Subject: "Late skill practice" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #30006
Show all folders

Muter (Guest)Mon 18-Jan-10 12:10 AM

#30006, "Late skill practice"

Everyone says a buffed up muter out-tanks people, but I get hit by unarmed easy kill mobs basically every swing while wielding a staff. At this point I get maybe 4-5 rounds against a mob before needing to rest. At this pace it's entirely not worth continuing.

Here's the question. Say you're in the 40+ range and your parry and weapon skills are pretty much at 75%. Do you just delete? I'm coming over to the camp that says that you must max your skills at low levels or you're in for dozens of hours of practice later. I always thought the game really couldn't be that poorly designed, but I dunno, I'm thinking maybe it is.

So how do you master defenses in less than say, 2-3 hours as the above character? Oh yeah, and no a/b/s, slave healer, infinite gold, or other unreasonable things.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply RE: Late skill practice, Praeto (Guest), 19-Jan-10 10:14 AM, #11
Reply There is a good way to master your defences as muter., Dervish, 18-Jan-10 09:47 AM, #6
Reply RE: Late skill practice, another muter (Guest), 18-Jan-10 09:33 AM, #5
Reply My current char has mastered defenses, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 18-Jan-10 03:57 AM, #4
Reply RE: Late skill practice, Daevryn, 18-Jan-10 12:51 AM, #1
     Reply Really?, Muter (Guest), 18-Jan-10 01:03 AM, #2
          Reply RE: Really?, warriorguy (Guest), 18-Jan-10 01:15 AM, #3
               Reply I can't tell you how completly unnecessary, Pro (Guest), 18-Jan-10 10:03 AM, #7
               Reply RE: I can't tell you how completly unnecessary, _Magus_2 (Guest), 19-Jan-10 10:12 AM, #10
                    Reply Nice theory, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 19-Jan-10 02:17 PM, #12
                    Reply Heh, I don't even remember the last time I read the par..., _Magus_2 (Guest), 19-Jan-10 03:37 PM, #17
                    Reply RE: I can't tell you how completly unnecessary, Daevryn, 19-Jan-10 02:23 PM, #15
                         Reply As crazy as this sounds...., TMNS_lazy (Guest), 19-Jan-10 03:33 PM, #16
               Reply How can one get all weapons into 90% in 3-4 hours?, HolyMoly (Guest), 19-Jan-10 09:08 AM, #8
                    Reply I also don't know that trick. (n/t), Daevryn, 19-Jan-10 09:28 AM, #9
                         Reply I know a way, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 19-Jan-10 02:20 PM, #13
                              Reply RE: I know a way, Daevryn, 19-Jan-10 02:22 PM, #14

Praeto (Guest)Tue 19-Jan-10 10:14 AM

#30037, "RE: Late skill practice"
In response to Reply #0

It's not that hard to practice your skills as a muter, you just have to know where to do it. And it takes a while so have patience. It is good to do it early on while you can be hasted and wearing a healing ring while it is still decent healing. But it can easily be done later down the road. One MUST is take the Grace under pressure edge, and master of self edge, those two will make your defenses a lot better. I found a mob that could barely hurt me in an out of the way area, made sure my weapon could hurt it, and spent a few hours doing it.

DervishMon 18-Jan-10 09:47 AM
Member since 11th Oct 2003
617 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via ICQ
#30014, "There is a good way to master your defences as muter."
In response to Reply #0

But I doubt IMMs allow me to write it here. So just ask IC

another muter (Guest)Mon 18-Jan-10 09:33 AM

#30013, "RE: Late skill practice"
In response to Reply #0

The new commands

'skill learn parry'

and

'skill learn staff'

are your best friend. Aside from spellcraft and arguably metabolic unity you really don't have any other skills to practice that desperately so increase them as you level.

With a recent muter I had parry at 96% and staff at 95% pretty much from very occaisional use and just advancements as I levelled by level 40. Never cared much about whip or dagger myself so those are still in the low 80's though.

Now if you're already level 40 and your parry and staff are at 75%? Yeah, it's going to be a long, slow slog. Put up desensitize, arcane absorbption, corporeal hardening for damage reduction, find some easy mobs that don't do anything fancy, and bring a good book. A practice staff might not hurt, either.

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Mon 18-Jan-10 03:57 AM

#30012, "My current char has mastered defenses"
In response to Reply #0

And I never stopped to practice them. I just slapped on skill learn for a bit.

There are mobs you can safely practice defenses on even at hero.

DaevrynMon 18-Jan-10 12:51 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30008, "RE: Late skill practice"
In response to Reply #0

>So how do you master defenses in less than say, 2-3 hours as
>the above character? Oh yeah, and no a/b/s, slave healer,
>infinite gold, or other unreasonable things.

You don't. You also probably can't do it at low levels with the same character with the restrictions you lay out at low levels either.

Muter (Guest)Mon 18-Jan-10 01:03 AM

#30009, "Really?"
In response to Reply #1

>You don't. You also probably can't do it at low levels with
>the same character with the restrictions you lay out at low
>levels either.

Alright so how many hours should it take? Do you think there's a big difference between whether you do it at 19 or 49?

warriorguy (Guest)Mon 18-Jan-10 01:15 AM

#30010, "RE: Really?"
In response to Reply #2

When I master defences, I do it at 15. As a warrior/assassin/ranger..depending on race 3-4hrs by lvl 25 I have all my weapons 100% or very close to...Would be very painful to do on a mage......

Pro (Guest)Mon 18-Jan-10 10:03 AM

#30015, "I can't tell you how completly unnecessary"
In response to Reply #3

It is to do that. There are only 4 times I bother to actually practice defenses and NEVER weapons.

For defenses at level 1 for fighting races I take 10 mins to get them to 80 then I am gone. As I get new defensive skills I just let them go up naturally. They will max or be in the 90's by the 30's and I rank fast and rarely solo.

I will practice defenses at all after 1st is when I can't find a group or I'm too distracted to group. That's just the logical and most efficent use of time in a MPRPG.

The other two times are to quickly spam up wilderness familiarity or. Shield block to get shield mastery.

When some one tells me they are soloing to 20 or busy mastering whip, I get dizzy from the lameness.

Grouping is your friend when it comes to learning weapons annnnnd defense!

_Magus_2 (Guest)Tue 19-Jan-10 10:12 AM

#30036, "RE: I can't tell you how completly unnecessary"
In response to Reply #7

I agree that it seems completely unnecessary spam practicing weapons. It also seems equally lame.

However, I feel like there is a difference in how well you defend if you know the weapon you're defending against better. 90's in most weapons satisfies this theory for me.

I've also theorized that how well you know a weapon determines how easily you can disarm it.

For a melee class, those are two really good reasons to spam practice weapons at least some.

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Tue 19-Jan-10 02:17 PM

#30043, "Nice theory"
In response to Reply #10

I agree with both, but the first is actually spelt out in the parry helpfile!

_Magus_2 (Guest)Tue 19-Jan-10 03:37 PM

#30052, "Heh, I don't even remember the last time I read the par..."
In response to Reply #12

But you're right, it is clearly spelled out.

DaevrynTue 19-Jan-10 02:23 PM
11117 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30049, "RE: I can't tell you how completly unnecessary"
In response to Reply #10

>I've also theorized that how well you know a weapon determines
>how easily you can disarm it.

This is true; however (and this is also true with parry), you get almost all of the benefit just by spending the practices on the weapons. (That is, having the weapon at something like 75% instead of 0% or 1% gives you most of the benefit.)

TMNS_lazy (Guest)Tue 19-Jan-10 03:33 PM

#30051, "As crazy as this sounds...."
In response to Reply #15

...sometimes one successful parry (especially against villager berserkers) or one landed disarm will win a fight.

But yeah, unless I'm playing a sword spec, I really really don't care how high my weapons skills/parry is (other than, as D said, getting them to around 75%).

HolyMoly (Guest)Tue 19-Jan-10 09:08 AM

#30034, "How can one get all weapons into 90% in 3-4 hours?"
In response to Reply #3

I wish I knew that trick!

DaevrynTue 19-Jan-10 09:28 AM
11117 posts
#30035, "I also don't know that trick. (n/t)"
In response to Reply #8

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Tue 19-Jan-10 02:20 PM

#30045, "I know a way"
In response to Reply #9

Which also perfects defenses.

However, it is:
a) Still hours of tedium,
b) Requires the use of certain mobs (about a dozen of them), which in turn requires an area and all surrounding areas to be completely deserted (which isn't that common).
c) Requires you to lead the mobs a long way, since where they come from is not safe to spam.
d) Requires you to redirect from mob to mob very freqently so that you don't accidentally kill them, which is also a pain in the butt.

Hence I don't bother with it.

DaevrynTue 19-Jan-10 02:22 PM
11117 posts
#30046, "RE: I know a way"
In response to Reply #13

>a) Still hours of tedium,

In that case it probably wouldn't be the 3 hours to every weapon over 90% that the great-grandparent or whatever poster claims.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #30006 Previous topic | Next topic