Subject: "3 followup assassinate questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #48869
Show all folders

SarienFri 08-Feb-13 09:55 AM
Member since 14th Feb 2009
740 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48869, "3 followup assassinate questions"

I promise, this is the end of my true/false questions Daev. Thank you for taking the time to answer them

Size matters? bigger is better? Small is ok, depending on how ya use it? or, is size irrelevant.

Target sleeping improves chances

Target resting improves chances but not as much as target sleeping

Target entering the room improves chances, as compared to you moving to target (IE place yourself in their path and "ambush" rather than hunt them down, and assassinate)

If you answer any of these, I swear I will not ask you another question for 2 weeks. On any topic!

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: 3 followup assassinate questions, Lhydia, 08-Feb-13 03:39 PM, #1
     Reply stalk crunchers always crack me up, laxman, 08-Feb-13 03:48 PM, #2
     Reply No worse than pincer crunchers, Tsunami, 08-Feb-13 05:25 PM, #3
     Reply How does stalk counter reset itself?, highbutterfly, 08-Feb-13 06:59 PM, #4
     Reply RE: 3 followup assassinate questions, Daevryn, 08-Feb-13 08:31 PM, #5
          Reply So resting and sleeping are equally better than standin..., Lhydia, 09-Feb-13 08:06 AM, #6
          Reply RE: So resting and sleeping are equally better than sta..., Daevryn, 09-Feb-13 09:58 AM, #7
               Reply RE: So resting and sleeping are equally better than sta..., Isildur, 09-Feb-13 11:35 AM, #8
                    Reply RE: So resting and sleeping are equally better than sta..., Daevryn, 09-Feb-13 03:10 PM, #9
                         Reply wut?, Lhydia, 09-Feb-13 03:13 PM, #10
                              Reply RE: wut?, Daevryn, 09-Feb-13 03:15 PM, #11
                                   Reply I was always 100% sure when the victim is sleeping it h..., Shapa, 11-Feb-13 06:28 AM, #12
                                        Reply Me too but, incognito, 11-Feb-13 04:49 PM, #14
                                        Reply Someone who is sleeping can't be spamming where. nt, vargal, 11-Feb-13 05:47 PM, #15
          Reply You are awesome. ^_^, Zephon, 11-Feb-13 12:31 PM, #13

LhydiaFri 08-Feb-13 03:39 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
2385 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48882, "RE: 3 followup assassinate questions"
In response to Reply #0

Size only matters in that you can't assassinate anyone who is too small or big to bash you. It doesn't impact success otherwise if you are able to attempt it, you'll get a message 'They're too big/little for you to assassinate' (or something similar) and it won't let you input the command.

Sleeping improves chances more than resting which is more than standing.

Whether you walk to them or they walk into you doesn't matter.

If they see you on 'where' or in the same room but your stalk counter doesn't reset itself you've still got a shot.

If you have 10-12 stalks at 75% and they're sleeping with you using a vuln weapon, you've maximized your chance at success and you're throwing the dice fully stacked as much as they can be.

Even at 100% with the above factors you're still rolling the dice and you don't have more than a 50/50 shot (from what I can tell based on perfecting it a few times).

laxmanFri 08-Feb-13 03:48 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#48884, "stalk crunchers always crack me up"
In response to Reply #1

A buddy of mine played an assassin and he would keep saying...

Dude, if I land 8 stalks on you I got a 66% chance to assassinate you! Better look out.

I then ask, how many assassinates have you tried? --- 20
How many have you landed? ---2

So when did 2/20 become 66%

hahaha just thought I should share

TsunamiFri 08-Feb-13 05:25 PM
Member since 25th Mar 2008
1509 posts
#48886, "No worse than pincer crunchers"
In response to Reply #2

oh oh oh

highbutterflyFri 08-Feb-13 06:59 PM
Member since 24th Aug 2011
364 posts
#48889, "How does stalk counter reset itself?"
In response to Reply #1

>
>
>If they see you on 'where' or in the same room but your stalk
>counter doesn't reset itself you've still got a shot.
>

I didn't think was possible -- in other words, I thought if the target saw you on where or in the same room by definition the stalk counter was coded to reset.

DaevrynFri 08-Feb-13 08:31 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#48892, "RE: 3 followup assassinate questions"
In response to Reply #1

>Size only matters in that you can't assassinate anyone who is
>too small or big to bash you. It doesn't impact success
>otherwise if you are able to attempt it, you'll get a message
>'They're too big/little for you to assassinate' (or something
>similar) and it won't let you input the command.

Being enlarged might hurt your chances. I forget. Changing size for sure can never help you.

>Sleeping improves chances more than resting which is more than
>standing.

No.

>Whether you walk to them or they walk into you doesn't matter.

Yes.

>If they see you on 'where' or in the same room but your stalk
>counter doesn't reset itself you've still got a shot.

Maybe. Being spotted eats a lot of your stalk. If you have way more than you need you might still have a chance.

LhydiaSat 09-Feb-13 08:06 AM
2385 posts
#48901, "So resting and sleeping are equally better than standin..."
In response to Reply #5

gr

DaevrynSat 09-Feb-13 09:58 AM
11117 posts
#48902, "RE: So resting and sleeping are equally better than sta..."
In response to Reply #6

Yes, excepting indirect reasons. For example someone who stays asleep for 20 ticks is going to be dead easy to stalk and sneak up on because they're not moving.

IsildurSat 09-Feb-13 11:35 AM
5969 posts
#48905, "RE: So resting and sleeping are equally better than sta..."
In response to Reply #7

I'm really not trying to be obtuse here (I promise!)...just wanting to make sure I understand exactly what you're saying.

You're saying that, all else being equal, the following are true:

1. Attempting to assassinate someone who is resting is more likely to succeed than attempting to assassinate that same person when he is standing.

2. Attempting to assassinate someone who is sleeping is more likely to succeed than attempting to assassinate that same person when he is standing.

3. Attempting to assassinate a person who is sleeping is no more likely to succeed than attempting to assassinate that same person when he is resting.

So if I'm stalking a guy who is fighting mobs and periodically resting, then sleeping, and I want to maximize my chances of success, I should prefer to attempt when he's resting or sleeping but once he rests there's no good reason to wait until he subsequently sleeps.

DaevrynSat 09-Feb-13 03:10 PM
11117 posts
#48906, "RE: So resting and sleeping are equally better than sta..."
In response to Reply #8

No. His position (standing/resting/sleeping) is irrelevant.

LhydiaSat 09-Feb-13 03:13 PM
2385 posts
#48908, "wut?"
In response to Reply #9

Did you just say that there isn't a greater chance of success for assassinate to land on a sleeping/resting victim than if they're standing?

I'm pretty sure if so that's not accurate unless you changed it very recently.

DaevrynSat 09-Feb-13 03:15 PM
11117 posts
#48909, "RE: wut?"
In response to Reply #10

>Did you just say that there isn't a greater chance of success
>for assassinate to land on a sleeping/resting victim than if
>they're standing?

Correct.

To the best of my knowledge there has never been such a factor, and I wrote the code.

ShapaMon 11-Feb-13 06:21 AM
Member since 22nd Jun 2006
252 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48931, "I was always 100% sure when the victim is sleeping it h..."
In response to Reply #11
Edited on Mon 11-Feb-13 06:28 AM

But it only shows that players _simply cannot_ understand how exactly many things work, because often many things can be explained just because of the RNG and luck. And there are no real ways to "test it".

If we would try to go into details of the stalking process including the exact numbers on the different levels of the skill % in assassinate we would see a lot of misinfo from the different players who played many successful assassins as well.

Edited: Often there are "indirect connection/logic". Like .... someone whom you can find sleeping is probably newbier player and the chances that he was trying to catch you using "where", "look" or "who" commands are much lower. Also it probably means that you got a lot/enough stalks on him.

incognitoMon 11-Feb-13 04:49 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48935, "Me too but"
In response to Reply #12

Is it possible that rates improve when victim is slowed? Because there's a correlation btwn that and sleeping.

vargalMon 11-Feb-13 05:47 PM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48936, "Someone who is sleeping can't be spamming where. nt"
In response to Reply #12

nt

ZephonMon 11-Feb-13 12:31 PM
Member since 21st Mar 2007
488 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48934, "You are awesome. ^_^"
In response to Reply #5

Thanks so much for answering these assassinate questions.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #48869 Previous topic | Next topic