Subject: "Neo paladin helpfiles are mostly missing still" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #31814
Show all folders

AdrigonWed 14-Apr-10 06:42 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
158 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31814, "Neo paladin helpfiles are mostly missing still"

Fend, Marshal, defy, intensify, respond, ascend etc.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Had the champion help files saved:, Calion, 17-Apr-10 12:06 PM, #13
Reply Added! Looking for the Monk helpfiles:, Valguarnera, 17-Apr-10 12:16 PM, #14
Reply Wait, people are still playing neo-paladins? Wow. ~, _Magus_, 14-Apr-10 01:09 PM, #1
     Reply Probably just people like me., Straklaw, 14-Apr-10 01:44 PM, #2
     Reply RE: Wait, people are still playing neo-paladins? Wow. ~, Daevryn, 14-Apr-10 01:56 PM, #3
     Reply RE: Wait, people are still playing neo-paladins? Wow. ~, Doge, 15-Apr-10 09:58 AM, #11
          Reply RE: Wait, people are still playing neo-paladins? Wow. ~, Daevryn, 15-Apr-10 09:59 AM, #12
     Reply I travelled with two lowbie champions., Dervish, 14-Apr-10 04:24 PM, #4
          Reply I've played sub 20 champs, Pro, 14-Apr-10 04:50 PM, #5
               Reply RE: I've played sub 20 champs, Daevryn, 14-Apr-10 04:56 PM, #6
                    Reply My Take, Straklaw, 14-Apr-10 06:42 PM, #7
                    Reply My fear would be..., Pro, 14-Apr-10 07:47 PM, #8
                    Reply Honestly, it seems like Valg produced neo-paladins..., _Magus_, 14-Apr-10 10:02 PM, #9
                         Reply RE: Honestly, it seems like Valg produced neo-paladins...., Daevryn, 14-Apr-10 10:11 PM, #10

CalionSat 17-Apr-10 12:06 PM
367 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31877, "Had the champion help files saved:"
In response to Reply #0

(Also for the forum admins: if this message was a bit longer I got a "You don't have posting access" error...)

BAT
Syntax: bat

Executing a quick strike with their staff or the haft of their polearm, a champion deals minor damage to their opponent. Depending on where this strike lands, it may leave short lingering effects. This strike can be executed slightly more quickly by champions who are quick, wise, and skilled in the technique.

Additionally, as an automatic ability, paladins who know this skill and are wielding a staff or polearm have a chance to respond to several kinds of attacks that target their weapon or hands with a retaliatory batting strike. This works less well if the champion can't see their attacker.

FEND
Syntax: fend

By utilizing the reach of a staff or polearm, a champion attempts to push back their foes and re-establish their footing and position. A paladin who successfully fends off his opponents defends himself more ably against them for a short time. Additionally, as the paladin advances in levels and becomes more proficient with this skill, they gain a chance to strike at those they fend as well.

MANEUVER
Syntax: maneuver <victim> <direction>

Using the reach of their staff or polearm tactically, a champion attempts to maneuver their target into an adjacent room. This can either be done offensively or to get an ally to safely; the latter will still deal some damage to them.

Maneuver can be used to initiate combat, but works less effectively when used in this way.

MARSHAL
Syntax: marshal regroup <direction>
marshal forefront
marshal rally
marshal phalanx

A champion can use their abilities as a battle commander along with the reach of their staff or polearm to change the flow of battle. A champion who is wise and charismatic will find they are more able to make good use of this skill.

Regroup: The champion attempts an orderly retreat from battle. Ushering his groupmates in the chosen direction, he interposes himself between his allies and their opponents, taking blows meant for them as they flee combat. Should any of the paladin's allies be unable to regroup with him, the attempt will fail.

Forefront: The champion maneuvers into the vanguard of the battle, attempting to take blows meant for all of his companions. Should his enemies attempt to strike around him following a forefront, the paladin has a chance to land punishing blows in response.

Rally: The champion attempts to raise the morale of his group and rally them to make more attacks. This works better in dire situations.

Phalanx: The champion attempts to organize the defense of his group, enabling them to better defend themselves and giving him a chance to defend his groupmates.

ValguarneraSat 17-Apr-10 12:13 PM
6904 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31878, "Added! Looking for the Monk helpfiles:"
In response to Reply #13
Edited on Sat 17-Apr-10 12:16 PM

I didn't draft them, so I don't still have a copy.

Avoid 10
Transcend 20
Defy 23
Respond 25
Intensify 30
Ascend 31
Anticipate 35

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

_Magus_Wed 14-Apr-10 01:09 PM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31818, "Wait, people are still playing neo-paladins? Wow. ~"
In response to Reply #0

nt

StraklawWed 14-Apr-10 01:44 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#31819, "Probably just people like me."
In response to Reply #1

Convinced they can make it work. *fistshake Daevryn* I blame Daevryn's sandman edge for my attempt at a full trapper/poisoner. Needless to say, it didn't work out too well for me.

DaevrynWed 14-Apr-10 01:56 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#31820, "RE: Wait, people are still playing neo-paladins? Wow. ~"
In response to Reply #1

It's not like they haven't been adjusted at all since the first draft.

DogeThu 15-Apr-10 09:58 AM
Member since 02nd Apr 2003
117 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31852, "RE: Wait, people are still playing neo-paladins? Wow. ~"
In response to Reply #3

Speaking of that, any dedication focus edges being planned? I think that would help them. At least when I think of the benefits current edges can give for shield/2h deds.

DaevrynThu 15-Apr-10 09:59 AM
11117 posts
#31853, "RE: Wait, people are still playing neo-paladins? Wow. ~"
In response to Reply #11

I was actually starting to work on that when we lost the server.

I think it's something Valg would like to work on now that he's back, once he stops having parties for orcs.

DervishWed 14-Apr-10 04:13 PM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#31822, "I travelled with two lowbie champions."
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Wed 14-Apr-10 04:24 PM

Judging by what I saw while ranking they suck

Thats from some limited experience and of course can be wrong.

ProWed 14-Apr-10 04:50 PM
Member since 14th Apr 2010
776 posts
#31824, "I've played sub 20 champs"
In response to Reply #4

And the better distance is noticable but now "wow". Didn't see anything "wow" about theor improved skills either.

Never did try the Marshal set of skills, and those turn me of to the class. The reason they do is because Storms have the lowest charisma next to dwarves of the Paladin races and it seems like the whole reason to take the dedication. I wouldn't want to play anything other than a storm champ, but it's another class set that favors elves.

At least so it seems.

DaevrynWed 14-Apr-10 04:56 PM
11117 posts
#31825, "RE: I've played sub 20 champs"
In response to Reply #5

A 19 chr on a champion is far from the end of the world. Honest!

I kinda think storm is probably the best race for it.

StraklawWed 14-Apr-10 06:42 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
1014 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#31826, "My Take"
In response to Reply #6

I've tried one here and there, and I happened to travel with Magnis a lot right before the 5th Age. I definitely think there's something to be said about elf Champion. Sadly, human doesn't have quite the appeal I'd hoped for, and storm has some situations in which it's ridiculous.

I have to agree that the majority of their skills lack a certain "wow" to them. I think in part, this is due to the fact of their being an "active" defense. You spend your time working those moves, and it ends up feeling more like a shapeshifter spamming bite or rake 3,000 times.

On the flip side though, I've also seen some damned cool things about them, that I don't think a lot of people have gotten the opportunity to see. I also think there's a lot of situations where they're not quite "buggy", but because of some of their skills, what they can do is rather limited compared to what it might be.

ProWed 14-Apr-10 07:47 PM
Member since 14th Apr 2010
776 posts
#31830, "My fear would be..."
In response to Reply #6

That there seem to be "large" differences between 23 stats and 24 stats, so why wouldn't I expect that from a 19 to a 21?

I'm obsessive compulsive about number crunching so it's a thang with me.

_Magus_Wed 14-Apr-10 10:02 PM
Member since 05th Dec 2006
430 posts
#31838, "Honestly, it seems like Valg produced neo-paladins..."
In response to Reply #6

You know, the whole, "make everything underpowered until we realize it is too underpowered, then juice it up little by little, just to be safe" thing.

If I'm going through the trouble (trouble to some, fun to others) of empowerment, I better get some beefy skills as a reward. I want to put in the RP time and get the PK rewards. And thus far, I haven't seen much in the way of deathful polearm or h2h paladins; shield and two-handed have proven their deathfulness.

Is there any way to come up with some rough PK figures for neo-paladins at the various level stages (increments of 10)? Just looking for winning PK records.

DaevrynWed 14-Apr-10 10:11 PM
11117 posts
#31839, "RE: Honestly, it seems like Valg produced neo-paladins...."
In response to Reply #9

I'm reluctant to dig for figures because I haven't seen much of either being played seriously since the last time I tinkered with them.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #31814 Previous topic | Next topic