Subject: "Pre-retrieving" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #37314
Show all folders

The HereticSat 12-Mar-11 01:26 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
212 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37314, "Pre-retrieving"

Lowbies around 30 make it a habit to attack an opponent's outer during a raid of their own cabal. Lowbie retrieving isn't anything to complain about, but placing an item and having it instantly returned to the other cabal is.

I suggest giving the outer guardian a restore when an item is given to the inner.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Pre-retrieving, Daevryn, 12-Mar-11 10:53 PM, #5
Reply Although what I don't like, incognito, 13-Mar-11 03:49 AM, #6
     Reply thats the nature of evil without rules, laxman, 13-Mar-11 08:14 AM, #7
     Reply RE: Although what I don't like, Isildur, 13-Mar-11 08:27 AM, #8
          Reply RE: Although what I don't like, Straklaw, 13-Mar-11 10:48 PM, #9
Reply Disagree., Homard, 12-Mar-11 02:28 PM, #2
Reply Agree, Lokain, 12-Mar-11 02:53 PM, #3
Reply Not a bad thing, The Heretic, 12-Mar-11 04:02 PM, #4
Reply cosign. nt, Artificial, 12-Mar-11 01:28 PM, #1

DaevrynSat 12-Mar-11 10:53 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37323, "RE: Pre-retrieving"
In response to Reply #0

Maybe your cabal should try to recruit/retain some midlevel guys?

I don't think your idea is a good one for several reasons, most of which were already raised by others.

incognitoSun 13-Mar-11 03:49 AM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37325, "Although what I don't like"
In response to Reply #5

Is when heroes don't defend against very reasonable odds (e.g. 1 v 1), and then don't try to retrieve, but then send midbies to do it.

It's mostly a problem when you're a scion because you probably don't have midbies yourself and if you're not the leader you don't necessarily know who the apps are. (I know it's sad that the apps aren't making themselves more obvious, but there you go.)

laxmanSun 13-Mar-11 08:14 AM
Member since 18th Aug 2003
1867 posts
Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#37327, "thats the nature of evil without rules"
In response to Reply #6

If you are evil you are really only concerned about your own self intrests. Letting the general public know you are a scion applicant is more a draw back than it is an advantage in practice (especially during times of dubious leadership). And the leaders by and large are ok with applicants being deceptive.

All of those things come together to explain why most applicants keep that fact a secret from all but the select few they think could aide them in getting what they want.

Psh scions even try and do it after they get inducted if they can get away with it. So many scions heroed by empire in that manner.

IsildurSun 13-Mar-11 08:27 AM
5969 posts
#37328, "RE: Although what I don't like"
In response to Reply #6

1v1 isn't always reasonable depending on the two characters involved.

StraklawSun 13-Mar-11 10:48 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#37332, "RE: Although what I don't like"
In response to Reply #8

IMHO, it's generally unlikely you can't make an ATTEMPT in 90-95% of 1v1 situations. Are you likely to win? Maybe not, but I honestly can't think of a TON of people that I don't have a reasonable shot of trying, and then running away if I must.

HomardSat 12-Mar-11 02:28 PM
Member since 10th Apr 2010
959 posts
#37316, "Disagree."
In response to Reply #0

Right now, if your cabal is raided, you have the choice to defend or start on the outer. If you choose the latter, the raiders now must decide whether to commit fully to the raid, or peel off some of their group to deal with you. A restore when an item is handed over will reduce the amount of thought that needs to be put into strategy, and that is, in my opinion, a bad thing.

Furthermore, it opens the door to this:

Village has the Key. You are a young Nexun who has the giant down to convulsing when they down the scepter. Boom. Giant is at full health. You start again and have the giant down to writhing when they down the Codex. Giant's at full health again.

I would rather see raiders frustrated by the fact that they can't stop a lowbie retrieval than see retrievers frustrated by healing the outer in this manner. The retreiver is already at a disadvantage and I think this suggestion only serves to make the rich richer by giving another advantage to a group that clearly already has an advantage.

LokainSat 12-Mar-11 02:53 PM
Member since 03rd Jul 2009
173 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#37318, "Agree"
In response to Reply #2

It also helps balance the game when one cabal had ridiculous power at the hero end. If the midranks had a harder time being a factor in the cabal wars it would only further the imbalances of the game.

The HereticSat 12-Mar-11 04:02 PM
212 posts
#37320, "Not a bad thing"
In response to Reply #2

It would encourage cabals to take more items. It would give heroes a way to 'fight' a lowbie raider. Raiding another cabal to restore the outer is not an insignificant undertaking. Who is actually doing more work, the lowbie or the heroes? It would add another dimension to defending against a counter-raid. Not a bad thing at all.

At 35 and up, melee classes can down an outer without too much trouble. At 30 it might take a pair. A restore will not stop them but it will slow them down.

Just as important though is time the enemy doesn't have their powers. Without a restore they suffer no loss from a raid. With the restore there might be a few hours without powers. There would be a reward to the raid even if the item will be reclaimed after a few hours.

I don't disagree with the tactics you point out. But I disagree that it is a bad thing.

ArtificialSat 12-Mar-11 01:28 PM
Member since 22nd Apr 2008
1180 posts
#37315, "cosign. nt"
In response to Reply #0

nt

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #37314 Previous topic | Next topic