Subject: "Idea: New command to help RP" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #4601
Show all folders

AdrigonFri 21-May-04 01:00 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
158 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4601, "Idea: New command to help RP"

What I'd like to see (and have seen on some other muds) is a command that alters your long description (the description seen when someone in the same room uses the look command).

POSITION

Syntax: position <text that describes what you do>.

It would always start with the name of the character.

An example would be johnny the tribunal standing on market square of galadon. he types 'position is standing here, gazing out over the city.' The rest of the people would then see:

Johnny is standing here, gazing out over the city.

The position string would be canceled whenever the player changed position (as in, from sitting to standing to sleeping) or walked in the case of standing.

Ralph the paladin could similarly walk into his shrine, use the sit command to emote out that he kneels down by some altar, then change his position so that says that he's kneeling before the altar with his eyes closed and mumbling prayers, or what have you.

It would also be useful if the current long description as set by the position command could be viewed in the score sheet or in a similar way (perhaps by typing position with no argument).

I'm frankly quite surprised it has not been implemented yet But I hope you will. Thank you for reading and an already (too?) great mud.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

LochzanFri 21-May-04 02:08 PM
Member since 24th Mar 2004
58 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4604, "RE: Idea: New command to help RP"
In response to Reply #0
Edited on Fri 21-May-04 02:11 PM

If I am reading this right, the functionality you want was implemented long ago.

For example, lets say Ralph types this:
sleep curls up inside his blanket and falls to sleep

Will display:
Ralpy curls up inside his blanket and falls to sleep.

To everyone in the room. Now this doesnt alter their "short" desc that other people see upon entering, but it does add a lot of creativity. Rest, sleep, sit(most likely) all have this functionality.

Addendum:

If I had to guess I would say the reason you cant alter your character's short desc is because of possible abuse. "stand is here kicking the crap out of imperials". Or possibly more obscene things. This sort of stuff could find itself into a really bad normal description, but it wouldn't be automatically displayed to everyone who enters the room.

AdrigonSat 22-May-04 12:17 PM
158 posts
#4620, "RE: Idea: New command to help RP"
In response to Reply #1

While I am fully aware of the rest/sit/sleep etc commands that is not what my idea was about.

What I wanted was to set the long description. If you are fighting someone your long description is naturally set to that (as I am sure you have noticed) therefore I could not see the "kicking the #### out of" description happening. But as all commands for RP it could be abused, but I doubt it would be.

"Adrigon is leaning against the bar here, a mug of beer in his hand."

ZulghinlourSat 22-May-04 02:01 PM
9792 posts
#4622, "RE: Idea: New command to help RP"
In response to Reply #2

>But as
>all commands for RP it could be abused, but I doubt it would
>be.

I'll fall back to my warcry response. It was an experiment that failed. I see this much in the same vein. This would be similar to being able to create your own title, which also isn't going to happen.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Evil Genius (inactive user)Sat 22-May-04 02:56 PM
Charter member
#4623, "Graham is here MUDSEXXORING U! n/t"
In response to Reply #3

nt

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #4601 Previous topic | Next topic