowing that if I did well, and stuck to my guns, there was a good chance I would lich. Scion was powerful out the ass at the time, with a slew of badass characters (including Daevs conjie that was wrecking shop), so I was basically thrown armor and zombies whenever I wanted from a young age.

So yeah, I sorta knew from before I rolled him I was gunning hard to fill a specific role that an immortal run quest was looking to fill. Had that not been the case, I seriously doubt I would have got the lich quest I did.

You don't need ooc contacts to get zombies. Heroes know if they hook you up with them, you'll clean out your range/kill lowbie retrievers/remember them when you're that badass undead for it. I've never had a necromancer zombies weren't offered to in the low ranks.

lurkerFri 20-Sep-13 08:47 AM
Member since 13th Mar 2006
249 posts
#51644, "FrequentPlayer is Prothero, you need not explain yourse..."
In response to Reply #23

Seriously save your typing and thoughts for someone else

GaplemoFri 20-Sep-13 10:39 AM
618 posts
#51647, "Well that makes sense."
In response to Reply #26

No more ####s given there.

FrequentplayerFri 20-Sep-13 12:25 PM
228 posts
#51655, "Log or it never happened. I've been called worse."
In response to Reply #26

AS

ScarabaeusFri 20-Sep-13 06:23 PM
1524 posts
#51664, "Didn't we ban you? n/t"
In response to Reply #30

Di immortales! Eras ingens molestia!

DaevrynFri 20-Sep-13 08:25 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#51665, "RE: Log or it never happened. I've been called worse."
In response to Reply #30

Honestly, if you're not, you're his stalker and trying very hard to mimic him Single White Female style. Too many of the speech patterns and particular hang-ups are exact.

FrequentplayerThu 19-Sep-13 10:39 PM
228 posts
#51626, "AIM or the role command."
In response to Reply #16

Role + I am a necromancer born in Galadon.

role + My Heroic friends have cordially invoted me to the mountain.

role + There are giants there. Storm giants. They are now dead.

role + I make storm giant zombies and it's all kosher because I am not talking to my Bro's behind the scene to conveniently forget to sacrifice their corpses after they randomly decided to visit the volcano at the very moment I did.

role + I will join Scion, or Empire depending on what they role next.

role add

AereglenFri 20-Sep-13 09:50 AM
476 posts
#51645, "You seem to be a real asshole."
In response to Reply #21

Did you ever watch the Disney film Bambi? Well just in case I'll fill you in on a little life lesson.

"If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at allllllll."

FrequentplayerFri 20-Sep-13 12:29 PM
228 posts
#51657, "He asked. I answered. The zombie system begs to be expl..."
In response to Reply #27

And has more of a deleterious affect on the atmosphere than say your OOC bud giving you a hero set right out of chargen. At least short term.

So again. He asked and I answered. You should take your own advice.

FrequentplayerThu 19-Sep-13 10:34 PM
228 posts
#51624, "I'm in line with this."
In response to Reply #8

It's similar to my plan.

DallevianWed 18-Sep-13 10:55 AM
1620 posts
#51562, "at one point"
In response to Reply #0

i thought they could only be summoned out of range when not at the side of the necromancer. is that no longer the case?

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #51558 Previous topic | Next topic