Subject: "!Wood-elf Warriors!" Previous topic | Next topic
Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend CF Website
Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #299
Show all folders

SopaWed 05-Mar-03 12:21 PM
Member since 04th Mar 2003
7 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#299, "!Wood-elf Warriors!"

Hello everyone,
I think wood-elfs are really nice characters to play, they have i really nice history and all... but the warriors are quite weak near others, for example:
->the max stats for a wood-elf warrior:
F19 I23 W21 D24 C17 CH22
Total EXP penalty: 400
->the max for arial warrior:
F19 I23 W20 D25 C18 CH18 ***And they FLY***

The stats for an arial WARRIOR is much better than the wood-elf WARRIOR... and the arials fly(Really good thing for warriors), so why the EXP penalty for a wood-elf warrior is much bigger than the arial penalty????!!!!

thanx everyone,
ME

Alert | IP Printer Friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Reply Holy thread resurrector Batman! , TMNS, 21-Jun-10 02:24 PM, #15
Reply RE: Holy thread resurrector Batman! , robdarken_, 26-Dec-13 04:02 PM, #20
     Reply well strunk.~, blackbird, 27-Dec-13 08:23 AM, #21
          Reply a tradition is born. nt, vargal, 27-Dec-13 09:59 AM, #22
Reply Slight additional detail on XP penalty for wood-elves, Splntrd, 25-Dec-04 08:57 PM, #8
Reply RE: !Wood-elf Warriors!, Valguarnera, 05-Mar-03 01:47 PM, #2
Reply who will want a wood elf warrior???!!!, Sopa, 05-Mar-03 02:21 PM, #3
Reply Please don't trade characters, Yanoreth, 05-Mar-03 11:40 PM, #4
     Reply RE: Please don't trade characters, Quislet, 07-Mar-03 03:50 AM, #5
          Reply You are right... i was not going to trade it..., Sopa, 08-Mar-03 04:22 PM, #6
               Reply RE: You are right... i was not going to trade it..., incognito, 21-Jun-10 01:55 PM, #14
Reply Don't forget those nasty elemental vulns arials have, Drag0nSt0rm, 25-Dec-04 08:50 AM, #7
Reply RE: !Wood-elf Warriors!, Eskelian, 21-Jun-10 07:00 AM, #9
Reply RE: !Wood-elf Warriors!, Racli, 05-Mar-03 01:17 PM, #1
     Reply RE: !Wood-elf Warriors!, Eskelian, 21-Jun-10 07:03 AM, #10
          Reply Definitly down with that clown. n/t, Pro, 21-Jun-10 11:18 AM, #11
          Reply Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?, Valkenar, 21-Jun-10 01:40 PM, #12
               Reply RE: Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?, Pro, 21-Jun-10 01:51 PM, #13
               Reply RE: Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?, Eskelian, 21-Jun-10 02:27 PM, #16
                    Reply Not convinced about that, incognito, 21-Jun-10 05:15 PM, #17
                    Reply RE: Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?, Daevryn, 21-Jun-10 06:44 PM, #18
                         Reply RE: Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?, Eskelian, 21-Jun-10 10:26 PM, #19

TMNSMon 21-Jun-10 02:24 PM
Member since 10th Jun 2009
2670 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33447, "Holy thread resurrector Batman! "
In response to Reply #0

6 years. Impressive.

robdarken_Thu 26-Dec-13 04:02 PM
Member since 09th Sep 2009
373 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#53391, "RE: Holy thread resurrector Batman! "
In response to Reply #15

c 'animate thread' 299

blackbirdFri 27-Dec-13 08:23 AM
Member since 04th Sep 2009
178 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to send message via AOL IM
#53399, "well strunk.~"
In response to Reply #20

vargalFri 27-Dec-13 09:59 AM
Member since 07th Apr 2004
384 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#53400, "a tradition is born. nt"
In response to Reply #21

enn teee

SplntrdSat 25-Dec-04 08:57 PM
Member since 08th Feb 2004
1096 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6736, "Slight additional detail on XP penalty for wood-elves"
In response to Reply #0

In accompaniment with keeping the rarity of wood-elves, the XP penalty discourages people from rolling up wood-elves instead of elves or dark-elves because they want to play an elf without the XP penalty.

Splntrd

ValguarneraWed 05-Mar-03 01:47 PM
6904 posts
#302, "RE: !Wood-elf Warriors!"
In response to Reply #0

You'll also notice that gnomes stack up even more poorly for warriors, but I don't think the solution there is to make gnomes tougher. Different folks have different inclinations. I'll also add that wood-elves look pretty good against arials in several of their other class options.

In defense of wood-elf warrior, their enhanced vision solves a lot of problems that an arial has zero solutions for. Don't forget hydrophobia either.

Finally, XP-penalty encompasses a lot of things, including intended rarity. It's also a pretty minor drawback that goes away (for the most part) when you hero.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com

SopaWed 05-Mar-03 02:21 PM
7 posts
#303, "who will want a wood elf warrior???!!!"
In response to Reply #2

i have one because i realised that after 20 hours of game...

YanorethWed 05-Mar-03 11:40 PM
Member since 10th Mar 2003
896 posts
#306, "Please don't trade characters"
In response to Reply #3

It ruins the roleplay of the character (two different people playing it), and it is against the rules here. And no, we don't allow you to permanently trade them to someone else, either.

QuisletFri 07-Mar-03 03:50 AM
240 posts
#322, "RE: Please don't trade characters"
In response to Reply #4

I don't think he intended trading, I think he was really asking "Why would someone want to play a wood elf warrior?". He's commenting that if he knew about the stats before playing one for 20 hours, he wouldn't have played one in the first place.

SopaSat 08-Mar-03 04:22 PM
7 posts
#325, "You are right... i was not going to trade it..."
In response to Reply #5

incognitoMon 21-Jun-10 01:55 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33446, "RE: You are right... i was not going to trade it..."
In response to Reply #6

Wood-elf isn't so bad.

The advantages of a wood-elf, besides acute-vision, are mainly the lack of vulns to spell-type attacks.

That means if you are a spec that's decent against physical attacks, you are less vulnerable than an arial. Sure, you can get hit by the active skills, but you can also take legacies to minimise that.

Wood-elf also has quiet movement, which is HUGE when you come up against someone who has largely automated their client so that they only need to press one key to dash after you. There's nothing more annoying than running into one of those guys, which is why I first developed my liking for drow.

This last point might be my imagination, but I always felt like my wood-elf swordspec regenerated better when in the wilds too.

I don't see wood-elf as one of the strongest races, but it's certainly viable. And to be honest, I'd rather not see the world populated with woodie warriors.

Having said that, I could live with seeing the wood-elf exp pen reduced if the druid exp pen was increased significantly.

Drag0nSt0rmSat 25-Dec-04 08:50 AM
450 posts
#6734, "Don't forget those nasty elemental vulns arials have"
In response to Reply #2

Being weak to Lightening and Water damage is bad, as well as being susceptble to a buffet.
Though I hate that Iron vuln.

EskelianMon 21-Jun-10 07:00 AM
2023 posts
#33436, "RE: !Wood-elf Warriors!"
In response to Reply #2

This is probably a good example of less is more. The "niceness" of allowing wood-elves as an option for say, warriors, probably outweighs the number of times that a newbie picks it thinking it'll be cool only to find out its fairly crippled compared to other warriors.

It's logical to think that a 400XP penalty char must have a lot better stuff than a 0XP penalty char or 100XP penalty char.

RacliWed 05-Mar-03 01:17 PM
70 posts
#301, "RE: !Wood-elf Warriors!"
In response to Reply #0

I have to agree there. Sure, 22 charisma can be nice... if you're a bard. And sure, acute vision can be nice... if you're a wood-elf turned evil scion or a rager when they're at war for sylvan, but acute vision and the high charisma I feel isn't enough to force a 400 penalty when you consider the FULL iron vuln. 400 seems kinda steep.

Arials... water and lightning vuln. specialized EQ, that's why their penalty is so low. I always thought it should be like 300 though. Perma fly means you dont gotta worry about boats or getting tripped. know how annoying it is to walk all the way to Hamsah then realize you dont have a boat and have to go get money to buy one?

--SIG
Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights make a left

EskelianMon 21-Jun-10 07:03 AM
2023 posts
#33437, "RE: !Wood-elf Warriors!"
In response to Reply #1

It should be like 500. Arials are way too common.

ProMon 21-Jun-10 11:18 AM
Member since 14th Apr 2010
776 posts
#33443, "Definitly down with that clown. n/t"
In response to Reply #10

Gjrhe

ValkenarMon 21-Jun-10 01:40 PM
1203 posts
#33444, "Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?"
In response to Reply #10

>It should be like 500. Arials are way too common.

I'd agree with bumping them to 300, but 500? Nah.

ProMon 21-Jun-10 01:51 PM
Member since 14th Apr 2010
776 posts
#33445, "RE: Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?"
In response to Reply #12

Def 500.

EskelianMon 21-Jun-10 02:27 PM
2023 posts
#33448, "RE: Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?"
In response to Reply #12

I think Daurwyn actually necro'd it. Was up here already when I looked at it.

incognitoMon 21-Jun-10 05:15 PM
4495 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33455, "Not convinced about that"
In response to Reply #16

Do posts here get ordered by local time, or by time at the cf end?

My post is numbered 14 and yours 10, and I thought I saw a recent comment of yours when I posted (although I wasn't paying particular attention).

DaevrynMon 21-Jun-10 06:44 PM
Member since 13th Feb 2007
11117 posts
#33458, "RE: Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?"
In response to Reply #16

Nah, you posted on a handful of 7 year old threads -- I think you must have set a preference for oldest first or something.

EskelianMon 21-Jun-10 10:26 PM
2023 posts
#33462, "RE: Did Eskellion just take Master Animator?"
In response to Reply #18

Huh. No idea how that happened. My settings look ok.

Top General Discussions Gameplay Topic #299 Previous topic | Next topic