Subject: ""Botting"" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3398
Show all folders

AbthalokMon 05-Jan-04 10:29 PM
Member since 04th Dec 2003
36 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3398, ""Botting""

Most classes have skills/spells which they rely on to be working with as much frequency as possible. Some of these skills/spells need to be perfected to reach the next level in skill/spell progression. Is it really belived that botting is not used? Is there some level of toleration for botting? Do these classes enjoy more lienecy than others? I find it really hard to belive that someone hand spams a 7 path invoker with 7 masteries without having some form of mental illness.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply From help botting, Zulghinlour, 05-Jan-04 11:35 PM, #2
Reply RE:, Isildur, 05-Jan-04 11:14 PM, #1
     Reply RE: Turing tests., Valguarnera, 06-Jan-04 05:48 PM, #3
          Reply RE: Turing tests., Isildur, 06-Jan-04 07:06 PM, #4
          Reply RE: Turing tests., Valguarnera, 06-Jan-04 10:21 PM, #5
          Reply RE: Turing tests., Zargu, 07-Jan-04 02:36 AM, #6

ZulghinlourMon 05-Jan-04 11:35 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
9792 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3401, "From help botting"
In response to Reply #0

An excerpt from 'help rules':

"Using your client to play for you (botting), while ignoring everything
else going on around you is not roleplaying, and you will be punished
as such."

That pretty much sums up the botting question. Can you use a client to use triggers to help you practice. Yes. Can you use a client to do everything for you without interacting with anything else? Until you get caught and slain/denied for botting.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

IsildurMon 05-Jan-04 11:14 PM
5969 posts
#3400, "RE:"
In response to Reply #0

Think of it like a Turing test. If another player, possibly immortal, can interact with your character and come away thinking there's a congizant human being playing him then you're probably okay.

If they come away thinking you're a bot, then you're probably not.

ValguarneraTue 06-Jan-04 05:48 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3411, "RE: Turing tests."
In response to Reply #1

Yup. Any Immortal who has the ability to snoop and echo has more than enough ways to tell the difference between a person and a script. Heck, any mortal who enters the room can probably tell as well.

There's no rule concerning triggers/etc., but there is one about roleplaying. The botting rule is best thought of as an extension of that rule.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

IsildurTue 06-Jan-04 06:50 PM
5969 posts
#3413, "RE: Turing tests."
In response to Reply #3
Edited on Tue 06-Jan-04 07:06 PM

I've always been curious about how tolerant the staff is towards spammed commands. If I spam ten castings of a spell and a mob starts talking to me right after the first...am I going to be considered a bot if I don't respond immediately?

ValguarneraTue 06-Jan-04 10:21 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3415, "RE: Turing tests."
In response to Reply #4

Gray area, though 10 is clearly on the safe side.

If you have, say, 50 commands in your queue, it's going to be very hard for you to be interactive or vaguely 'human'. I don't have a hard number in mind, but it's probably a good idea from an RP standpoint to make sure you're at least semi-responsive. If you're at the keyboard, spamming large batches isn't a big time saver over medium batches anyway.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

ZarguWed 07-Jan-04 02:36 AM
Member since 06th Mar 2003
208 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#3416, "RE: Turing tests."
In response to Reply #3

Yep, recently my newbie mage stood somewhere practicing a spell via some script, i was sitting right next to my terminal reading, when i got this tell

Someone tells you "Hello".

When i replied to the tell, no one was there, so my guess is that it was an immortal that just wanted to see if i botted or not?!

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #3398 Previous topic | Next topic