Subject: "Conjurer's need something to do in combat at low levels..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #469
Show all folders

ORBSat 22-Mar-03 03:30 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
993 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#469, "Conjurer's need something to do in combat at low levels like shifters recieved!"

Discuss

That which does not kill us,
makes us stronger.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply The line for 'things in combat' starts behind poisoners..., DwE, 23-Mar-03 12:15 PM, #9
Reply The line starts where the designers and coders say it d..., Quislet, 30-Mar-03 10:30 AM, #13
Reply Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?, Valguarnera, 22-Mar-03 04:11 PM, #2
Reply RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?, ORB, 22-Mar-03 04:53 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?, Valguarnera, 22-Mar-03 10:33 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?, ORB, 23-Mar-03 03:18 AM, #6
               Reply Hmm..., Ululari, 23-Mar-03 08:13 AM, #8
Reply magic missile (n/t), Zulghinlour, 22-Mar-03 04:01 PM, #1
     Reply RE: magic missile (n/t), ORB, 22-Mar-03 04:51 PM, #3
          Reply RE: magic missile (n/t), Quislet, 23-Mar-03 07:43 AM, #7
               Reply RE: magic missile (n/t), Blinkdog2003, 24-Mar-03 03:22 AM, #10
               Reply RE: Lowbie Conjurer attacks, Sabiene, 29-Mar-03 03:49 AM, #11
                    Reply RE: Lowbie Conjurer attacks, Quislet, 30-Mar-03 10:18 AM, #12

DwESun 23-Mar-03 12:15 PM
358 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#482, "The line for 'things in combat' starts behind poisoners..."
In response to Reply #0

Kick... kick... kick... kick... kick... kick...

QuisletSun 30-Mar-03 10:30 AM
240 posts
#593, "The line starts where the designers and coders say it d..."
In response to Reply #9

Personally, I'd encourage poisoners to stay as a choice for the players with determination, ingenuity, and patience, rather than a choice for people who'd use it primarily for PK. As it is, it's the sort of thing that makes a good challenge for the skilled while being a total pain for the rest of the playerbase.

Conjurers don't seem to need to be as much of a challenge, and I think could use a little boost in a few places. This would allow more people to play them without much trouble, making the conjurer section of the playerbase more than just the very skilled and the clueless. A few more middle-skill players could be a good thing for a class that looks like it's supposed to be one of the more common mage types.

All this means it's either a good thing or a bad thing I'm not an Imm, and have no influence on these things.

ValguarneraSat 22-Mar-03 04:11 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#472, "Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?"
In response to Reply #0

Given the number of logs I've seen where one person gets completely slaughtered, and the feedback they get is "You need more Äxe! Äxe! Äxe!" I was hoping they'd chime in here.

More lag! Must have more lag!

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

ORBSat 22-Mar-03 04:53 PM
993 posts
#474, "RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?"
In response to Reply #2

Huh?

makes us stronger.

ValguarneraSat 22-Mar-03 10:33 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#475, "RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?"
In response to Reply #4

But you have Äxe! Just wield Äxe! Who needs spells! You'll win!

/cult

A little IMMhumor. FWIW, I don't think conjurers are especially weak at those ranks- Magic Missile is a reasonably potent and cheap offensive spell, and they get Shield Block early.

Is your concern that they aren't potent? Or just one-dimensional?

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

ORBSun 23-Mar-03 03:18 AM
993 posts
#476, "RE: Where the Cült of Äxe when you need them?"
In response to Reply #5

Ahh a refrence to when people where bugging out because conjurer's had axes as a skill? Anyway as far as young conjies, they are just too one dimensional. A little something to spice them up would be nice.

makes us stronger.

UlulariSun 23-Mar-03 08:13 AM
120 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#481, "Hmm..."
In response to Reply #6

They probably should get "conjure rabbit" at level 1, but that shouldn't work in combat, and it's probably very much NOT what you're looking for.

ZulghinlourSat 22-Mar-03 04:01 PM
9792 posts
#471, "magic missile (n/t)"
In response to Reply #0

n/t

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

ORBSat 22-Mar-03 04:51 PM
993 posts
#473, "RE: magic missile (n/t)"
In response to Reply #1

Magic missle starts to get boring by the 100,000 you've typed it. Something small and cool to mix things up for their first 22 levels. And don't say faerie fire!

makes us stronger.

QuisletSun 23-Mar-03 07:43 AM
240 posts
#480, "RE: magic missile (n/t)"
In response to Reply #3

>Magic missle starts to get boring by the 100,000 you've typed
>it. Something small and cool to mix things up for their first
>22 levels. And don't say faerie fire!

Hey, faerie fire doesn't get the respect it deserves, neither does magic missile. Just because they're old doesn't mean they're not worth it.

As for that spicy flavor, the Imms have said before, if you've got an idea on just what that new spell should be, speak up. I should do that more often myself, even if I think some of my ideas suck maybe someone else can add a twist to make them worthwhile.

Blinkdog2003Mon 24-Mar-03 03:22 AM
Member since 24th Mar 2003
1 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#486, "RE: magic missile (n/t)"
In response to Reply #7

Something to spice up conjies at low levels...

I don't know, I've always thought it was a pretty big jump from one small animal as a familiar to full blown elementals.

My thought on this one was that there has to be some way to "work up" to elementals...call it, for lack of a more "groovy" name, minor conjuration. You cast it, you get a single attack from a minor elemental of that type...As an example

c 'minor conjuration' fire

A <insert small fire creature here> answers your bidding and attacks.
Your creature BROILS a novice!
Having served it's purpose, <insert small fire creature here> returns to it's plane.

Ok, so I'm kinda rambling, but you get the idea.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood. - Matthew Stover, "Blade of Tyshalle"

SabieneSat 29-Mar-03 03:49 AM
50 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#560, "RE: Lowbie Conjurer attacks"
In response to Reply #7

>As for that spicy flavor, the Imms have said before, if you've
>got an idea on just what that new spell should be, speak up.
>I should do that more often myself, even if I think some of my
>ideas suck maybe someone else can add a twist to make them
>worthwhile.

Okay. First off, conjurers are into other planar gates and stuff, right? How about these:

Minor Drain (1 round): Opens a brief portal to the negative material plane over the target, causing some hp, mana, and move damage (doesn't heal the caster).

Energy Burst (1 round): A small gate to the positive material plane opens in front of the target, blasting them with raw force. Does minor damage (double versus undead), might blind them (33 percent chance) can possibly knock them out of the room (20 percent chance).

Ethereal Strike (2 rounds): Conjurer opens a short rift to the Ethereal plane at his target that is centered on the middle of its body. The conjurer then sticks his weapon through, effectively striking at their innards and bypassing their armor and defenses.
This can be dodged but can't be parried or shield blocked, basically giving an extra attack that's hard to avoid.

These, along with magic missile, would make a nice complement. What do you think?

QuisletSun 30-Mar-03 10:18 AM
240 posts
#592, "RE: Lowbie Conjurer attacks"
In response to Reply #11

>>As for that spicy flavor, the Imms have said before, if you've
>>got an idea on just what that new spell should be, speak up.
>>I should do that more often myself, even if I think some of my
>>ideas suck maybe someone else can add a twist to make them
>>worthwhile.
>
>Okay. First off, conjurers are into other planar gates and
>stuff, right? How about these:
>
>Minor Drain (1 round): Opens a brief portal to the negative
>material plane over the target, causing some hp, mana, and
>move damage (doesn't heal the caster).

Although this isn't likely to be gained before the teens in level, it could be strategically useful at most levels, that use dependent on how much mana and movement are drained and whether those amounts increase. Mana drain's strategic uses are obvious, but movement drains are good for more than just keeping the target from running. I'm sure there are a few skills that use movement points, though only one comes to mind offhand.

>Energy Burst (1 round): A small gate to the positive material
>plane opens in front of the target, blasting them with raw
>force. Does minor damage (double versus undead), might blind
>them (33 percent chance) can possibly knock them out of the
>room (20 percent chance).

I like the damage increase to undead. I'm not sure about the percent on blinds, but it makes sense. Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of knocking them out of the room, but I can think of a case where that would be a good opening attack in the hopes that it works. In which case, I'd think a higher chance against evils could be nice.

If balanced just right, this spell alone could promote an increase in good aligned conjurers.

>Ethereal Strike (2 rounds): Conjurer opens a short rift to the
>Ethereal plane at his target that is centered on the middle of
>its body. The conjurer then sticks his weapon through,
>effectively striking at their innards and bypassing their
>armor and defenses.
>This can be dodged but can't be parried or shield blocked,
>basically giving an extra attack that's hard to avoid.

Due to that last sentence, I think this spell would be reserved til a relatively high level, at least 30 or so. It's a neat idea anyhow, and I'd expect malediction(s) involved.

>These, along with magic missile, would make a nice complement.
> What do you think?

Me, I like the basic concepts. Any Immortals care to comment?

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #469 Previous topic | Next topic