Subject: "Zombies from player corpse vs NPC zombies" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #40947
Show all folders

Tzaritzawah (Anonymous)Mon 24-Oct-11 01:48 PM
Charter member
#40947, "Zombies from player corpse vs NPC zombies"

After playing a while, I found that zombies that are being made from NPC's are MUCH stronger than zombies that can be made from player's corpses (well, not player, but their characters, but anyways).

But it's a lot harder to produce zombies from the other players (in most cases).

And there is an idea. Why not let necromancers to raise really good zombies (quaggoth/aurumvorax quality) from the corpses that are made by necromancer? Very like dark feast works: if you made a kill, you will benefit from it; if kill is not yours - you will not.

I think it would be interesting, if zombies that are made from other players would be better than guaranteed zombies from NPC's. Perhaps they would do something in combat? Or have resists if they are fire giant or storm giant zombie? Or flying, if they are made of arial? Or have stoneskin, if they are made of svirf?

And etc. I am not asking for more power, no - I'm fine with the zombies that I can make. Just to make it a little more interesting.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Note:, Daevryn, 31-Oct-11 12:11 AM, #13
Reply Dubious about the water restriction, fist-law, 31-Oct-11 04:22 AM, #14
Reply Zombie Whales, Rayihn, 31-Oct-11 06:04 AM, #15
     Reply Personally, I'm a big fan of zombie eels punching me to..., Vortex Magus, 31-Oct-11 07:58 AM, #16
     Reply Well..., fist-law, 31-Oct-11 01:33 PM, #20
          Reply RE: Well..., Daevryn, 31-Oct-11 01:38 PM, #21
               Reply so lazy nt, Dallevian, 31-Oct-11 02:43 PM, #23
               Reply How about..., fist-law, 31-Oct-11 02:48 PM, #24
               Reply weak, Asthiss, 01-Nov-11 04:38 AM, #27
                    Reply RE: weak, Daevryn, 01-Nov-11 08:05 AM, #28
                         Reply "There the easy way, or the right way." nt, Artificial, 01-Nov-11 09:11 AM, #29
                              Reply Confused. Is this some kind of Russian come on? nt, Rayihn, 01-Nov-11 10:01 AM, #30
                                   Reply They have no come-ons, only white bears. nt, Daevryn, 01-Nov-11 10:09 AM, #31
                                        Reply In Soviet Russia, bear turns white only after come-on. ..., Artificial, 01-Nov-11 10:34 AM, #32
                                        Reply Reminds me..., Explosion, 01-Nov-11 03:00 PM, #34
Reply Underwater zombies, Tzaritzawah (Anonymous), 31-Oct-11 12:57 PM, #17
Reply RE: Underwater zombies, Daevryn, 31-Oct-11 12:59 PM, #18
     Reply What a perversion!, Tzaritzawah (Anonymous), 31-Oct-11 01:26 PM, #19
Reply Braaaaains..., Marcus_, 31-Oct-11 02:29 PM, #22
     Reply It would be a special undead with a brain-eating attack..., Explosion, 01-Nov-11 02:53 PM, #33
Reply RE: Zombies from player corpse vs NPC zombies, Daevryn, 24-Oct-11 02:02 PM, #1
     Reply quick and dirty fix, laxman, 24-Oct-11 02:35 PM, #2
     Reply RE: quick and dirty fix, Daevryn, 24-Oct-11 03:24 PM, #3
     Reply It would be oped. Quick fix is here!, Tzaritzawah (Anonymous), 24-Oct-11 03:34 PM, #5
     Reply Considering imms fight at level 60, that would be prett..., Vortex Magus, 24-Oct-11 11:10 PM, #6
          Reply Wrong about mobs level, Tzaritzawah (Anonymous), 25-Oct-11 11:58 AM, #7
     Reply Programmer's quick and dirty fix..., Eskelian, 25-Oct-11 05:44 PM, #8
     Reply I like the idea of class skills and having it be a slid..., laxman, 26-Oct-11 08:29 AM, #9
          Reply And assassin zombie - stalk + assassinate. Yeah. :) nt, Explosion, 26-Oct-11 04:03 PM, #10
          Reply I like the idea of more work for Nep/Zulg too ;). Proba..., Eskelian, 27-Oct-11 01:38 AM, #11
     Reply re: quick and dirty fix, Kalageadon, 01-Nov-11 12:43 AM, #25
          Reply It's all to combat those dastardly OP ragers., TMNS, 01-Nov-11 03:54 AM, #26
     Reply another possible improvement, The Heretic, 24-Oct-11 03:30 PM, #4
          Reply RE: another possible improvement, orangepowered, 28-Oct-11 03:26 PM, #12

DaevrynMon 31-Oct-11 12:11 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#40996, "Note:"
In response to Reply #0

We got to thinking and talking about more ways that what you make a zombie from could affect the abilities of the zombies. I've done a small bit of infrastructure that will make these changes easier in the future, as well as the following changes which are in now or a reboot from now or so:

- In order to have an inventory and/or be able to pick stuff up, a zombie will need "stuff-picking-up appendages", e.g. hands.
- A zombie made from a monster that can't leave water will be unable to leave water.
- A zombie made from a monster that has to remain underwater retains the same restriction.
- PC zombies are currently unaffected.

fist-lawMon 31-Oct-11 04:22 AM
Member since 30th Sep 2011
149 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#40998, "Dubious about the water restriction"
In response to Reply #13

Admittedly, I'm curious where you are heading with this. But, I don't understand the water-zombie limitation. Breathing (or the lack thereof) isn't a problem for a zombie. A zombie clownfish, for instance, is definitely going to use its little, dead flippers to flop itself in range of your carotid artery. At least, that was my understanding.

RayihnMon 31-Oct-11 06:04 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#40999, "Zombie Whales"
In response to Reply #14

You really think zombie whale should be rolling itself down Eastern Road at a clipping pace?

Vortex MagusMon 31-Oct-11 07:58 AM
Member since 20th Apr 2005
400 posts
#41000, "Personally, I'm a big fan of zombie eels punching me to..."
In response to Reply #15

I'm also waiting for zombies of pink gay elephants.

You know you want to.

You already put in unicorns, what more could we ask for?

fist-lawMon 31-Oct-11 01:33 PM
149 posts
#41005, "Well..."
In response to Reply #15

I suppose it's as silly as, say, a necromancer.

But, if we're being critical about the notion of sea life roving around on land...sure, no problem there. Being a zombie takes away pain, fear, the need for oxygen, and most importantly, free will. So, I don't really see a reason why a zombie whale couldn't be caterpillaring its way around the mainland.

DaevrynMon 31-Oct-11 01:38 PM
11117 posts
#41006, "RE: Well..."
In response to Reply #20

Since "your zombie fights like ass on land, and takes 10x as long as anything else to lumber from room to room" takes longer to code and "you just can't take the zombie whale on land" was fast to code, you got #2.

DallevianMon 31-Oct-11 02:43 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1620 posts
#41008, "so lazy nt"
In response to Reply #21

nt

fist-lawMon 31-Oct-11 02:48 PM
149 posts
#41009, "How about..."
In response to Reply #21

You go to your room and work on the damned shaman revamp instead of splitting hairs with zombies! Ass!

AsthissTue 01-Nov-11 04:38 AM
Member since 26th Oct 2004
191 posts
#41012, "weak"
In response to Reply #21

Or what was it you said on the battlefield board?

DaevrynTue 01-Nov-11 08:05 AM
11117 posts
#41013, "RE: weak"
In response to Reply #27

Y'all can blow me.

ArtificialTue 01-Nov-11 09:11 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#41014, ""There the easy way, or the right way." nt"
In response to Reply #28

nt

RayihnTue 01-Nov-11 10:01 AM
Member since 08th Oct 2006
1147 posts
#41015, "Confused. Is this some kind of Russian come on? nt"
In response to Reply #29

nt

DaevrynTue 01-Nov-11 10:09 AM
11117 posts
#41016, "They have no come-ons, only white bears. nt"
In response to Reply #30

(Still one of the funniest posts ever to me.)

ArtificialTue 01-Nov-11 10:34 AM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#41017, "In Soviet Russia, bear turns white only after come-on. ..."
In response to Reply #31

nt

ExplosionTue 01-Nov-11 03:00 PM
Member since 06th Jul 2011
381 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41020, "Reminds me..."
In response to Reply #31

"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being president."

Tzaritzawah (Anonymous)Mon 31-Oct-11 12:57 PM
Charter member
#41002, "Underwater zombies"
In response to Reply #13

But you cannot make zombies underwater (water prevents etc etc etc).
Did you change it and zombies can be made underwater now?

DaevrynMon 31-Oct-11 12:59 PM
11117 posts
#41003, "RE: Underwater zombies"
In response to Reply #17

Correct, but you could pick up the corpse and run for dry land.

Tzaritzawah (Anonymous)Mon 31-Oct-11 01:26 PM
Charter member
#41004, "What a perversion!"
In response to Reply #18

Worthy for a reward, not penalty
Ok, point taken. Sounds reasonable.

Marcus_Mon 31-Oct-11 02:29 PM
681 posts
#41007, "Braaaaains..."
In response to Reply #13

Would be cool if zombies got something for eating brains. I'm just sayin'...

ExplosionTue 01-Nov-11 02:53 PM
381 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41019, "It would be a special undead with a brain-eating attack..."
In response to Reply #22

DaevrynMon 24-Oct-11 02:02 PM
11117 posts
#40948, "RE: Zombies from player corpse vs NPC zombies"
In response to Reply #0

Making PC zombies interesting is a goal I've had in the back of my head for a long time, but which has yet to make it to the top of the to-do list.

I agree that some form of it is something I'd like to see, but it's not something I'm going to work on soon.

laxmanMon 24-Oct-11 02:35 PM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#40949, "quick and dirty fix"
In response to Reply #1

Maybe let zombies from PC corpses wield a weapon and wear up to 3 pieces of gear? I figure you can use most of the golem code to do that. A horde of zombies with prayer beads... hehe (yeah I know align restriction but cool)

DaevrynMon 24-Oct-11 03:24 PM
11117 posts
#40950, "RE: quick and dirty fix"
In response to Reply #2

That's so not quick, even if it is dirty.

Tzaritzawah (Anonymous)Mon 24-Oct-11 03:34 PM
Charter member
#40952, "It would be oped. Quick fix is here!"
In response to Reply #2

To reuse dark feast algorythm, if it's possible and if it fired - make corpse +20 levels (so it will be 71 max), 50 leve for 30th level of the player and etc.

Dunno if it's a quick fix though, but surely quicker than making weapon-armor using zombies, and not so unbalanced.

Vortex MagusMon 24-Oct-11 11:10 PM
Member since 20th Apr 2005
400 posts
#40954, "Considering imms fight at level 60, that would be prett..."
In response to Reply #5
Edited on Mon 24-Oct-11 11:10 PM

I was thinking maybe +5 levels to corpse maximum, (for level 56 max zombies, similar to strong npc zombies but not quite as powerful as the best ones) and then add some cool flavor stuff.

If you killed fortress guy yourself and then raised his corpse, and fought evil characters with the zombie, he occasionally prog some sexy fire echoes and do fire damage instead of punch, or .

If you killed scion mage yourself and then raised his corpse, he prog interesting shadow echoes on command and gives the necro a buff from the shadow plane - maybe extra dam redux against negative or something that is very interesting from an RP perspective and very limited from a PK perspective.

You could also add drawbacks to certain zombies, too. Fort zombie explodes in a cascade of flame after a certain time with the necro, blasting everyone in the room. Zombie of a thirsted rager will eventually start attacking everything you walk past.

Stuff like that. It would make player zombies more interesting but not overpowered. You'd still use unicorns or whatever if you wanted max power, since you can do better than level 57 zombies, but you could get some cool RP opportunities and flavor from each corpse that might outweigh small power considerations.

Tzaritzawah (Anonymous)Tue 25-Oct-11 11:58 AM
Charter member
#40957, "Wrong about mobs level"
In response to Reply #6

Unicorns are 62, firedrakes higher. There are plenty of regular mobs of 60th level that are very easy to kill, and they are not supreme zombies.

When you are making undead, it's level is slightly lower than of original in most cases. And players are far more difficult to kill than those 60th level mobs.

56 level corpse will give you 52-55 level zombie (I think), so it will be weaker than usual mobs (even storm lieutenants/commander).

EskelianTue 25-Oct-11 05:44 PM
2023 posts
#40960, "Programmer's quick and dirty fix..."
In response to Reply #2

Level + 10 for PC corpses and + extra damroll.

Would sword-spec zombies be cool? Yeah but lets face it, that's hard to balance and get right and it's not really necessary.

laxmanWed 26-Oct-11 08:29 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#40961, "I like the idea of class skills and having it be a slid..."
In response to Reply #8

So maybe have like 4 tiers of zombie and 4 classes (melee, rogue, priest, mage that or make one for each class)

Tiers could just rip off the A-P charge equation so if you make a zombie from a really super powered char you get a sick zombie but if you pop joe herald its nothing really special.

so lets just use a thief as an example

weak thief = bag of tricks, dirt kick
medium thief = above + trip, gouge
disgusting awsome thief = above + circle, cheap shot.

ExplosionWed 26-Oct-11 04:03 PM
381 posts
#40962, "And assassin zombie - stalk + assassinate. Yeah. :) nt"
In response to Reply #9

EskelianThu 27-Oct-11 01:38 AM
2023 posts
#40964, "I like the idea of more work for Nep/Zulg too ;). Proba..."
In response to Reply #9

n/t

KalageadonTue 01-Nov-11 12:43 AM
Member since 23rd Oct 2003
1044 posts
#41010, "re: quick and dirty fix"
In response to Reply #2

Having fought a zombie horde where one of them was wielding the Pincer staff, I personally don't like the idea of a pc running around with more npc's using gear, namely progging gear.

TMNSTue 01-Nov-11 03:54 AM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
#41011, "It's all to combat those dastardly OP ragers."
In response to Reply #25

Because it's not like several mages have had 200+ pk wins recently

The HereticMon 24-Oct-11 03:30 PM
212 posts
#40951, "another possible improvement"
In response to Reply #1

If the corpse is of a player that would be worth some AP charges, the zombie retains some memory of its life. It would have all the skills of the class and fight like a stupid mob of that class. A 1 or 2 charge zombie would do next to nothing. A 10 charge zombie would go ape####. Perhaps give the necro the ability to tell how strong the zombie would be.

orangepoweredFri 28-Oct-11 03:26 PM
Member since 29th Jun 2011
347 posts
#40977, "RE: another possible improvement"
In response to Reply #4

Because Tavlin wasn't powerful enough as it was, lets have dirt/bash/trip/disarm zombies? This is kind of overboard.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #40947 Previous topic | Next topic