Subject: "practicing scrolls" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #30005
Show all folders

dudeMon 18-Jan-10 12:02 AM
Member since 10th Aug 2008
77 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30005, "practicing scrolls"

I have been trying to practice the scrolls skill. I found a cheap source of level 10 scrolls. At level 10 I bought and read 135 of them and improved 1% from getting one right and 2% from learning from mistakes on one scroll. I tried again with the same scrolls at level 13. I bought 100 scrolls and read them all. I improved another 1%. Are these results typical? Is there anything I should be doing different? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Yeah, you should be, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 18-Jan-10 03:54 AM, #2
Reply RE: Yeah, you should be, dude, 18-Jan-10 06:39 PM, #4
     Reply Ok, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 18-Jan-10 08:00 PM, #6
          Reply That was helpful, dude, 19-Jan-10 05:25 PM, #7
               Reply Something you should know, Daurwyn2 (Guest), 19-Jan-10 05:35 PM, #8
Reply RE: practicing scrolls, Daevryn, 18-Jan-10 12:50 AM, #1
     Reply 23 int. nt, dude, 18-Jan-10 05:11 PM, #3
          Reply RE: 23 int. nt, Daevryn, 18-Jan-10 07:06 PM, #5

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Mon 18-Jan-10 03:54 AM

#30011, "Yeah, you should be"
In response to Reply #0

By now, you could have got enough exploration exp to take an edge to conserve scrolls when you fail them.

You could have just set skill learn to scrolls, like someone suggested to you when you asked on the newbie channel, but apparently its too important for you to improve something else.

dudeMon 18-Jan-10 06:39 PM
77 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30026, "RE: Yeah, you should be"
In response to Reply #2

The point isn't to try and conserve scrolls, I don't really care about that. Skill learn scrolls is definitely an option and I am fully aware of it. I just wanted to know if spamming scrolls is a decent option as well. I have not tried spamming scrolls before so I didn't know if these results were typical or I was doing something wrong. I am not sure if you were trying to be helpful. If you were thanks, but you really just came of as trying to be a jerk, from my point of view.

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Mon 18-Jan-10 08:00 PM

#30028, "Ok"
In response to Reply #4

Here's a serious answer, which probably won't help.

Spamming scrolls to perfection is achievable. I've done it myself in the past with a gnome thief.

Whether or not you consider it viable though completely depends on your boredom threshold. Whether or not it is worthwhile depends on the opportunity cost (i.e. what you are giving up by spending the time and money spamming scrolls) relative to what you gain (reliable scroll use for most class, and possible avoiding level gains being used on the scrolls skill).

That said, I don't think this question is a newbie channel one, to be frank. I keep the channel on to help newbs that need help, not to hear this kind of question. Sure, I don't answer it, but it is still a distraction as are the responses that then ensue. I came across as a jerk because I'm annoyed at this question being asked there. However, I didn't express my annoyance at the time because I didn't want to make it worse for others who felt as I do. It came out here, on the forum instead.

dudeTue 19-Jan-10 05:25 PM
77 posts
#30056, "That was helpful"
In response to Reply #6

All that I really wanted was a typical or not typical answer so I could decide if it was worth trying to perfect. I guess I thought that it was no big deal to ask on the newbie channel because I just wanted a quick answer to something new to me. I suppose forums were a better place since this is where I got the answers I wanted.

Daurwyn2 (Guest)Tue 19-Jan-10 05:35 PM

#30057, "Something you should know"
In response to Reply #7

When I last played thieves, you could still fail scrolls with 100% in the skill. Not sure if that's changed since the thief point system got changed though. Both my gnome pure trapper and my felar pure thug failed scrolls with the skill perfected.

DaevrynMon 18-Jan-10 12:50 AM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#30007, "RE: practicing scrolls"
In response to Reply #0

Depending on your int, you might be tending on the lucky side.

dudeMon 18-Jan-10 05:11 PM
77 posts
#30023, "23 int. nt"
In response to Reply #1

no text

DaevrynMon 18-Jan-10 07:06 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#30027, "RE: 23 int. nt"
In response to Reply #3

Then I would say your results are typical, or better.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #30005 Previous topic | Next topic