Subject: "Can we take a vote to remove stoneshatter from mobs? Th..." Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #31365
Show all folders

_Magus_guest (Guest)Wed 17-Mar-10 10:58 AM

#31365, "Can we take a vote to remove stoneshatter from mobs? Thanks."

No, really. I'd like to see the stoneshatter spell removed from mobs. Highly annoying. Sort of like when dragons used to burn gear. Really, really annoying.

Or you have to constantly remove stone items--which is as equally gay as mobs having stoneshatter in the first place.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Don't forget shapeshifters, Valkenar, 18-Mar-10 08:06 AM, #6
Reply Eh, Guy (Guest), 17-Mar-10 04:28 PM, #4
Reply Yeah... Have you tried going through 2 certain duergar ..., Arrna (Guest), 18-Mar-10 03:06 PM, #7
Reply RE: Can we take a vote to remove stoneshatter from mobs..., Daevryn, 17-Mar-10 11:20 AM, #1
     Reply RE: Can we take a vote to remove stoneshatter from mobs..., Splntrd, 17-Mar-10 03:52 PM, #2
          Reply It's different because you can remove stuff, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 17-Mar-10 04:01 PM, #3
          Reply In one sense I agree, in another I don't..., Arrna (Guest), 18-Mar-10 03:12 PM, #8
               Reply What about making them temporary affects?~, ibuki, 18-Mar-10 04:36 PM, #9
               Reply Idea for dent, Valkenar, 18-Mar-10 04:58 PM, #10
               Reply RE: Idea for dent, Daevryn, 18-Mar-10 06:22 PM, #11
                    Reply Make dent one round, JMCCC (Guest), 18-Mar-10 08:11 PM, #13
                    Reply RE: Idea for dent, Isildur, 19-Mar-10 12:11 AM, #15
                    Reply More or less intentional, Valkenar, 19-Mar-10 08:31 AM, #16
               Reply I imagine that is because, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 18-Mar-10 07:53 PM, #12
               Reply RE: In one sense I agree, in another I don't..., Isildur, 19-Mar-10 12:09 AM, #14
          Reply EQ burning was removed LONG before the dragon lairs wer..., trewyn, 17-Mar-10 11:37 PM, #5

ValkenarThu 18-Mar-10 08:06 AM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
1203 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31381, "Don't forget shapeshifters"
In response to Reply #0

Stoneshattering mobs have a significant impact on shifters. I can see removing the eq destruction aspect of it, but the damage-if-stoneskinned aspect should remain.

Guy (Guest)Wed 17-Mar-10 04:28 PM

#31373, "Eh"
In response to Reply #0

Stoneshatter is annoying, but you can just.. remove the stone.

Now dent.. I do wish mobs didn't dent. At least not mundane random guard #129837123786. Its not so bad when its Sauron Lord of the Mace of your favorite crown crumbling, makes killing him all the sweeter.

Arrna (Guest)Thu 18-Mar-10 03:06 PM

#31383, "Yeah... Have you tried going through 2 certain duergar ..."
In response to Reply #4

... PAINFUL if you have dentable gear... As Arrna me and my group lost like 80% of our gear going through 1/10 of one of those areas. And we were raping the mobs. Just couldn't disarm quickly enough when we faced a 3-6 patrol group...

DaevrynWed 17-Mar-10 11:20 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31367, "RE: Can we take a vote to remove stoneshatter from mobs..."
In response to Reply #0

I'm not really in favor of this.

SplntrdWed 17-Mar-10 03:52 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31370, "RE: Can we take a vote to remove stoneshatter from mobs..."
In response to Reply #1
Edited on Wed 17-Mar-10 03:52 PM

I'm not really for or against it, but in what way is stoneshatter different from eq burning (which was removed not too long ago) that would make you want to keep stoneshatter but do away with eq burning?

I agree that "stoneshatter is annoying" may not be a strong enough argument unto itself to justify its removal. But I always thought the reason eq burning was removed was to encourage people to explore the new dragon lairs; the same argument could be used for stoneshatter.

Splntrd

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Wed 17-Mar-10 04:01 PM

#31372, "It's different because you can remove stuff"
In response to Reply #2

And I don't see what you can't deal with the consequences of that.

It is also one of the perks of vokers.

Arrna (Guest)Thu 18-Mar-10 03:12 PM

#31384, "In one sense I agree, in another I don't..."
In response to Reply #3

... The past year I've met at least 4 different hero invokers that each time they've faced me just spammed stoneshatter until they get the desired gear to explode, or realize that I ain't wearing it before they word out... And that sucks.

BUT, using it as a tactical weapon (not as a one-trick pony thing) is a perk for invokers, and should be. The few hours Arrna had a certain piece of gear she REALLY was on her toes when invokers were about. And with the certain restrictions of that item made it a real tactical choice when to wear and not to wear it. (Add in a thief with that invoker...) I had that piece of gear stolen from me no less than 3 times due to removing it to save it from stoneshatter.

So it's both a good element of tactical diversity and it has the potential for griefing bastards.

Just as dent is for mace specs. (Denting those strange bracers, or that heavy piece of gear that give much -AC for the gates of the forge warrior you're facing.)

It's a two-edged sword... If the griefing aspect could be removed form both and yet keep the tactical diversity... That would be great!

ibukiThu 18-Mar-10 04:36 PM
Member since 30th Oct 2005
122 posts
Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31386, "What about making them temporary affects?~"
In response to Reply #8

~

ValkenarThu 18-Mar-10 04:58 PM
1203 posts
#31387, "Idea for dent"
In response to Reply #8

Instead of destroying gear it renders the gear useless (functions as an empty slot) but unremovable (a-la web) for a moderate amount of time long time (15-30 ticks). And giving a +ac penalty (proportional to size of thing dented).

This removes the griefing aspect of being able to trash someone's gear, while remaining somewhat useful in rare circumstances. It'll still be annoying (who wants to spend 20 minutes unable to wear half a suit of armor) but not too horrible.

DaevrynThu 18-Mar-10 06:22 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#31388, "RE: Idea for dent"
In response to Reply #10

I honestly can't see a use for that version. It's almost always easy to avoid your enemies for that long if you want to. You'd probably have to make half of someone's gear useless for that long with each use of the skill for it to be useful, not one piece.

JMCCC (Guest)Thu 18-Mar-10 08:11 PM

#31391, "Make dent one round"
In response to Reply #11

And targettable (maybe?).

There are clear items that people want to dent - strange bracers, +str/+dex items are clear favorites. With a mace spec, boneshatter = king.

IsildurFri 19-Mar-10 12:11 AM
5969 posts
#31393, "RE: Idea for dent"
In response to Reply #11

You could make it have extra effects maybe, above and beyond nuking the armor's stats. Imagine having your leg coated in platemail, then that platemail getting crushed like an egg crate. Its probably going to mess up your mobility a little.

Of course, then it just becomes a little mini-boneshatter or mini-hack. Which doesn't have much flare.

ValkenarFri 19-Mar-10 08:31 AM
1203 posts
#31399, "More or less intentional"
In response to Reply #11

>I honestly can't see a use for that version. It's almost
>always easy to avoid your enemies for that long if you want
>to. You'd probably have to make half of someone's gear
>useless for that long with each use of the skill for it to be
>useful, not one piece.

My suggestion made dent intentionally weak to match how weak it is now. Mace is a good spec, and dent is a crappy skill, so boosting dent to make it more useful didn't seem right. Really the state of dent as it is doesn't bother me enough think it needs changing.

That said, I think my version is comparable. With regular dent you'll be lucky to hit something that takes 15-30 ticks to replace and they can easily replace it with *something* else. It's a valid criticism to say that my version removes dent's main use, which is to keep uber-geared liches off my back because killing me isn't worth the risk of having an elite set messed with.

But in a nutshell, the tradeoff is that dent would lose some utility against people wearing mostly-uber gear (the one purpose it has now, seemingly), and gain some unique tactical utility against anyone who cares about ac (not many people).

Finally, surely you're not serious that it would need to do half to be fair. Half of someone's gear is a big, big maladiction. That's going to be 100hp, 10str, lots of saves. And it essentially targets whatever they value most (by virtue of the fact that they chose to wear it). If you boneshatter and then nullify half someone's gear, that seems quite strong. I'm sure you were being hyperbolic, but don't ignore that gear mashing represents a non-negligible maladiction even for just a couple pieces.

What do you see as dent's role now?

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Thu 18-Mar-10 07:53 PM

#31390, "I imagine that is because"
In response to Reply #8

You probably used stoneskin preps.
You were fairly gear orientated, and hard to kill. So it's one of the few deterrents.

IsildurFri 19-Mar-10 12:09 AM
5969 posts
#31392, "RE: In one sense I agree, in another I don't..."
In response to Reply #8

I just never wear stone/gem gear. Problem solved.

trewynWed 17-Mar-10 11:37 PM
Member since 04th Jan 2005
269 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31379, "EQ burning was removed LONG before the dragon lairs wer..."
In response to Reply #2

They removed that while the blue dragon was still offering his skin to goodies.

I personally have nothing against eq destroying mobs. Too many people on this game are eq dependent for my tastes.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #31365 Previous topic | Next topic