Subject: "OOC connections" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #30365
Show all folders

_Magus_2 (Guest)Mon 25-Jan-10 10:53 AM

#30365, "OOC connections"

So recently, someone on the other forum mentioned something about ooc groups or connections that people have. I can honestly say that I'm one of the farthest perpetrators of this rule. There's like four people that I will talk to about once a week or less, sometimes much less. And I've certainly never coordinated a perma group with any of them. At least, nothing beyond showing a new player around.

So I just assume that OOC group's and connections aren't that big of a deal. This is probably because of my own experiences.

My question to the Immstaff: Do you guys watch with any sort of regularity for people violating OOC connections? And do you feel it is a problem, like some players suggest it is?

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply I dare say I don't know anyone outside of the game., Pro (Guest), 25-Jan-10 03:35 PM, #4
Reply As far as I'm aware, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 25-Jan-10 02:33 PM, #2
Reply RE: As far as I'm aware, Asyguest (Guest), 25-Jan-10 02:57 PM, #3
Reply RE: As far as I'm aware, ranger101 (Guest), 25-Jan-10 06:09 PM, #5
     Reply Watching out will be easy, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 25-Jan-10 06:28 PM, #6
     Reply RE: Watching out will be easy, Onewinged_guest (Guest), 27-Jan-10 10:32 PM, #7
     Reply Yeah, back in the day..., trewyn, 28-Jan-10 02:33 AM, #8
Reply RE: OOC connections, Daevryn, 25-Jan-10 11:00 AM, #1

Pro (Guest)Mon 25-Jan-10 03:35 PM

#30376, "I dare say I don't know anyone outside of the game."
In response to Reply #0

I have talked to them in the past but since the FTA clan, I can't remember sharing information in 10 years or so.

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Mon 25-Jan-10 02:33 PM

#30373, "As far as I'm aware"
In response to Reply #0

No one has a problem with someone showing a new player around. Showing a new player around doesn't create an unfair playing field in anyone's eyes; at least, I don't recall anyone mentioning having an issue with that.

What some people have an issue with, but others think makes things more fun, is:
- going with your friends to get high end gear.
- pk'ing with your friends
- inducting your friends (and trust me, I've been asked to do this)
- passing gear to friends when you delete (and I've been offered this in return for induction of a new character).

So whilst I said no, I suspect that the fact these offers are made mean that others say yes.

What I think everyone would agree is cheating, but actually happens on occasion, is where a friend logs on to do something like:
- wake a character that got slept
- spring an ambush at the inner on a bunch of people raiding their online friend (assuming they logged off there)
- flag someone who committed a crime against their friend
- ally with someone they shouldn't be to mutual advantage.

Problem is, you can't usually tell what's genuine coincidence, legit interaction, and what's not, unless they are stupid and forget to send a message on the cabal channel, or some other ic means.

I mean, I've had regular contact with Death Claw, Larcat, and Isildur over the years, and in all cases we pretty much treat each other as if we didn't know who was who. (e.g. Isildur killed my conjie, left my gear, much as he does with anyone else). I killed Larcat's ragers a couple of times with my necro. Death Claw and I tended to be on the same side more often, so we just didn't travel together. I think we only did one joint pk ever, and that was because the person I was chasing from the Araile Desert ran into Hamsah where DC was, and both of us tried to finish him off (unnplanned).

Asyguest (Guest)Mon 25-Jan-10 02:57 PM

#30374, "RE: As far as I'm aware"
In response to Reply #2

I don't think people should have to alter their behavior to avoid playing with their friends. I've played with and against people I know outside the game and I don't think I make a lot of exceptions either way. The fact that I know the person behind the character isn't going to make me any less willing to help them get gear or gank you down if that's something my character would do.

I hate that CF has become a game in which the social aspect is taboo. There seems to be this stigma that if you know any of the people on your side you must be cheating, and if you know any of your enemies they must be going on on you, or the other way around.

It may not be a popular opinion, but if I log on in the evening after work and I can't find a group because my range sucks or everyone is busy doing cabal stuff, etc., I'll ask around for a group. It's a ####ing game and I want to make some progress, not sit around with my thumb up my ass or work twice as long/hard for the same progress by soloing or something like that.

I definitely think there is a distinct line between "playing the game with other people" and hard core cheating. Obviously, calling for help over AIM when you get slept, asking for (or giving) inductions, passing equipment, etc. is all very lame. Treating the game like a game and actually deriving some enjoyment out of it by using other players for ranking, exploration, etc. doesn't bother me a bit, especially when their characters are well RPd, maintain character, and fulfill any other IC obligations they might have.

It irks me when people intentionally don't group together, explore together, induct each other, etc. just because they happen to know who plays who. I suppose of those people don't think they have the discipline to handle that, fine, but I think it's kind of lame to avoid situations your character would have no problem with just because the player has a problem with it.

I concede that the way I approach CF probably isn't smiled upon by every Imm out there, and I don't really care. While I certainly try to respect the spirit of the rules with regards to that kind of thing, sometimes I think people (staff and players) just take it way too seriously. Plus, I don't think I've ever been "talked to".

That's just my $0.02 on the matter. Like I said, I think some people just make such a fuss out of something that really shouldn't matter in 2010, as long as certain boundaries aren't crossed and the characters are still playing out their roles correctly and responsibly.

ranger101 (Guest)Mon 25-Jan-10 06:09 PM

#30381, "RE: As far as I'm aware"
In response to Reply #2

I have around 30 or so people on my aim that I met through cf and a few of them are my best friends irl. I also got astillian playing again so watch out.

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Mon 25-Jan-10 06:28 PM

#30382, "Watching out will be easy"
In response to Reply #5

A group of 30 will be hard to miss walking down eastern.

Onewinged_guest (Guest)Wed 27-Jan-10 10:32 PM

#30469, "RE: Watching out will be easy"
In response to Reply #6

Now I would just laugh my ass off if I saw that...I'm kinda hoping it happens now...and someone logs it. It would be hilarious!

trewynThu 28-Jan-10 02:33 AM
Member since 04th Jan 2005
269 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30472, "Yeah, back in the day..."
In response to Reply #5

I used to have 60 cfers on my ICQ list and about 12 - 20 I talked to regularly. It was always fun to hear them all bitching about what my character was doing to them. Ahh... memories...

DaevrynMon 25-Jan-10 11:00 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30366, "RE: OOC connections"
In response to Reply #0

It's something we keep an eye on. Occasionally there are talks/consequences.

My gut feeling is that a small portion of the playerbase has repeated/frequent problems with it, and the rest either rarely or never has a problem with it.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #30365 Previous topic | Next topic